Catalan leader vows independence in 2 years should secessionists win snap vote

Interesting how stable Europe's nation states are. Even the ones that have no ethnic merit, and are built on fire power alone. Such as Spain, France, Russia, Romania, Ukraine, Belgium, and many others. It would be interesting to speculate, what hidden power overrides language and traditions. My bet is on the banks. As long as Spanish banks can rule and manipulate Catalonia, there will never be independence for them. Same for France's Flanders and the Occitan, Britain's Wales and Scotland, and so on.

Interesting how stable Europe's nation states are. Even the ones that have no ethnic merit, and are built on fire power alone. Such as Spain, France, Russia, Romania, Ukraine, Belgium, and many others. It would be interesting to speculate, what hidden power overrides language and traditions. My bet is on the banks. As long as Spanish banks can rule and manipulate Catalonia, there will never be independence for them. Same for France's Flanders and the Occitan, Britain's Wales and Scotland, and so on.
Don't think Spain's banks can control Catalonia because Catalonia is the richest part of Spain and they can help Spain pay its debt off if they let them go free as they want.

Don't think Spain's banks can control Catalonia because Catalonia is the richest part of Spain and they can help Spain pay its debt off if they let them go free as they want.
If they indeed manage to pull that off in Catalonia, that will be a very good news for all "national minorities" in Europe. There is no precedence to such a thing yet, without a world war environment.

If they indeed manage to pull that off in Catalonia, that will be a very good news for all "national minorities" in Europe. There is no precedence to such a thing yet, without a world war environment.

The Czechs and the Slovaks did exactly the same thing. No world war not fuss no muss.

The Czechs and the Slovaks did exactly the same thing. No world war not fuss no muss.
But wasn't Czechoslovakia a mostly artificial creation of ww1 itself? When it was created, the majority of its population was German and Czech. Then the soviet state recreated it and deported its German population, about 40% of its total headcount. In Spain, there was no mass deportation to this level, at least not in the 20th century, to create Catalonia. Catalonia existed even before the Spanish unification, I think. Slovakia exists because the same powers that decided ww1-2 are still effective and created it. This is probably bad news for Catalonia, because those powers are against splitting Spain.

I don't think there will be a military action to prevent Catalonia from going its own way. If they decide to go, they will go and the EU will allow them to become another EU state. The same thing for Scotland should they decide to leave, by the way.

I don't think there will be a military action to prevent Catalonia from going its own way. If they decide to go, they will go and the EU will allow them to become another EU state. The same thing for Scotland should they decide to leave, by the way.
Catalonian independence talks have been in high gear for the last 50 years. What is different this time? I think banking hasn't changed in this respect, so why would we expect a nation to change?

Forum List

Back