Can The Students Be Silenced?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BertramN, Mar 2, 2018.

1. toobfreak

toobfreak Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,480

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAID THERE WERE NO STUDIES, DATA or RESEARCH linking cellphone use, video games and other social factors in affecting children's minds inducing depression and other mental factors leading to school shootings and dared me to provide such, I have a great awakening for you. Can't be sure if it was on this thread or one of the hundred other threads on the topic where several people claimed there was absolutely NO studies supporting such, but, while I generally don't watch local news, I was dozing with the TV on and the local CBS affiliate came on and one of their top stories was EXACTLY THAT: a number of studies including one they specifically mentioned out of the Massachusetts's Clay Center, where they had come to the exact conclusions I had earlier outlined. I've included a few links on the Clay Center and cellphone topics that I found doing a quick, cursory search. Considering this is the effect of just normal cellphone usage for communication, and that many video games are played via cellphone, it boggles the mind how some of the people here close their minds totally to the possibility and connections between cellphones, video games, isolation, depression and the rise in aberrant behavior, violence and shootings in school children.

The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
    Weekend Links: Smartphones and Depression, C-Section Rates & More
    iPhone In The Baby Bag - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
    When Digital Natives Become Parents - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
    Which Came First The Cell Phone or Feeling Isolated?

But I took the matter one step further, and for the people who said there was absolutely no research connecting depression and other mental factors with video games, again, just a quick, cursory search, I found THIS:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-cause-depression-anxiety-and-social-phobia-2
    https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...e-depression-in-children-new-study-finds.aspx
    https://consumer.healthday.com/ment...ied-to-depression-anxiety-in-kids-648899.html
    https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/video-games-and-the-depressed-teenager/
    https://www.theguardian.com/technol...link-to-psychiatric-orders-suggested-by-study
    https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...aming-Can-Lead-to-Mental-Health-Problems.aspx

It constantly amazes me the number of arm-chair experts on this message board who are often absolutely adamant about getting so much totally wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,771
    No, they won't be silenced.

3. Toddsterpatriot

Toddsterpatriot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,137
    When they're not eating Tide Pods, they're yapping.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,349
    I heard today that Google has new aps designed for children ages six and up to use on their own social media sites. They want to establish an ever growing following...addicted to staring at a screen and punching buttons all day long, every day they are alive. Parents should not fall for this crap. Children need to play outdoors, go camping (without electronics), go fishing, learn to grow things in a garden, learn to fix things that need repair, learn how mechanical things work, get into art, music, reading and writing.

I am truly thankful that I went through my formative years (and many years thereafter) without electronic devices.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,859

No these kids can't be silenced but they've got to do more than that. They have got to vote this coming November in the midterm election cycle. If you're 18 years old and not registered, register to vote now! If you're going to be 18 soon, register to vote as soon as you are. If you have friends that are 18 make sure they register and they VOTE. If you're away at college plan ahead to receive a mail-in ballot from your home state.

Someone who doesn't vote or votes for any Republican is voting for more sympathies and prayer vigils. Even though the Florida state legislature did a gun restriction on age, and as soon as you forget about it, and are not looking they'll go right back to the old gun regulations by lowering the age limit. Republicans have done this before. Do not be fooled by this.

The NRA is the Republican parties campaign cash cow and they are going to protect that cow no matter what.

'Thoughts and prayers' — and fistfuls of NRA money: Why America can't control guns

[​IMG]
    If you want common sense gun control in this country, you'll have to vote for Democrats this coming November in the 2018 mid term election cycle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,502
    Students speaking out is good. But I hope they take this further and become interested more dimensions of politics....not just what affects THEM, but issues that affect the country as a whole.

7. toobfreak

toobfreak Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,480
    Agreed. To this day, I do not own a cell phone. I had a couple years ago but just never used them and neither were "smart" phones. One was still analog! And this forum is the only and exclusive extent to which my "social media" extends. And much that goes on here makes me not anxious to look for more. Anyone who has been lucky enough to study psych-ops and digital technologies knows the dangers and potential to get into people's heads, especially children, and program subtle and not so subtle attitudes and behavior into people. The Germans and Russians have made an especially thorough study of this as has the USA.

8. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,349
    I have tried other sites, but this is the best I have found. There was one that was close, but they had nowhere near the freedom of speech that exists here. That is good and bad for the postings in that it enables the puerility that is rampant in all but the well protected forums.

9. toobfreak

toobfreak Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,480
    Doesn't say much for the world, and the general state of education and intelligence out there.

Yes, I'd rate USMB an A- in freedom of speech, unfortunately, that seems to invite a lot of garbage along with it. I say a lot of things kidding, to be provocative or tongue in cheek feeling intelligent readers who follow me can tell when I'm really serious, but unfortunately some amazingly stupid people here seem QUITE committed in their views!

10. hadit

hadit Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,253
    The question is not CAN the students be silenced. Rather it is SHOULD they be silenced. That answer is no, they should not be. They should speak, but be heard in context.

They should not be granted guru status on the subject of gun control. Several things. One, legislation made on emotion is rarely good legislation, and the kids are driven by emotion. Two, they are being exploited for political gain by democrats. That is really not controversial, because only those kids who echo the democrat agenda will have a place on the democrat funded stage. Three, how many of the kids come out after the fact to say they knew a shooter was going to do something, but did nothing? IOW, if they want to be heard, they should become part of the solution.

• Agree Agree x 1