CCleaner Hackers Targeted -

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Top Tech Firms' Trade Secrets

It also means average everyday users were caught up in the initial shotgun targeting blast. Your system might be infected but the new CCleaner update should get rid of it. Should though I would take other precautions such as go back to the last image restore point and reload that.

On Wednesday, researchers at Cisco's Talos security division said that more than 700,000 machines were infected as part of the CCleaner attack. The hackers used information collected from those machines to identify at least 20 high-profile tech firms — including Cisco itself — which were "served specialized secondary [Stage 2] payloads."

CCleaner Hackers Targeted Top Tech Firms' Trade Secrets

It also means average everyday users were caught up in the initial shotgun targeting blast. Your system might be infected but the new CCleaner update should get rid of it. Should though I would take other precautions such as go back to the last image restore point and reload that.

On Wednesday, researchers at Cisco's Talos security division said that more than 700,000 machines were infected as part of the CCleaner attack. The hackers used information collected from those machines to identify at least 20 high-profile tech firms — including Cisco itself — which were "served specialized secondary [Stage 2] payloads."

So, I've used CCleaner for years. Always the free version. Should I uninstall it?

So, I've used CCleaner for years. Always the free version. Should I uninstall it?
I stopped using it a while ago but using it or not is up to you,
Here's why I uninstalled CCleaner:
Why your registry doesn't need cleaning

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I haven't updated for over a year. I'm thinking on deleting the program entirely.

I stopped using it a while ago but using it or not is up to you,
Here's why I uninstalled CCleaner:
Why your registry doesn't need cleaning
I've gotten a popup or two from it that I find very annoying, and they're promotional, and I can't find a way to shut them off.

I'm going to uninstall it.

I haven't updated for over a year. I'm thinking on deleting the program entirely.
Every update notice I ever got from CCleaner was to buy their pay version.

I just uninstalled it.

There's no need for it nowadays besides it's owned by Avast as is AVG Antivirus and I just found out Avast (who was my go to free antivirus) is selling user's browser histories.........

Relax. That's what Avast told the public after its browser extensions were found harvesting users' data to supply to marketers. Last month, the antivirus company tried to justify the practice by claiming the collected web histories were stripped of users' personal details before being handed off.

"The data is fully de-identified and aggregated and cannot be used to personally identify or target you," Avast told users, who opt in to the data sharing. In return, your privacy is preserved, Avast gets paid, and online marketers get a trove of "aggregate" consumer data to help them sell more products.

There's just one problem: What should be a giant chunk of anonymized web history data can actually be picked apart and linked back to individual Avast users, according to a joint investigation by PCMag and Motherboard.

The Cost of Avast's Free Antivirus: Companies Can Spy on Your Clicks

I just uninstalled it.
That's not all, see post #9

I just uninstalled it.
Yup, but, I use Bitdefender. Been using that for quite awhile.

I just started using the new Microsoft Edge browser too, and I swear you can't tell it apart from Chrome, but, it eats up a lot less system resources.

I just uninstalled it.
Yup, but, I use Bitdefender. Been using that for quite awhile.

I just started using the new Microsoft Edge browser too, and I swear you can't tell it apart from Chrome, but, it eats up a lot less system resources.
You can't tell it apart because it's built on Chromium, the open source browser Chrome is built on. If you have the paid version of Bitdefender you have what is currently the best ranked AV on the market today. That said if you use the free version you might as well use Windows Defender as it's just as good. Coming from me who learned many, many eons ago never to trust Microsoft built in AV software that's saying more than a mouthful. Windows Defender is now on the short list of best AVs and it specifically designed to work with Windows, no popups, no trying to sell you anything and it's already built in. The only real difference between Microsoft Defender and the paid version of Bitdefender is Bitdefender just offers a tad more protection.
I now just use Windows Defender on all my Windows machines. Honestly there are times I can't believe I'm using Windows Defender........... Times change.

Last edited:
I used it for years when I was using Windows.

But when avast! bought it, I uninstalled. Then eventually quit using Windows completely.

This isn't the first instance of this.

But it basically all started whe avast! bought it.

Speaking of avast!, you really don't even need to use an antivirus.

It's basically an onboard snitch these days.

As always, good browsing habits are the best protection.

Speaking of avast!, you really don't even need to use an antivirus.

It's basically an onboard snitch these days.

As always, good browsing habits are the best protection.
That makes you part of the .001% of all web surfers who actually read the page address....... If that's what you do........
Website clones are everywhere and they rely on the ignorance of users to click on their links. Most users are clueless.

Forum List

Back