CDC: Forget about the official 2.3 million infected with coronavirus. The number is closer to 20 million

pyetro

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2019
The number of people infected with COVID-19 in the United States is likely to be 10 times higher than the official number:

The number of Americans who have been infected with the novel coronavirus is likely 10 times higher than the 2.3 million confirmed cases, according to the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In a call with reporters Thursday, CDC Director Robert Redfield said, “Our best estimate right now is that for every case that’s reported, there actually are 10 other infections.”

Redfield said the estimate is based on blood samples collected from across the country that look for the presence of antibodies to the virus. For every confirmed case of covid-19, 10 more people had antibodies, Redfield said.

Using that methodology would pushes the tally of U.S. cases to at least 23 million.

This is likely true. There are many millions who are/were infected and had no idea.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is accurate. Or at least that it is closer to 20 than 2. Considering how most show no/little symptoms and therefore never got tested I can easily see it being that high.

Hell I had weird chest tightness/pain for about 5 days in early March. No fever or cough. Who the hell knows.

According to the cdc, 55 million Americans were infected with H1N1 in 2009.

80 percent of the 575,000 deaths were under 65, including over 1100 children.

Not one business closed, or sporting event canceled, or mass demand for mass testing or no blame from every person in the press. Instead, your skinny marxist messiah was praised as the second coming of Peter Pan.

Press Didn't give us a daily update of the infections and deaths.

Last edited:
We've known this all along. 10X is likely low end.

I've seen estimates from back in March/April that indicated 100-300X. As testing ramped up we're catching more, but still lucky if we're getting 10%, as most cases are either asymptomatic or mild. People are not bothering to get tested for just a headache or something.

It's why our CFR is still likely too high.

It's why we've needed, and still need, widespread randomized antibody testing. Why that hasn't been done I have no feckin idea, but without it we do not know the actual number of infections that have occurred, so we don't know how many likely targets it still has, we don't know what the actual fatality rate is. Basically it's a critical variable in multiple models that we have no handle on whatsoever.

I've seen estimates from back in March/April that indicated 100-300X. As testing ramped up we're catching more, but still lucky if we're getting 10%, as most cases are either asymptomatic or mild. People are not bothering to get tested for just a headache or something.

It's why we've needed, and still need, widespread randomized antibody testing. Why that hasn't been done I have no feckin idea, but without it we do not know the actual number of infections that have occurred, so we don't know how many likely targets it still has, we don't know what the actual fatality rate is. Basically it's a critical variable in multiple models that we have no handle on whatsoever.
How do cities states or counties conduct widespread random testing?

How would that be done? I voluntarily did it 3 weeks ago, and I am going again Sunday. Made an appointment.

You see, this subject is not about testing or accuracy out of "concern" of the virus. The op and the media are just playing politics. They are like water on a sidewalk getting into any crack of the administration they can find.

In this case the cracks only need to be perceived and not real. That is all it takes.

That is the point of the op. They really don't care about ANYTHING ELSE other than their agenda and that is to win elections.

The number of people infected with COVID-19 in the United States is likely to be 10 times higher than the official number:

The number of Americans who have been infected with the novel coronavirus is likely 10 times higher than the 2.3 million confirmed cases, according to the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In a call with reporters Thursday, CDC Director Robert Redfield said, “Our best estimate right now is that for every case that’s reported, there actually are 10 other infections.”

Redfield said the estimate is based on blood samples collected from across the country that look for the presence of antibodies to the virus. For every confirmed case of covid-19, 10 more people had antibodies, Redfield said.

Using that methodology would pushes the tally of U.S. cases to at least 23 million.
Cool.

That puts the US death rate at .006%.

Nice Job, President Trump.

CNN's Brianna Keilar said it best: "I have a two-year-old son. If I hadn't taken a pregnancy test - I'd still have a two-year-old son."

The false narrative has changed from "bend the curve" to "the death rate" and now to "Cases spike". Why? Because the death rate has fallen 65% since April. Despite millions more infected.......

best-of-skateboard-fails.jpg

So the recovery rate is outstanding
Thank you President Trump

How do cities states or counties conduct widespread random testing?

How would that be done? I voluntarily did it 3 weeks ago, and I am going again Sunday. Made an appointment.

You see, this subject is not about testing or accuracy out of "concern" of the virus. The op and the media are just playing politics. They are like water on a sidewalk getting into any crack of the administration they can find.

In this case the cracks only need to be perceived and not real. That is all it takes.

That is the point of the op. They really don't care about ANYTHING ELSE other than their agenda and that is to win elections.

I agree that this has gotten insanely political. It's a testament to how really deeply and truly fucked up this country is at this point.

Anyhow, randomized testing could be done in a number of ways. In one country in Europe they literally just dialed random phone numbers until they got enough people willing to participate, I think it was 10,000 participants.

Here the NIH put out a call for volunteers to which they were going to send a home collection kit. Prick your finger, drip some blood into a little thingy, mail it back. I actually registered for that one via email, but wasn't selected. As an example of my "WTF is taking so long" on this thing, they were setting this up ~2 months ago to perform the actual sampling and study in JULY. We needed that data 2 months ago. 3-4 months to get this done? They had enough respondents in a single day. I'm sure there's some reason, but WTF get on it FFS.

In Massechusetts and in CA they set up antibody testing of just random passersby. When those tests started showing high rates of infection, and resultant fatality rates we now know are correct in the sub 1 percent range, those studies were maligned, attacked and disregarded by the lockdown crowd. Here in Chicago they set up an antibody testing center for about 2 weeks at a hospitial. It was showing 30+% a positivity rate for presence of antibodies back in April IIRC. They shut that down PDQ and the state hasn't fired it back up again, suddenly saying it wasn't a priority, except that it is, and a major one at that.

A shitload of people have had this. Way, way, way more than we thought or think. There is absolutely no doubt about it. Why they have been so slow to roll this out I have no idea, but had it been done months ago, we would have known months ago what the fatality rate and a host of other variables actually looked like.

Forum List

Back