California Was an Island

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Goos1666.jpg

Being very involved with researching the history of my home state, I always leap on anything that furthers it. These maps show just how little early explorers knew of our world. But, they also show just how adventurous they were. The main character of my next novel, Fernando Rivera, was part of a Jesuit expedition to disprove or prove this belief by travel through the rugged Baja terrain to discover the mouth of the Colorado River.

The entire collection can be viewed and downloaded /@ The Glen McLaughlin Map Collection of California as an Island - SearchWorks (SUL)

Read John McPhee's, Assembling California.

Part of California was an Island off the coast of Japan, after millions of years the island collided with North America, I think its part of Yosemite Valley/Sierra Nevada.

Assembling California by John McPhee ? Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

At various times in a span of fifteen years, John McPhee made geological field surveys in the company of Eldridge Moores, a tectonicist at the University of California at Davis. The result of these trips is Assembling California, a cross-section in human and geologic time, from Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada through the golden foothills of the Mother Lode and across the

Forum List

Back