Car stalled and won't start

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
Car stalled earlier today while I was turning into walmart. Wouldn't do ANYTHING including dash lights. Finally figured out the positive battery terminal was literally melted so replaced it and now got dashlights and sounds etc but car just clicks when I try to start it. Any ideas? I know catalytic converter needs replaced but its been fine with no issues. Its a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica

Car stalled earlier today while I was turning into walmart. Wouldn't do ANYTHING including dash lights. Finally figured out the positive battery terminal was literally melted so replaced it and now got dashlights and sounds etc but car just clicks when I try to start it. Any ideas? I know catalytic converter needs replaced but its been fine with no issues. Its a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica

Get your head out of white supremacist politics, learn some real stuff, get a better job, buy a better car.

There....

Did you try jumping it, the car, not frigidweirdo.

Lefties never surprise me. Evil to the end.

Have you tested the battery? Might have burned out the alternator and battery.

how_long_car_last_mauldin_jeep.jpg

I was gonna ask if you charged it before leaving the house, but then I reached the part about it being a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica.

Could be bad wiring, could be a spark plug gone bad, your alternator might have bit the dust. You might even need a new battery.

Can you shift gears at all?

Try to get a jump, first. Then a new battery if that doesn't work, then a new alternator if that doesn't work. After that, it's the starter solenoid, and then the starter.

Last edited:

When an Engine Won't Crank, But the Lights and Radio Work. There are a number of ways to tackle a problem like this, but the most likely culprits are a blown fuse or fusible link, bad starter, bad ignition switch, or a dead car battery.
Why Your Car Won't Start Even Though the Lights Work

When an Engine Won't Crank, But the Lights and Radio Work. There are a number of ways to tackle a problem like this, but the most likely culprits are a blown fuse or fusible link, bad starter, bad ignition switch, or a dead car battery.

Did you know that 95% of all Chryslers are still on the road?

The other 5% made it home.............

That's a MOPAR for ya!

Wasn't it American Motors of the Rambler and Pacer fame then?

I agree about Chrysler’s. Had one a number of years ago, only a year old, where the catalytic converter caught fire going down the road. Never again.

Did you know that 95% of all Chryslers are still on the road?

The other 5% made it home.............

That's a MOPAR for ya!

Check the cables from the battery terminals to the starter, and the one to ground. If your positive terminal was melted, there was arcing going on and other connections can be comprimised as well.

Get a jump, or test the battery. If its dead it will light your dash, ect, but may not start the vehicle.

That car has a part called a starter relay, it cost about 15 bucks and it plugs in with six prongs. Thats a good start. Its the cheapest part. Google how to install it.

If all else fails, remove the starter and take it to an auto parts store. Get it tested, they do it free in most places.

Wasn't it American Motors of the Rambler and Pacer fame then?

During WWII Willys design was adopted and they built them along with Ford.

How much power is that cable pushing? Hot cables don't even think of melting at 20 amps. Even 17 or 18 can blow up a battery. You need to find out how much juice is going thru that cable because if the cable is melting it's to damn much.

Did you try jumping it, the car, not frigidweirdo.
Yep, tried it with my mothers vehicle left it hooked up while we ate supper and went back out and it just clicks.

I was gonna ask if you charged it before leaving the house, but then I reached the part about it being a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica.

Could be bad wiring, could be a spark plug gone bad, your alternator might have bit the dust. You might even need a new battery.

Can you shift gears at all?
I haven't tried shifting gears its an automatic unfortunately

Check the cables from the battery terminals to the starter, and the one to ground. If your positive terminal was melted, there was arcing going on and other connections can be comprimised as well.

Get a jump, or test the battery. If its dead it will light your dash, ect, but may not start the vehicle.

That car has a part called a starter relay, it cost about 15 bucks and it plugs in with six prongs. Thats a good start. Its the cheapest part. Google how to install it.

If all else fails, remove the starter and take it to an auto parts store. Get it tested, they do it free in most places.

How can I tell if the starter relay fuse is bad? I was just checking that and I can't tell how a fuse like that is bad or not...going to get it towed to shop in morning see if my mechanic can figure it out because he won't charge me to tell me what's wrong with it.

As far as i know the relay itself cant be tested, but the line voltage to the starter can, and would indicate if its working. Its cheaper than a tow, unless you have an autoclub, ect.

Forum List

Back