Can The Government Make Doctors Better Doctors?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This article makes a whole lot of sense. Why continue to do over and over again what doesn't work? And, since when do bureaucrats no more about treating patients than the doctors?

You can take this to the bank. Every innovation in the production of every good or service – anything that lowers costs or increases quality – originates on the supply side of the market. There has never been a successful innovation that originated on the demand side.

This principle applies to health care in spades. For as long as I have been in health policy – more than 30 years – I have been dealing with non-doctors who have a deep, abiding desire to tell doctors what to do. Yet I don’t know of any example anywhere in the world where this approach has ever worked.

Full story with suggestions for improvement @ Can The Government Make Doctors Better Doctors?

I dont know if regulations and laws can make them better.

IMHO; the reason they are doing badly, is because of the education system. When you pay a fortune for your education to become a doctor, the ROI in that investment in some cases outweight their professional responsibilities, it seems to me like...

I dont know if regulations and laws can make them better.

IMHO; the reason they are doing badly, is because of the education system. When you pay a fortune for your education to become a doctor, the ROI in that investment in some cases outweight their professional responsibilities, it seems to me like...

Financial considerations (i.e., debt) can certainly be a consideration in, for example, why some medical students choose a specialty rather than family medicine, but if it's a reputable school (and subject to state and federal regulation, as well as professional oversight), the education should not be affected.

As someone else mentioned, a great deal of medical error involves medical staff - particularly in the ER - pulling obscenely long shifts (30+ hours in some cases), and many hospitals are trying to limit the number of hours straight a staff member can work.

Much of the rest has to do with human fallibility, patients not understanding directions (particularly for medications), unforeseen side effects from some medications in some patients, and the unfortunate fact that some MDs don't respect the nursing staff, who spend far more time with patients than they do.

It's complicated and it needs to be fixed, but going backwards is not the answer, IMO.

I look at pure capitalism in places that have it(some parts of central Asia and Africa) and the history of it...What I find is it doesn't give a damn about the little guy and would be far worse then what we have now.

Loserterians are dumb enough to think that corporations that force asians to work for pennies per day and mistreat them with slavery like work conditions will work out differently here.

I think that doctors could be replaced by a Kiosk. You step in a computer and it scans you. You answer the same questions the doctor asks, using a keypad, and maybe answer them more honestly, and then the computer makes a diagnosis. Digital exams might be a little tricky.

Which then a doctor then can review, over the internet or office.

Already it is reported that robots outperform surgeons.

If you believe regulations and laws protecting the patient hasn't made hospitals better. Well, you're fucking insane.

Since medical mistakes are the number three cause of death, you are obviously wrong.
Someone with intelligence would then rationalize that they would be the number one cause without more regulation. You'd still have people claiming magic elixirs would cure cancer.

I think that doctors could be replaced by a Kiosk. You step in a computer and it scans you. You answer the same questions the doctor asks, using a keypad, and maybe answer them more honestly, and then the computer makes a diagnosis. Digital exams might be a little tricky.

Haven't you ever filled out forms in a doctor's office asking about your symptoms, etc.? You can do that online as well. It saves the doctor and the patient a lot of time once the patient shows up for their appointment.

(I know that's not what you meant. You were trying to draw some silly analogy between doctors and Wendy's.)

Haven't you ever filled out forms in a doctor's office asking about your symptoms, etc.? You can do that online as well. It saves the doctor and the patient a lot of time once the patient shows up for their appointment.

(I know that's not what you meant. You were trying to draw some silly analogy between doctors and Wendy's.)

The analogy is natural. One of the posters asked if doctors could be made better. That is what I was pointing out.

I see my doctor once a year. He does very little other then ask me if I have chest pain and of course some other questions.

The analogy is natural. One of the posters asked if doctors could be made better. That is what I was pointing out.

I see my doctor once a year. He does very little other then ask me if I have chest pain and of course some other questions.

I assume he also does a thorough physical exam, especially taking your blood pressure and listening to your heart if he's concerned about chest pains. If you've been seeing him for a long time, you may not remember filling out a questionnaire on your first visit, but those answers would be in your chart, along with medications, weight gain or loss, and any changes you report in how you're feeling. Yes, an online program could be a shortcut to some of those answers (as I say, it's being done already in some places).

If you believe regulations and laws protecting the patient hasn't made hospitals better. Well, you're fucking insane.

Since medical mistakes are the number three cause of death, you are obviously wrong.
Someone with intelligence would then rationalize that they would be the number one cause without more regulation. You'd still have people claiming magic elixirs would cure cancer.

Like they do now ??

Forum List

Back