Can We Learn From Others?

That's crazy talk.

Well, granted, Sister Mary Teresa in the fourth grade was pretty fuckin' crazy, but tell me, where else can you find Jesuits with PhD's teaching high school?

BTW The LA Times did a poll years ago of teachers in the Los Angeles County public school district. 86% of black female teachers admitted to sending their own kids to private schools, to private Catholic schools. That's the opinion they had of the public school system in which they themselves were teachers.

Having been a recipient of public education in both the US and abroad....I found this to be of interest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/b...st-kids-in-the-world.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Poland kicks our ass. POLAND!!!!!

Thanks for the article.

Its is one among about what I'd estimate to be about 8 billion that repeat the same mantra, but I found this paragraph most interesting:

Kim soon notices something else that’s different about her school in Pietarsaari, and one day she works up the courage to ask her classmates about it. “Why do you guys care so much?” Kim inquires of two Finnish girls. “I mean, what makes you work hard in school?” The students look baffled by her question. “It’s school,” one of them says. “How else will I graduate and go to university and get a good job?” It’s the only sensible answer, of course, but its irrefutable logic still eludes many American students, a quarter of whom fail to graduate from high school. Ripley explains why: Historically, Americans “hadn’t needed a very rigorous education, and they hadn’t gotten it. Wealth had made rigor optional.” But now, she points out, “everything had changed. In an automated, global economy, kids needed to be driven; they need to know how to adapt, since they would be doing it all their lives. They needed a culture of rigor.”

This is extremely poignant, but if wealth makes rigor optional, then why is it that economically disadvantaged American students seem to have made rigor MORE OPTIONAL?

But not ALL economically disadvantaged students and not all wealthy students have made rigor optional: Some already have a "culture of rigor." Some have do not seem to be relying on a "safety net" (parents, trust funds, and government).

You want a great education for your kids? Two words: Catholic schools.

That's crazy talk.
When I got to high school, my English (yeah they taught that in the 70's) teacher told me that she could ALWAYS spot the students that came from St. Mary's.

My math, English, and grammar education was stellar. I literally smoked those public schooled bitches in high school.

My son went to public school in 1st grade, Lutheran school in 2nd through 6th (excellent school!) and Catholic High School(another excellent school). I was a public school teacher.

Having been a recipient of public education in both the US and abroad....I found this to be of interest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/b...st-kids-in-the-world.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Poland kicks our ass. POLAND!!!!!

I've no doubt of your being a victim of public education since you seem blissfully unaware NY Times site requires registration to view links. Site shhouldn't even show up in google searches.

I think it's a you problem. Maybe the NYT is conspiring to keep you stupid.

My son went to public school in 1st grade, Lutheran school in 2nd through 6th (excellent school!) and Catholic High School(another excellent school). I was a public school teacher.

That is a frightening thought.
The experiences my son had in first grade were terrible. No student in the first grade was on grade level. The teachers kept starting over with the wrong series. When I went in to see the principal,indicating my son was two books below grade level in April, she tested him, then called me and said, in her opinion, he read "too fast," and when asked what a compound word was, couldn't give the definition but could give several examples.

She said she couldn't put him in the proper book for April, for no student in the 1st grade was in that book. All of the children were still in preprimers!

That day I called the Lutheran school and he took the entrance test without proper instruction and passed, thank God. The private schools' standards were much higher than the public schools. Not all students could meet those standards, but for those children that could, it was certainly worth it.

Yeah....that sounds like bullshit. Thanks for sharing.

Hey dumbass, America has 40 million barely functionally illiterate, or completely illiterate adults. Clean the bullshit out of your ears; maybe you'd pay attention to what's going on. Unless you worked in the public school system of course, in which case you wouldn't give a shit about what's going on.

Forum List

Back