Car stalled and won't start

Sounds most like a deteriorated ground or perhaps the positive lead from the battery to the starter relay. Bad ground (at either end) would allow enough current flow to run the radio, etc. but not enough to run the starter, That you had a melted terminal suggests a problem right there at the positive cable - right where it joins the battery clamp. It could be any of several other things but those are easiest to locate and check out.

Car stalled earlier today while I was turning into walmart. Wouldn't do ANYTHING including dash lights. Finally figured out the positive battery terminal was literally melted so replaced it and now got dashlights and sounds etc but car just clicks when I try to start it. Any ideas? I know catalytic converter needs replaced but its been fine with no issues. Its a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica

how_long_car_last_mauldin_jeep.jpg
Wasn't it American Motors of the Rambler and Pacer fame then?

During WWII Willys design was adopted and they built them along with Ford.
Didn't know that.

Turn the headlights on. Have your buddy stand in front of the car. Try to start it. If the headlights go off, the battery is almost certainly the problem. Clicking starter sounds like not enough voltage from the battery to turn the starter.

Last edited:
When I was a young kid, my dad had a Dodge Coronet 440 that was cool and faster than lightening, which was a Chrysler product!!!! :D
---------------------------------
Try replacing the battery!

As far as i know the relay itself cant be tested, but the line voltage to the starter can, and would indicate if its working. Its cheaper than a tow, unless you have an autoclub, ect.
Yeah got roadside service which we used for free. Got a family friend coming over to look at it this morning see if he can figure anything out. If not shop said he can look at it at around 3 today and says its probably the starter.
Turn the headlights on. Have your buddy stand in front of the car. Try to start it. If the headlights go off, the battery is almost certainly the problem. Clicking starter sounds like not enough voltage from the battery to turn the starter.

I will try that for sure!

Starting to miss my damn suburban it was so much easier to work on those vehicles because there was so much more space. The starter is a pain in the ass to even get to with the Chrysler.

Car stalled earlier today while I was turning into walmart. Wouldn't do ANYTHING including dash lights. Finally figured out the positive battery terminal was literally melted so replaced it and now got dashlights and sounds etc but car just clicks when I try to start it. Any ideas? I know catalytic converter needs replaced but its been fine with no issues. Its a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica
I had a mule do that one time........

As far as i know the relay itself cant be tested, but the line voltage to the starter can, and would indicate if its working. Its cheaper than a tow, unless you have an autoclub, ect.
Yeah got roadside service which we used for free. Got a family friend coming over to look at it this morning see if he can figure anything out. If not shop said he can look at it at around 3 today and says its probably the starter.

I will try that for sure!

Starting to miss my damn suburban it was so much easier to work on those vehicles because there was so much more space. The starter is a pain in the ass to even get to with the Chrysler.
Update?

battery..............positive cable burned in half............wasn't taking a charge..............

Not enough juice to turn over the starter.............

Turn on lights & then try to start.

If lights go out, your battery, terminals or cables are bad. Bad terminal likely prevented battery from charging. Charge battery, clean & check battery terminals.

If lights didn't go out, then you may have starter problem.

Most likely the battery wasn't properly secured and the positive terminal shorted out on the car body when you braked hard and/or turned hard into Walmart. Thus melting the fucker.

Forum List

Back