Catholic priests and celibacy

P

ProudDem

Frankly, I think the Catholic church's requirements that a priest be celibate is archaic. I am sure it played a heavy hand in the whole sexual abuse scandal (they had to take out their sexual aggressions (and this is just my theory)). I also believe it's one of the reasons that the number of men joining the seminary has descreased substantially.

What is wrong with allowing a priest to marry? How does marriage and sex affect his ability to be a successful priest?

ProudDem said:
Frankly, I think the Catholic church's requirements that a priest be celibate is archaic. I am sure it played a heavy hand in the whole sexual abuse scandal (they had to take out their sexual aggressions (and this is just my theory)). I also believe it's one of the reasons that the number of men joining the seminary has descreased substantially.

Then why are Buddhist Priest not constantly raping children? This assertion that because of celibacy rules they will rape children is simply wrong. What happened there is they created a place of safety by not reporting or punishing those that took part in such molestation. They moved them quietly and paid off the families, this led to them telling others of that persuasion (members of NAMBLA among others) that this was a safe place to practice such heinous deeds. They became a draw for such horrific men.

What is wrong with allowing a priest to marry? How does marriage and sex affect his ability to be a successful priest?
I don't know. At the beginning of the church they married, it was only later that such rules were placed on them. James was most certainly married and he was the first Pope.

no1tovote4 said:
Then why are Buddhist Priest not constantly raping children? This assertion that because of celibacy rules they will rape children is simply wrong. What happened there is they created a place of safety by not reporting or punishing those that took part in such molestation. They moved them quietly and paid off the families, this led to them telling others of that persuasion (members of NAMBLA among others) that this was a safe place to practice such heinous deeds. They became a draw for such horrific men.

I did not mean to imply that all the sexual abuse was caused by forcing priests to be celibate. I believe it was a contributing factor in some of those circumstances. We are all sexual beings and most of us have sexual desires. I think preventing someone from acting on human instinct for their entire life can cause some to act out.

It's disappointing how barely any of the pervert priests have had to suffer any repercussions.

I don't know. At the beginning of the church they married, it was only later that such rules were placed on them. James was most certainly married and he was the first Pope.

I was hoping you or someone else could explain it to me. ;)

ProudDem, I think the Catholic Church's policy of sweeping molestation charges under the rug is the largest factor in the molestation scandal.

Now whether priests should or shouldn't marry is a large point of contention (the Orthodox Church and Protestant demoninations allow married clergy) but it is certainly allowable for the Catholic Church to decide that their priests shouldn't marry.

gop_jeff said:
ProudDem, I think the Catholic Church's policy of sweeping molestation charges under the rug is the largest factor in the molestation scandal.

Now whether priests should or shouldn't marry is a large point of contention (the Orthodox Church and Protestant demoninations allow married clergy) but it is certainly allowable for the Catholic Church to decide that their priests shouldn't marry.

I agree that they can decide that priests cannot marry and cannot be gay. What I am looking for is to understand why celibacy is a requirement. Does it make them closer to God? Does it indicate that they are above humans since most of us engage in sexual behavior at one point in our lives?

Can someone enlighten me?

ProudDem said:
I agree that they can decide that priests cannot marry and cannot be gay. What I am looking for is to understand why celibacy is a requirement. Does it make them closer to God? Does it indicate that they are above humans since most of us engage in sexual behavior at one point in our lives?

Can someone enlighten me?

Here is a very intersting article on the reason that Priests are celibate...

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/questions/whycelibacy.asp

Our Lord was a priest (Heb. 4:14); He was also celibate and called others to do the same. "And Peter said, 'Behold, we have left all and followed You.' And He said to them, 'Amen I say to you, there is no one who has left house, or parents, or brothers, or wife or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who shall not receive much more in the present time, and in the age to come life everlasting."' (Lk. 18:28-30) Abraham was called to sacrifice his son Isaac (Gen. 22); through celibacy the priest is called to sacrifice not just his son, but his wife. Our Lord teaches that not all can be celibate, but those who can should do so for the sake of the kingdom: "His disciples said to Him, 'if the case of a man with his wife is so, it is not expedient to marry.' And He said, "Not all can accept this teaching; but those to whom it has been given - there are eunuchs who have made themselves so for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let him accept it who can." (Matt. 19:10-12)

More at link...

Dammit, no1, you always beat me to stuff!

I've also head that priests are to be "married" to the church, and should therefore forsake marrying a wife.

Forum List

Back