Canada Goes Conservative

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hobbit, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    No comments, since I'm pretty ignorant about Canadian politics, but I thought this would interest some. Article I found is on cnn.com.

Canada Goes Conservative

2. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Minority government with a seperatist party heh. Still...an improvement over before, that's for certain. At least the new PM isn't a dick.

3. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    "Just as campaigning hit full swing over the Christmas holidays, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced they were investigating a possible leak by Liberal government officials that appeared to have influenced the stock market."

http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm

Liberalism in action; it seems to transcend borders and nations, doesn't it? Screw the truth - screw the public good - it's all about the power.

4. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Again I defer my opinion to the wise Mark Steyn (who is a Canadian):

http://www.steynonline.com/index2.cfm?edit_id=23

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I can't believe the conservatives broke through the Qubec strong hold. They have a liberal provincial government right now BUT are not happy with them on a provincial level - too conservative. Anything they can "provincialize" (centeralize), they do it ie: daycare, pensions, the cost of going to the dentist is practically free and so on. I'm truely shocked. As for the ROC the results were on target for the most part, despite a few surprises.

NDP won in my riding, no real surprise, even with Broadbent out of the running. I voted for him last time.

The Liberals didn't do that bad overall and are the official opposition. I have no problem with the Conservatives per se, I just dislike Harper, a lot.

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    They still took 103 seats, making them the official opposition. With a minority government, Harper faces the same threats to his leadership as Martin had previously. I doubt he will run the government on a true conservative platform as has promised, since he runs the risks of the three (Liberl, very Liber and Ultra-Liberal) opposition parties forming a coaliton like the one he led to win a non-confidence vote against Martin. Minority governments are dangerous to any exective, the last time we saw that was in the 70's and the same thing happened (non-confidence vote followed by election), with Trudeau winning re-election. Either way ANYTHING is better than the NDP. The Bloc Quebecois isn't a national party, so they don't really count - they're only in it for Quebec.

7. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,721
    Weren't these the people making fun of us for electing Bush? Calling us "Jesus-Land". Where are the Media headlines,"HOW CAN 22MILLION PEOPLE BE SO STUPID!"

:laugh:

8. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Maybe they are looking for some hanging chads. Or maybe it's a hanging le Tchad in Canada.

9. Big Blue Machin

Big Blue Machin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Harper can survive the first two years, providing he does nothing stupid.