Can Public Option Work?

Oy. Let's try this one last time:
If you have a public entity that caps its executive salaries, they will not be able to compete effectively for top managerial talent against private entities that can pay whatever they want. That is assuming the caps are below the "market rate" for such talent. If they arent below that market rate, then what is the point of having them?

I think your understanding of the job market and executive pay is the thing you were sold a bill of goods on. Executives at that level are under tremendous stress and basically have no lives. They are interested in making as much money as possible. If they weren't they would go into government. And the best execs also produce the best results for their companies, and so are well worth their salaries.

But you haven't answered the objection that a public entity still has to contend with the statistical realities of insurance.

I disagree with you....you have been sold a bill of goods....there are plenty of QUALIFIED ceo's out there that could whoop that ceo making 100 million a year's butt and then wipe the floor with it.... the ONLY reason is because the boaqrds and ceo's are in cahoots together...board members are just CEO's from other companies whose business does not conflict...they all run in the same circles and they are the ones who did THIS...make it where ceo's get so much more of the pie than previously when they were making 100 or 200 times the average worker to now nearing 400 times the average worker.

Goood smart people who are not greedy are out there to be had.....more transparency in the hiring practice to the shareholders and disclosure of deals to them might actually curb the board or some sort of rules put on to the board to prevent them from giving their ceo buddies the world and more on compensation and exit deals....

Shareholders are clueless on what is being stolen from them, and the ones in the know, are just ignored.....until something bad happens...

all the shareholders in 401k's are more than likely not the ones paying attention but the ones that rely on their fund managers....they are being ripped off imo, by these huge salaries...no where in the EU would they get their salaries or in Australia...

There is always a limit to what one should pay for any position and not just lower level employees, but every position....including the CEO.

While there can be and is abuse in general people get paid what they are worth. How much was Jack Welch worth? The man made hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe more, for GE's employees and shareholders. You don't replace someone like that too easily, as Immelt has discovered.
No one takes a job like that out of public service.

But you continue to dodge the central issue of how a "public option" is going to help reduce costs without taking taxpayer subsidies.

Harry, if we could lock out Libs every time they were proved to be wrong we'd have gulags of these suckers in Kansas somewhere.
The Libs have been wrong about every issue from Communism in the 1930s to Great Society programs in the 1960s to Soviet intentions in the 1980s up to the present day. A more failed record it would be hard to produce. And yet they show no shame, no remorse, and certainly no admission of wrong. Instead they blame someone else.

i just wanna know if Chris and Old Rocks will come forward and say they were wrong....if it passes and becomes the beacon of Health Care world wide.....ill let Chris and Rocks pelt me with cowshit.....

the ceo's of each plan will get their millions, but with the public insurance plan i envision the ceo salaries not being as lucrative, like NO $200 MILLION A YEAR in salary for one person, but maybe $2 million or $5 million a year salary....

like it was at one time....i dont have any problems with this....i have always felt that paying someone hundreds of millions of dollars a year to run a company is kinda ridiculous...especially when the co. is not doing well....and when 30 guys are going to get laid off making 30 thou a year....if that.....

The far rightoids continue to believe in a world that does not exist.

The health insurance bill is going to pass. Eventually a public option will come into play. Based on the European models (which we, with American ingenuity, will certainly improve), our health rates will improve drastically and our costs will go down.

The health insurance industry has already proved that it only works for itself, not for the American citizen. Rightoids, we are not going back to your pretend world. That was decided last fall and will reaffirmed next fall.

The health insurance bill is going to pass. Eventually a public option will come into play. Based on the European models (which we, with American ingenuity, will certainly improve), our health rates will improve drastically and our costs will go down.

The health insurance industry has already proved that it only works for itself, not for the American citizen. Rightoids, we are not going back to your pretend world. That was decided last fall and will reaffirmed next fall.

There will be no public option, nor a national health plan. Only idiots would want to give that sort of control to fed, higher taxes with less coverage. Not happening.

so the world that Pelosi and Reid live in is real?.....

Which is why Reid lost a huge procedural vote on the Senate floor yesterday. Even the less radical Dems arent going for his shit.

so the world that Pelosi and Reid live in is real?.....

The far, far left is as delusional as the far, far right. Even Rab will agree with at least the first part of that. Moderate GOP and conservative Dems will not buy off on a far liberal program. The final program is going to look something like Olympia Snow wants.

Last edited:
I am curious for the people that can afford health care insurance now and do not buy it. If the Public option comes into play, will people really jump on it and pay the premiums for it? For those that cannot afford it now but want it, I can see why they would get it; but then again they would still have to pay premiums to be able to get it albeit at a reduced cost. Looking at insurance for vehicles and how many people do not have it, how can the government guarentee that people will pay their premiums for it to work.

I do think alot of people automaticly assume that the public option means free health care. most of the uninformed probably think that, I also heard that they would fine people that do not get health care, there is alot of assumption going on in the government, if they fine people for not getting insurance how are they going to pay for that as well as the premuims for health insurance.

in a perfect world it would work, but there are alot of people that will not buy it "deadbeats" or do not even know they have to buy it. are they going to offer classes to those people that do not understand it or will it all be controlled by some bureaucrats and who will enforce the fines?

I could be all wrong about this and everyone will jump on it but I still do not think they will get the people to pay for it. and on top of that have they actually coem up with how much the premuims will be anyway?

I mean there are alot of folks that do not pay their child support/auto insurance and parking tickets/speeding tickets and numerous other things. I am sick of the debate about it but looking at how people sometimes are it is hard for me to believe this is going to be all that they say it is going to be.

