Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
count-dracula-albums-some-of-big-black-dog-s-favorite-photos-picture1833-hattaras-lighthouse-copy.jpg

While on vacation on Carolina's Outer Banks recently, I snapped a photo of the lighthouse at Hatteras. There are three other lighthouses (Currituck Beach, Ocracoke and Bodie Island) in the area but the lighthouse at Cape Hatteras is the most impressive. It is the tallest lighthouse in the United States. When I was much younger, I climbed the stairs inside to go to the top and see the lens of the lighthouse but I decided against it this time around. Besides, it was 100 degrees outside! If you are ever in the area, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

you dont know shit about lighthouses....just about being big with you isnt it?
each of those lighthouses is special in its own way....damn i hate tourist

currituck has a fresnel lens (google it)

so does bodie...

ocracoke is the oldest of the nc lighthouse....

o why do i even type to you?

*makes disgusted noise*

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYDxd5Kn-p0]YouTube - Ocracoke Lighthouse Video Tour[/ame]

da man says that is a nice pic and that you had no way of knowing you were gonna hit my pet peeve du jour....i love the lighthouses....

he is still amazed i will haul my fat ass up one....

no....you just hit my pet peeve...did you go see the others...the lighthouse are each so special in their own way hatterus is just the best known i think...

my favorite is currituck, i like the wild ponies and all

i guess you know they moved the hatteras lighthouse back from the beach? assuming you got out of your car...

I remember hearing that some years ago. I was at another messageboard with someone named Hatteras. She was a big lighthouse fanatic. It was always fun hearing little factoids about them

they are closing two for repairs this summer...ocracoke and bodie i think....

Bodie has scappling up all around it and they are currently doing major repairs on it. Ocracoke is being worked on too but no scappling is on it. There was a pick-up truck full of painting supplies and a generator parked outside of it while we were there with guys going back and forth looking kind of busy.

well the coast has to have lighthouses....we are the graveyard of the atlantic for a reason...and i dont even wanna think of how much money has been used for the lighthouses....moving hatterus back was a minor fortune but it was move it or watch the sea take it....so much coastal erosion...

Moving the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

i will admit....when its 100 degrees plus...i dont haul my ass out of the ac car...

i was at nags head one year...114 degrees...the sand would burn your feet...and you got green headed and black headed flies....mercy

i guess you know they moved the hatteras lighthouse back from the beach? assuming you got out of your car...

I remember hearing that some years ago. I was at another messageboard with someone named Hatteras. She was a big lighthouse fanatic. It was always fun hearing little factoids about them

Yes, I know they moved the Hatteras lighthouse. There is still some of the base of the lighthouse in it's old location and you can still see the path they made when they moved the lighthouse but the path is getting pretty much covered over now with sand. The foundation base that is left in it's original location has the names of the light keepers and the dates they served there engraved on them.

I climbed up the Hatteras light back around 1967 or so when it was still in it's original location. It was one of those weekends when the fish weren't biting so good and my Dad and I decided to take a drive down the coast.

It was over 100 the first two days we were there but then dropped down to the mid-90's. Yes, I like the wild horses at Corolla too. We took that tour and rode around looking at them. Got some really great photos of the wild horses. The wife made me donate $100.00 to that fund they have to assist the horses. No problem with the flies but I do remember them from an earlier time in my life. The Outer Banks has really changed. I used to go there just about every weekend when I was growing up but haven't been back for 40 years. We're talking culture shock here. It has all built up and become so commercial. I did get some really good seafood everyday, and the fishing was ok. If you got away from the crowds and went down to Pea Island, parked and made your way over the dunes you could have lots of privacy on the beach. Had a good time and worth the trip. Would have liked to have caught more fish though...

ocracoke is not bad...but nags head down to cape hatteras is just a hot mess....condos and shopping centers....i know what you mean about cultural shock as well as heat....

you are lucky the flies didnt get ya....i am darker skinned so they dont get me like they do some people...if you are pink...you are their favorite white meat

East coast lighthouses are for wussies.

Here's a real lighthouse for you:

tillamook_js.jpg

Terrible Tilly at Tillamook. Last year the kids and I visited. Not the lighthouse, which obviously is on a rock out in the ocean, but Ecola State Park, where we hiked to a view point. It was freezing...cold and windy. The pics are all of the kids being blasted by the wind and grabbing their hoods around their heads.

This year (we leave tomorrow!) we're going to hit Heceta Head lighthouse, at Cape Perpetua:

heceta1.jpg

Forum List

Back