Cat can't shake sneezing and coughing!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Kooshdakhaa, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    One of my cats has been struggling with a bad cough. He also sneezes. At first when I heard him coughing, I thought it was hairballs. But when I heard him also sneezing, I realized it was something else.

Long story short, took him to the vet. He didn't cough or sneeze while we were at the vets, so the vet acted like nothing was wrong, said some cats get this and never really get over it. He said giving antibiotics doesn't help, they just have to live with it.

I should mention I have five other cats, and they aren't having a problem.

I remembered that several years ago my cats were passing a cold amongst themselves and one cat was having trouble getting rid of it and he was prescribed antibiotics, which cured him.

After reading a bit on the Internet, I called the vet and asked to try antibiotics on this cat. He prescribed Clavamox. To my delight, the coughing and sneezing completely went away by about day 4 of the 7 day treatment.

But two weeks later, the cat has started coughing and sneezing as bad as ever. I'm thinking of calling the vet tomorrow and asking for a longer run of antibiotics. I remember reading something on the Internet that this kind of thing may be tough to beat and they may need to be on antibiotics for a longer term.

Anyone had any experience with this?

2. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Well, this is a tough one when even USMB members don't have any answers!

Later today we are going to the vet and the cat will be given an injection of antibiotics that will remain in his system for 10 days. This way I don't have to give him pills twice a day, which was pretty tricky to accomplish sometimes.

I hope this works and I hope he doesn't just relapse once the antibiotics are done.

Poor little guy doesn't deserve this crap.

3. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,357
    The cat's allergic to humans.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    Reminds me of when I took my Impala to the mechanic for a nasty knocking sound.
    When he checked it over, it ran purrfectly.

5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    How long was the initial run of antibiotics?

Our dog bashed her nose but good last fall and after messing with creams and a steroid shot (which helped but only temporarily) the vet gave her a 14 day round of Keflex, (500 mg twice/day). Long story short we took her to a different vet because first vet (we saw a different doc vs. the first visit) said the dog likely had a tumor in her nose. We insisted that we try the meds first rather than a $1,500 CAT scan. Turns out her nose was infected but the meds never kicked in until nearly halfway through. You may be right in that your cat just needs a longer dose of antibiotics. Trust your gut.

On giving cats pills . . . whenever we've had to give our cat a pill, I crush it up, mix it w/some water and suck it up into an oral syringe. Then someone holds him and we get his mouth open, pop the syringe far enough back so when I shoot the medicine it goes right down his throat. Over in a snap and much easier than trying to get a pill down his throat. Ask the vet for oral syringes if you can't find or dont' have any. Good luck!

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403

The shot should do him. Sounds like an upper respiratory problem. Keep an eye on it though.
    If you have other cats, watch them too as it spreads fast.

7. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Hope kitty gets better soon... :eusa_pray:

8. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    The first round of antibiotics was only for 7 days. I had the feeling that was too short. This injection he received will keep it in his system for 10 days.

The vet says it's a viral condition and the sneezing and coughing are due to a secondary bacterial infection. The viral condition predisposes the cat to the bacterial infection, which is what we're treating with the antibiotics, but the virus still remains. He says the virus will always be with him, but we can get it calmed down. If he starts sneezing and coughing again he has another treatment we're going to do that addresses the virus itself and kind of makes it go into remission for a long period. (Not sure why we didn't just go ahead and do that!)

Here's the trouble with giving a cat medication even with an oral syringe...once they know you're going to do it, and they don't want you to do it...how the heck do you catch them!?

He was a pretty good pill taker overall, as long as the pill was in a Greenies pill pocket and then smeared with kippered herring. :lol: The only reason I had trouble a couple of days was because I was in a rush to get to work in the morning and got excited and started pursuing him. Next time I'm in that position I'll just be late to work and take my time enticing the animal. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    The others don't seem to be bothered by it, perhaps they have stronger immune systems. But I'm definitely wary because I have six cats.

: (

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    Your cat has not eaten the proper amount of mice and birds. If they don't get these food items often enough, they cough and sneeze...