You raise a lot of very good questions. I would add: what about the family guy that has recently been laid off? Is he going to buy food and shelter for his family, or health insurance? If he doesn't buy health ins., does he get a bill from the IRS when he files his tax return? Since I'm on this rant, I might as well add, the devious ways that they intend to pay for this are all bogus. The tax payer pays for everything. If they tax a corporation, they will pass it on to the consumer. They have to maintain a profit margin because there stock holders (you and I) demand it. We, the taxpayer are the bottom line. If government can't get the money from us, they are powerless.

There will be no public option, nor a national health plan. Only idiots would want to give that sort of control to fed, higher taxes with less coverage. Not happening.

Proof that you are living in a delusional world. When it passes, I will remind you of your statement. Guaranteed.

Proof that you are living in a delusional world. When it passes, I will remind you of your statement. Guaranteed.

The vast, overwhelming majority of Americans find the idea of universal healthcare by force, an abomination. They hate Obama, but moreso the Democrats in Congress that want to back his idiotic program.

The vast, overwhelming majority of Americans find the idea of universal healthcare by force, an abomination. They hate Obama, but moreso the Democrats in Congress that want to back his idiotic program.

This comments reminds me of Bush saying that "By Far the Vast Majority of My Tax Cuts Go to Those at the Bottom"...

Where do you get yours stats?

This comments reminds me of Bush saying that "By Far the Vast Majority of My Tax Cuts Go to Those at the Bottom"...

Where do you get yours stats?

Annie is delusional, Varth Dader. The first clue is her mistaking health insurance reform for universal health care. The second clue is the inference that Americans overwhelmingly support the far right agenda as some how being mainstream. She is just sick, as are so many on the loony fringe right.

I have recently talked to two general practice physicians, one late 40's the other mid 50's, both stated they would retire early or go into another professions should the government get that involved. Now you add an additional 40 million people to the health care system and you have some 50% of physicians, by an IBD poll, that state that they will retire early or quit all together, where is anyone going to go for health care. Just hope you don't end up getting in a serious car accident, because you might just end up in a hospital that doesn't have any doctors present to save your life.

I have recently talked to two general practice physicians, one late 40's the other mid 50's, both stated they would retire early or go into another professions should the government get that involved. Now you add an additional 40 million people to the health care system and you have some 50% of physicians, by an IBD poll, that state that they will retire early or quit all together, where is anyone going to go for health care. Just hope you don't end up getting in a serious car accident, because you might just end up in a hospital that doesn't have any doctors present to save your life.
Cool, two less greedy doctors.

Really dont have a clue, do you?

Anyway, this one's for Jake, King of the Unsubstantiated Statement. Guess you were wrong. Once again.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi counted votes Thursday night and determined she could not pass a “robust public option” — the most aggressive of the three forms of a public option House Democrats have been considering as part of a national overhaul of health care.
Exclusive: Pelosi lacks votes for most sweeping public option - Yahoo! News

Well, in my opinion, we are absolutely NUTS to pass this health care plan without the Public option in the House version.

And it is NUTS to leave the mandatory requirement in this bill, IF THERE IS NOT a public option....I say this because without a public option, and with mandatory purchase of insurance, means that the Health Insurance industry via FORCE ON THE plan purchaser, gets near every single citizen's business...via mandate...SOOOOOOOOOOO, there is NO reason to have to compete for these uninsured mandatory customers.

PRICES WILL GO UP....

IF they had to compete for these uninsured customers, then the chances are, prices would go down...they are sitting on supply...they can WRITE as many policies that they can write....the demand is sitting back and not buying because the prices are too high....if the insurance companies wanted to capture more of this demand (uninsured) out there, they would need to lower their prices...but with a MANDATE that ALL must have insurance...there is no fighting or competing with eachother to get these potential demand (customers) to come to them, and become insured....there is a mandate telling these people they HAVE TO buy this company's product....

In addition to this, without the public option, people will HAVE TO BUY it from a private business making a buck off of them....forced, forced forced to choose a private business getting a profit off of you? SOOOO TOTALLY WRONG.......

Also, making it mandatory, makes it mandatory for our government to give out these "affordability credits" because how can you get blood out of a turnip? So those qualifying, over and above the very low waged Medicaid recipients, through a means test, will also be given some "affordability credits"....this means people, via our taxes, will be FORCED to purchase a plan from these private businesses making a profit off of us with our tax dollars? That is just wrong....

WE ARE HANDING THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY THE BIGGEST GIFTHORSE BY CONGRESS SINCE THE MEDICARE PILL BILL WAS HANDED TO THE PHARMA INDUSTRY!

Last edited:
the insurance industry comes to $235 billion a year...

ALL OF THAT is money that is middle man money, money spent on NOTHING TO DO WITH health care SERVICES RENDERED....just for paper pushers...THAT'S 20% of what we collect for our entire nation in income taxes a year....just to put it in to perspective...and to show the money down the drain that could be saved or used to improve all of our actual health CARE needs.

the insurance industry comes to $235 billion a year...

ALL OF THAT is money that is middle man money, money spent on NOTHING TO DO WITH health care SERVICES RENDERED....just for paper pushers...THAT'S 20% of what we collect for our entire nation in income taxes a year....just to put it in to perspective...and to show the money down the drain that could be saved or used to improve all of our actual health CARE needs.

Just cutting out the money they spend on advertising would save a lot. The same is true of the pharmaceutical companies. It seems like every other ad on TV now is for one drug or another. Since when is it sensible to tell people to ask their doctors about some new drug? Most doctors know exactly what is new and could be helpful to a patient.

Cancer centers have also joined in the advertising frenzy. All of them seem to stress that they are the only way to get cured.

Forum List

Back