California’s assisted-dying law blocked by judge

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A judge ordered a halt Tuesday to California’s right-to-die law for terminally ill patients, ruling that it was illegally taken up and passed during a special legislative session devoted to health care funding. Unless a higher court intervenes, the law, in effect since June 2016, will become unenforceable next week.

The law allows a dying adult patient to take lethal medication that a doctor has prescribed. Before that, two doctors must have determined that the patient would die within six months and was mentally competent to choose death.

State health officials reported that between June 2016 and the end of that year, 173 Californians were prescribed life-ending drugs by their doctors and 111 of them took the drugs. Similar laws are in effect in six other states and the District of Columbia.

A group of doctors represented by the Life Legal Defense Foundation challenged the California law, arguing that it lacked safeguards and could be exploited by greedy relatives. Riverside County Superior Court Judge Daniel Ottolia refused to block the measure from taking effect in 2016, citing its requirements for medical evaluation, but refused to dismiss the suit and expressed concern over how the law had been adopted.

On Tuesday, Ottolia agreed with opponents that the Legislature had lacked authority to consider and enact the bill during a special session that Gov. Jerry Brown called in 2015 to address emergency needs in the state’s health care system — specifically, funding shortages for Medi-Cal, disability care and in-home nursing care.

Awe come on, man. Get it together.

"California assisted-dying law blocked by judge"

Well shit there goes my plans for the weekend....

A judge ordered a halt Tuesday to California’s right-to-die law for terminally ill patients, ruling that it was illegally taken up and passed during a special legislative session devoted to health care funding. Unless a higher court intervenes, the law, in effect since June 2016, will become unenforceable next week.

The law allows a dying adult patient to take lethal medication that a doctor has prescribed. Before that, two doctors must have determined that the patient would die within six months and was mentally competent to choose death.

State health officials reported that between June 2016 and the end of that year, 173 Californians were prescribed life-ending drugs by their doctors and 111 of them took the drugs. Similar laws are in effect in six other states and the District of Columbia.

A group of doctors represented by the Life Legal Defense Foundation challenged the California law, arguing that it lacked safeguards and could be exploited by greedy relatives. Riverside County Superior Court Judge Daniel Ottolia refused to block the measure from taking effect in 2016, citing its requirements for medical evaluation, but refused to dismiss the suit and expressed concern over how the law had been adopted.

On Tuesday, Ottolia agreed with opponents that the Legislature had lacked authority to consider and enact the bill during a special session that Gov. Jerry Brown called in 2015 to address emergency needs in the state’s health care system — specifically, funding shortages for Medi-Cal, disability care and in-home nursing care.

Awe come on, man. Get it together.
Keep in mind that the Progressive like laws like this one, All they have to do is change it a little and you can have a Committee make the decisions who needs to die.

A couple of years ago, I had rectum cancer. They removed the polyps and found no cancer anywhere else.
Today, I am having problems breathing. If that cancer has moved to my lungs I prefer a quick death to a lingering one.

Now there a judge who, in the fullness of time, needs to die a slow, lingering, exceptionally painful death whilst remaining fully conscious.
The judge's job is to uphold the law. The law in question was not passed legally and is, therefore, not legal. Thus, the judge did exactly the right thing.

I agree If I was a judge i would not pass it to where you can die it would be wrong to do but I am not a judge so i cant make that law.

A couple of years ago, I had rectum cancer. They removed the polyps and found no cancer anywhere else.
Today, I am having problems breathing. If that cancer has moved to my lungs I prefer a quick death to a lingering one.
I hope you have a Doctor who will give you pain meds, the government has shut many of the people who are in pain off of getting anything, or in such low doses that you get to the point of screaming. My only suggestion of Mexico for drugs that will ease you pain that you will get. Good luck.

Forum List

Back