Can someone please explain

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jillian, Sep 11, 2007.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    How the teaching of a language can be mistaken for teaching religion?

And why does the teaching of Hebrew raise issues while no one questions that Latin should be taught (despite its use in Catholic services) and despite the fact there is an entire public school in NY dedicated to Arab culture?

MORE

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070911/ap_on_re_us/hebrew_charter_school

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    "Concerns the Jewish faith was seeping into public classrooms" is Joycian for "the children weren't reading enough about Matthew Hale and being indoctrinated into the WCOTC."

What a joke.

3. Alucard

Alucard VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Because we cater to individuals in this country instead of doing whats best for society...

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    Jillian you should be aware that the democrats in New York have no problem making special arrangements for the Muslim religion. So that is a non starter, though valid.

Until 2001 the New York City school districts allowed special accomadations for Ramadan every year for at least 3 maybe more. They were forced to stop when Christian groups demanded similar accomadations and the school system was told to provide them. Rather than do that they stopped providing special favor for the Muslims.

Personally since in my opinion when one in this country talks about "Arab" culture it is code for Muslim, you are absolutely right.

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Is the school teaching a language or teaching IN a language? Or is it both?

Either way it doesn't matter. I mean if someone wants to study mathematics using Hebrew, fine with me. From that I would assume that the objective, or at least one of the objectives, is to keep the language alive among Jewish students so that they can better participate and understand their faith and they can, if they wish, claim their citizenship rights in Israel (where they would need Hebrew to function).

If the current Pope hadn't brought up the Tridentine Rite that observation may not have had the power it does. It was in Vatican II I think that the decision was made to allow the Mass to be held in indigenous languages rather than Latin. But Latin has historically been taught in the West as the language of philosophy and science (well, up until now I mean). I think it was Churchill who once said that he learned Latin at school as a fundamental but Greek was a treat, something like that anyway.

As for the Arab culture - Arabs are Muslim, Christian, atheist etc. It's a culture being taught, probably for the same reasons as Hebrew was being used in the school in question, it's about cultural transmission and maintenance rather than religion. The biggest Muslim nation in the world isn't Arabian in culture.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Kind of my feeling on the subject. Interestingly, the Khalil Gibran School has kept its curriculum secret and will not publicize who is teaching there...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    First, I'm a NY Dem, as are most of the Jews in NY, so I don't think it has anything to do with Dems making special arrangeents for muslims. I'd also remind you that our mayor and his schools chancellor are republicans and it's they who set school policy, along with their district appointees.

I don't have a problem with special accommodation for religious holidays as long as the religions aren't taught in the school. In NY, which is approximately 69% Catholic, every Wednesday, children whose parents wish, are taken out of school early and brought to religious instruction at the local Diocese. That accomodation isn't made for any other religious group. For example, my son doesn't have that same option. When he goes for religious instruction, it's privately done through our Temple and after school hours. Now, I don't mind particularly, I'm just pointing out that it's not simply a muslim issue.

I am, however a bit piqued that a school is receiving extra scrutiny for the simple reason that it is teaching a language which also happens to be used in Jewish religious services.

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I just have to ask if this school is a public or a private one....just curious.

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    No big deal here.

We have secular state schools, private schools and some of those private schools are run by religious orders. I know we have Catholic schools, Uniting Church (Methodist) schools, Anglican schools, Greek Orthodox schools, a Muslim school, Jewish schools (a friend of mine, a Gentile, sent two of his kids to Masada College here because their principal back then was running a really good programme for gifted children - the holidays used to throw my friend though :D). No fuss, no drama, but then we don't have embedded in our constitution the idea of rejection of any religion as a state religion.

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    They are teaching the language and doing immersion so that certain classes are taught in Hebrew according to the article.

The objective, I would guess, is to teach Hebrew and keep it a viable language, along with making some people outside of Israel fluent, same as any other immersion program.

Any Jew who is going to make alliyah (emigrate to Israel) probably doesn't need a public school to teach the language since it's most likely they've already been educated in it. Plus, Israel is largely bi-lingual, so no one needs the language to claim citizenship rights.

I agree with you about Latin, I was just bringing it up as an example of a language that serves multiple purposes, one of which happens to be religious in nature.

The thing about the Khalil Gibran School is that we don't know what the curriculum is. No one is scrutinizing it or checking to make sure that the school isn't being used as a local version of a madrassa. No one is allowed to check who the teachers are and where they come from. In fact, the original principal had to resign because she wouldn't disown a banner saying "Intifada" as being reprsentative of the school. Her claim was that it was in reference to girls "shaking off" (which is what intifada means literally) of oppression. We know, though, what Intifada referenced and I don't think a public school should be used to incite hatred.