CDZ Cancer moonshot

Fair&Balanced

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2016
A laudable goal, no doubt. But once again, why do elected officials think that just shoveling money towards something is going to solve anything? We all realize EXACTLY what it will lead to, why don't they?

You want government incentives to cure cancer? Fine, offer $1B tax free to the first company that produces a cure and stand back and let the competition begin.

I'll just never understand why the government can't figure out that 99% of every dollar they spend upfront is wasted.

There is no "cancer." There are multiple types of cancers, each of which requires a different approach.

A laudable goal, no doubt. But once again, why do elected officials think that just shoveling money towards something is going to solve anything? We all realize EXACTLY what it will lead to, why don't they?

You want government incentives to cure cancer? Fine, offer $1B tax free to the first company that produces a cure and stand back and let the competition begin.

I'll just never understand why the government can't figure out that 99% of every dollar they spend upfront is wasted.
Indeed, let the competition begin.

• Banned
There is no "cancer." There are multiple types of cancers, each of which requires a different approach.

Incorrect. Find the cure for cancer as in what causes cells to become cancerous and you cure all cancer.

Global cancer survival rate up...
cool.gif

Global cancer survival rate up: study
Thu, Feb 01, 2018 - UNEVEN PROGRESS: There still exist large gaps in survival between rich and developing countries, while some types of cancer, such as pancreatic, remain lethal everywhere
Cancer survival is increasing across the world, but large gaps endure between nations, while some can cers remain hard to treat everywhere, a major review released yesterday showed. The progress, and the gap, are especially large for childhood cancers, according to the CONCORD-3 study covering 71 nations and 18 types of cancer, published in the medical journal The Lancet.For children with brain tumors, for example, five-year survival has improved across the board from 54 percent for the period 2000-2004, to more than 60 percent for 2010-2014. In the US, Denmark, Sweden and Slovakia, the survival rate progressed to 80 percent or better, but in Mexico and Brazil, less than 40 percent of children diagnosed with brain tumors survived in the 2010-2014 period.

Similarly, five-year survival for the most common type of childhood cancer — acute lymphoblastic leukaemia — rose to higher than 90 percent in Canada, the US and nine European countries, but remained below 60 percent in China and Mexico. “This likely reflects the availability and quality of diagnostic and treatment services,” the authors said in a statement. The world has seen across-the-board progress on breast cancer, the study showed. For women diagnosed with the disease in the US and Australia from 2010 to 2014, five-year survival was 90 percent. In 16 western European nations, the rate improved to 85 percent, and stood at 71 percent for eastern European nations. In India, breast cancer survival improved during those five years to 66 percent.

Liver and lung cancers remain quick killers in both rich and developing countries, but the past 20 years have seen some progress. From 1995 to 2014, liver cancer survival increased in South Korea (from 11 to 27 percent), Sweden (5 to 17 percent) and Portugal (8 to 19 percent). Similarly, lung cancer survival went up by 5 to 10 percent in 21 nations, including the UK. The most progress was seen in China (from 8 to 20 percent), Japan (23 to 33 percent) and South Korea (10 to 25 percent). Pancreatic cancer remained highly lethal everywhere, with five-year survival rates typically under 15 percent. “Greater international efforts are needed to understand the risk factors for this rapidly lethal cancer,” said co-author Michel Coleman, a researcher at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

Led by Claudia Allemani from the London school, the CONCORD-3 study marshalled hundreds of experts and more than 300 cancer registries covering 37.5 million cancer cases — three-quarters of all the cancers diagnosed worldwide from 2000 to 2014. Thirty-one European countries were included, along with 17 from Asia and 13 from Latin America. Only six African nations were included, due to a lack of data. “Despite more than 20 years of advocacy for ... fully functional cancer registries, both political and financial support remains woeful,” said Richard Sullivan, a professor at Kings Health Partners Comprehensive Cancer Centre in London.

Global cancer survival rate up: study - Taipei Times

3 Scientists Share $500,000 Prize for Work on Cancer Therapy...
cool.gif

3 Scientists Share $500,000 Prize for Work on Cancer Therapy
August 15, 2018 — Three scientists will share a $500,000 medical prize for their studies of the immune system that have led to innovative treatments for cancer, HIV and other diseases.

The recipients of the annual Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research were announced Wednesday. They are being recognized for their research in immunology and the translation of their ideas into effective therapies and often cures for diseases including metastatic melanoma, lung cancer and leukemia.

7DFFEB42-7560-4EB9-96A1-FB676B2DA59C_cx0_cy6_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Alexander Varshavsky earned the Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research in New York. The California biologist was honored for his discoveries related to cell biology that have led to new treatments for blood cancer and other diseases.

The recipients are: James Allison of the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; Dr. Carl June of the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania; and Dr. Steven Rosenberg of the National Cancer Institute.

They will receive the award at a ceremony Sept. 26 in Albany, New York.

3 Scientists Share $500,000 Prize for Work on Cancer Therapy...
cool.gif

August 15, 2018 — Three scientists will share a $500,000 medical prize for their studies of the immune system that have led to innovative treatments for cancer, HIV and other diseases.

The recipients of the annual Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research were announced Wednesday. They are being recognized for their research in immunology and the translation of their ideas into effective therapies and often cures for diseases including metastatic melanoma, lung cancer and leukemia.

7DFFEB42-7560-4EB9-96A1-FB676B2DA59C_cx0_cy6_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Alexander Varshavsky earned the Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research in New York. The California biologist was honored for his discoveries related to cell biology that have led to new treatments for blood cancer and other diseases.

The recipients are: James Allison of the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; Dr. Carl June of the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania; and Dr. Steven Rosenberg of the National Cancer Institute.

They will receive the award at a ceremony Sept. 26 in Albany, New York.

Have you seen a report on what the government has spent on Cancer cure funding during recent years?

I like the idea of rewards for cures to incentivize the private market. Bravo

Capitalism works. In general if you pay me to open a lab and do cancer research I open a lab and do research.

If you think the government needs to audit the money they spend better so be it. I think America is a decent place and we've had plenty of scientific advances. Gulf War II really impressed me and this is still a great place for medical treatment.

Now, far as curing all cancer, I dunno if that's within our grasp in the next 100 years. I'm gonna go outback and cut some treated lumber in a bit, increase my chances of getting cancer, then I'm gonna drive my car about 90 miles round trip later. Both of them things raise my risk of cancer. Micromanaging a billion cellular divisions seems 24/7 seems beyond out capabilities. We can fight more and more of the cancer cells though.

Forum List

Back