CBO deficit outlook

oldfart

Older than dirt
Nov 5, 2009
Redneck Riviera
I know I haven't posted much in the last few weeks, but I'll try to do better. Today the CBO released its 2014 long-term budget projections. Of course no one has had time to read the whole thing yet, but what I have skimmed is disturbing. The report can be found here:

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/45471-Long-TermBudgetOutlook.pdf

My bone to pick with the report is that it seems based on junk economics and is unduly alarming about the growth of the deficit. It seems written by the worst hacks among the deficit hawks. In particular, here is what makes it bad economics.

1. The projections rest heavily on increases in spending in the out years. Most of this is in two categories, health care spending and net interest. I'm not sure that the health care costs reflect the improvement in cost controls we are seeing in the ACA. Beyond that, there are some administrative changes that would dramatically reduce the increase in these costs which are probably going to be made eventually, such as negotiated drug contracts for all government agencies. Factor in reasonable assumptions about these and health spending as a percentage of GDP becomes flat. The net interest forecast assumes a return to 40-year averages, but there is absolutely no theoretical justification for this. The best theory indicated the Wicksellian long-term rate of interest is falling. If the Fed decides to raise interest rates in a soft economy, the CBO estimates may be right, but the economy will tank. The CBO estimate that spending will rise from the current 21% to 26% by 2039 seems to me to be inflated. If health care expenses rise from 4% to 4.5% (not 6%) and net interest rises from 2% to 2.5% (not 4.5%), total spending only increases to 22.5% of GDP. The projected revenue increase is from 17.5% to 19.5%. That keeps the deficit at 3% of GDP and the accelerating deficit argument is moot.

2. CBO drags out the tired and discredited idea that deficits crowd out private investment. With businesses sitting on trillions of dollars of excess cash, it seems delusional to me that anyone would advance this ludicrous argument. CBO is also projecting the virtual elimination of all public investment, which is a more severe threat to economic growth than any deficit could ever be. It's bad economics and a prescription for economic catastrophe. You want a permanent recession, this is how you get it.

I'm familiar with CBO methodology and I understand why they made the choices they did. What I don't understand is why they chose to couch the results in a deficit hawk setting as opposed to an analysis that promoted economic growth. It reads like they are channeling the R & R paper of ill fame, right down to implying the bogus 90% threshold.

CBO looks at three alternative scenarios. The first involves tax cuts with no alteration in spending. This produces the worst results with output stagnating. The second mixes tax increases with reductions in entitlement programs, and results in better results. The third is a more aggressive deficit reduction and it also produces an enhancement in growth. The best strategy, targeted tax increases, maintaining safety net programs, and increased public investment, is not even considered. This is strange given that a month ago CBO issued a report on the return to public investment. I guess they don't read their own reports.

In short, the dangers of future deficits are overblown and based on bad economics and the remedies examined fall into the bad or worse categories. Maybe the days of paying any attention to the CBO long term model are over. This one is worse than useless, and it seems intentionally so.

Granny says, "Good - now dey can send her dat 2nd stimulus check she never got...

US budget deficit dips to $128.7 billion in August
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The federal government ran a lower budget deficit this August than a year ago, remaining on track to record the lowest deficit for the entire year since 2008.
The August deficit was $128.7 billion, down 13 percent from the $147.9 billion deficit recorded in August 2013, the Treasury Department said Thursday in its monthly budget report. With just one month left in the budget year, the deficit totals $589.2 billion, 22 percent below last year's 11-month total. The Congressional Budget Office expects the government to run a sizable surplus in September that will allow the government to close out the budget year with a deficit of $506 billion, the lowest since 2008.

The improvement this year has occurred because of a 7.7 percent increase in tax revenues that offset a smaller 0.8 percent increase in spending. Revenues have been boosted by an improving economy and a tax increase that started taking effect in January 2013 that raised taxes on upper income individuals and eliminated a tax break workers had been getting on their Social Security taxes in the aftermath of the Great Recession. On the spending side, outlays have been restrained by efforts to get control of soaring budget deficits and by an improving economy which has cut spending in such areas as unemployment benefits and food stamps.

With one month remaining in this budget year, outlays total $3.25 trillion while revenues total $2.66 trillion. If the deficit comes in at $506 billion as CBO is forecasting, that would be 26 percent below last year's imbalance and the lowest annual total since the 2008 deficit of $458.6 billion. The 2007-2009 recession and efforts to deal with the financial crisis sent deficits soaring above $1 trillion for four straight years. The deficit hit $1.4 trillion in 2009 and remained above $1 trillion for each of the next three years, finally falling to $680.2 billion last year.

The CBO's latest forecast, released last month, sees the deficit declining to $469 billion next year before starting to rise again. The CBO forecast has the deficit climbing above $800 billion in 2021 and above $900 billion in 2022 and beyond. The big driver of those deficits will be the rising cost of Social Security and Medicare for the 78 million retiring baby boomers. Republicans blame President Barack Obama for failing to propose significant cuts to reduce soaring entitle costs. Democrats counter that Republicans would rather slash needed government benefit programs than impose higher taxes on the wealthy.

