Canadian Healthcare Better than US - OECD

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Toro, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,095
    Canadian Health Care, Even With Queues, Bests U.S. (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    While many Canadians are happy with their healthcare, we dont want the US to go to a public system that will invariably cause rationing and waiting lists. We like having the option of being able to pay for better and faster service across the border.

3. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,516
    Then go with a two-tier system like the Aussies.

4. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,538
    The study appears to put those fears to rest.

5. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,156

While the report may--talk to some Canadians--I have. Surgeries that Americans are used to getting done within a week--are scheduled way out in Canada. A woman with breast cancer waited 3 months to have the tumor removed. In the states it's almost immediately.

Plus we have an estimated 30 million with out health insurance. We don't have the doctors or nurses to handle that many additional people. Therefore--waiting will turn into the norm--if this option passes.

I don't know why government just doesn't turn this over to the individual states? It's ridiculous--& health insurance should be a state problem--not a federal government one.--:cuckoo:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I loved how Oreo turned to the usual tactics to say Health Care Reform is bad. I also noticed how few to none Republicans posted on this otherwise, not surprised.

7. oreo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,156
    First of all I never stated that--don't put words into my mouth. I above most on this board understand the soaring cost of health care insurance. My husband & I pay $825.00 PER MONTH for a high deductible policy.

I don't BELIEVE that our federal government is capable of lowering costs.

They have absolutely no track record of handleing our tax dollars efficiency. In fact, Barack Obama has stated "repeatedly" that there are billions of fraud each year in Medicare. I agree that there is.

So why is it that you would want to give the federal goverment more money-when they can't even get the fraud out of medicare?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  8. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Fair enough if that is your argument. However, saying Government is the problem and doing nothing to fix it won't solve anything. As much as one would like to think this is a state issue, notice how all of the states happen to be in major debt. My home state is one of the five worst in the countries so I know all too well about that.

If you look at the Health Care Industry right now, what they need is more doctors and nurses. I can tell you as this economy has gotten bleaker, that has been more and more of a job that people flock too. So while at the moment, there is a lack of nurses and doctors. Down the road, that might not be necessary true.

Trust me, I'm not saying that it's easy to put 30 million new people onto getting health care suddenly but it's not impossible. You also have to look at the fact that plenty of those 30 million people already go to doctors, etc except they just can't afford the insurance for when they do go.

9. oreo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,156
    Sure states are having problems right now--we are in a severe recession. However,--states that have balanced budget amendments in them are fairing much better. They make cuts to balance their budgets. Something the federal governement has never done. They operate off of a no limit credit card with future generations names on it for re-payment.

My ideas are:

1. Serious tort reform to lower the cost of insurance to doctors.
    2. I would like to see Nurse practitioners in every pharmacy in this country--where people can go in for common colds & flu's-& pay a small fee & get a prescription written right there. We have to keep these people out of our hospital emergency rooms.
    3. Open up interstate competition between private medical insurance companies. Competition always works to lower costs.
    4. MANDATE--that all who can afford medical insurance for themselves pay for it--if they do not receive it from their employers. This is a MUST & something I completely agree with Obama on.

The above legislation can be done with a signature from Congress & the President--& absolutely no need for take-over.

10. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Those cuts that you refer to are people losing their jobs. The Government doesn't do this because they wouldn't dare cut some of their more wasteful jobs. If you think Health Care is a bad place where we taxpayers get attacked in waste, the Military is another. We're not getting our bang for our buck by any means. Especially when we somehow can't afford body armor for our troops.

While I like your ideas, somewhat. Heres my thoughts on them.

1.) Sure, but Tort Reform is only 2% of the problem. It would definitely help, but not a issue solver.

2.) Good idea, that would definitely help things and an idea I haven't seen offered yet.

3.) While I like to think that, competition does not lower costs. Best example? The current Health Insurance companies. Plenty of competition as time goes on, yet more money. Though I'm sure their profits going up over 400% in the last 7 years may or may not have something to do with it. However, if done correctly, I'd accept it.

4.) This is where we disagree sort of. Where do you draw the line at being able to "afford it"? Is there a poverty line #? Is there a # in general? While i don't think mandating is the right way to go, I would like to see some program in place where people who want insurance at a more affordable rate can do so. May it be non-profit or whatever.

What you missed out on:

5.) Eliminating Pre-Existing Conditions, if you look at some of my prior threads, you'll see my list of pre-existing conditions. Many of which are completely wrong, which is why they need to be eliminated. There's also the process of being cut from your insurance company for no good which also needs to be eliminated.

And to be honest there are various other things. However, based on above, I think we can agree on all that no?