Neither side has shown any desire to make major concessions in this congressional election year. Republicans controlling the House have unveiled a short-term spending bill that would keep the government open until Dec. 11. That would buy time to negotiate a catchall, $1 trillion-plus spending bill after the November midterm elections. There is little expectation that there will be a repeat of last year's tea party uprising when conservatives forced a budget standoff over implementing the new health care law that sparked a 16-day partial government shutdown.

AP Newswire Stars and Stripes

I know I haven't posted much in the last few weeks, but I'll try to do better. Today the CBO released its 2014 long-term budget projections.

I'm familiar with CBO methodology and I understand why they made the choices they did. What I don't understand is why they chose to couch the results in a deficit hawk setting as opposed to an analysis that promoted economic growth. It reads like they are channeling the R & R paper of ill fame, right down to implying the bogus 90% threshold.

CBO looks at three alternative scenarios. The first involves tax cuts with no alteration in spending. This produces the worst results with output stagnating. The second mixes tax increases with reductions in entitlement programs, and results in better results. The third is a more aggressive deficit reduction and it also produces an enhancement in growth. The best strategy, targeted tax increases, maintaining safety net programs, and increased public investment, is not even considered. This is strange given that a month ago CBO issued a report on the return to public investment. I guess they don't read their own reports.

In short, the dangers of future deficits are overblown and based on bad economics and the remedies examined fall into the bad or worse categories. Maybe the days of paying any attention to the CBO long term model are over. This one is worse than useless, and it seems intentionally so.

I cannot get the link to work, but I've heard/read similar information. I think the answer to your question is a belief that there is no political will for a policy with increased public investment. For example, the cuts to NIH funding. I don't think there's any question that those cuts, coupled with increased requests to fund studies, are crowding out the most aggressive, risky and potentially greatly rewarding medical research. But given the anti-spending furor, no goper will defend more money. That's not to blame just one party. But the gopers will be teapartied.

Granny says, "Good - now dey can send her dat 2nd stimulus check she never got...

US budget deficit dips to $128.7 billion in August
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The federal government ran a lower budget deficit this August than a year ago, remaining on track to record the lowest deficit for the entire year since 2008.
The August deficit was $128.7 billion, down 13 percent from the $147.9 billion deficit recorded in August 2013, the Treasury Department said Thursday in its monthly budget report. With just one month left in the budget year, the deficit totals $589.2 billion, 22 percent below last year's 11-month total. The Congressional Budget Office expects the government to run a sizable surplus in September that will allow the government to close out the budget year with a deficit of $506 billion, the lowest since 2008.

The improvement this year has occurred because of a 7.7 percent increase in tax revenues that offset a smaller 0.8 percent increase in spending. Revenues have been boosted by an improving economy and a tax increase that started taking effect in January 2013 that raised taxes on upper income individuals and eliminated a tax break workers had been getting on their Social Security taxes in the aftermath of the Great Recession. On the spending side, outlays have been restrained by efforts to get control of soaring budget deficits and by an improving economy which has cut spending in such areas as unemployment benefits and food stamps.

With one month remaining in this budget year, outlays total $3.25 trillion while revenues total $2.66 trillion. If the deficit comes in at $506 billion as CBO is forecasting, that would be 26 percent below last year's imbalance and the lowest annual total since the 2008 deficit of $458.6 billion. The 2007-2009 recession and efforts to deal with the financial crisis sent deficits soaring above $1 trillion for four straight years. The deficit hit $1.4 trillion in 2009 and remained above $1 trillion for each of the next three years, finally falling to $680.2 billion last year.

The CBO's latest forecast, released last month, sees the deficit declining to $469 billion next year before starting to rise again. The CBO forecast has the deficit climbing above $800 billion in 2021 and above $900 billion in 2022 and beyond. The big driver of those deficits will be the rising cost of Social Security and Medicare for the 78 million retiring baby boomers. Republicans blame President Barack Obama for failing to propose significant cuts to reduce soaring entitle costs. Democrats counter that Republicans would rather slash needed government benefit programs than impose higher taxes on the wealthy.

Neither side has shown any desire to make major concessions in this congressional election year. Republicans controlling the House have unveiled a short-term spending bill that would keep the government open until Dec. 11. That would buy time to negotiate a catchall, $1 trillion-plus spending bill after the November midterm elections. There is little expectation that there will be a repeat of last year's tea party uprising when conservatives forced a budget standoff over implementing the new health care law that sparked a 16-day partial government shutdown.

AP Newswire Stars and Stripes

Yep. And CBO had a report out last week lowering the projections for interest expense on the national debt over the next ten years. I guess CBO reports no longer try to be consistent with themselves.

there is no political will for a policy with increased public investment. .

of course thats idiotic, 100% liberal and responsible for our $17 trillion debt!!!. The idea is to spend wisely not to always spend more and fail to look for results. See why we are positive liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

Forum List

Back