California Death Row Inmate Assured Painless Execution

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by GotZoom, Feb 16, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I wonder if the 17 year old he raped, tortured and murdered experienced any pain.

-------

SAN FRANCISCO — California's attorney general told a judge Wednesday that the state would employ an anesthesiologist to make sure a death row inmate suffers no extreme pain during execution.

To comply with Tuesday's order by U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel of San Jose, the anesthesiologist must determine that Michael Morales is unconscious after he's given a sedative. Only then, under the judge's order, can a paralyzing agent and finally a heart-stopping drug be administered.

A spokesman for Attorney General Bill Lockyer said having the anesthesiologist present during next week's scheduled execution is "one of the best options available."

"It gives the state an opportunity to develop a clear record (about) what medical experts have already said: a person executed under California lethal injection protocol receives no pain," Lockyer spokesman Nathan Barankin said.

Fogel threatened to block the execution, scheduled for Tuesday, without the change of protocol to guarantee against cruel and unusual punishment, which is banned by the Constitution.

As an alternative, the judge had said the state could use an overdose of a sedative to execute Morales.

Also Wednesday, Morales lost another legal round to stay alive when the California Supreme Court dismissed one of his two remaining legal challenges. Without elaboration, the justices said the argument based on disputed trial testimony lacked merit.

Morales is on death row for the rape-torture murder of a 17-year-old San Joaquin County girl 25 years ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185032,00.html

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    And THIS deserves an absolutely painless execution? Hanged, drawn, and quartered would be too kind ..... :death:

3. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, executions should be carried out within 30 days. Supporting this bastard for 25 years is completely uncalled for, and a drain on finances that could be put to better use.

Second, why are we so worried about a "painless" execution? For the last time, <b>bullets are cheap</b>. They're effective as hell, too.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    But he's still with us. :coffee3: Seems the doctors wouldn't go along with it. Now if they don't off him by midnight tonight, I believe, they have to go back to the original judge, who no longer wants him executed.

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps, then, the judge is willing to take his place in the execution line?

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Good one Cindy :cof:

7. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, obviously, <i>someone</i> should pay.. After all, that poor kid paid with her life. And for what? Nothing.

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I wonder why they don't just make him bite down on a cyanide capsule if they are soo worried about his pain? It worked for Hilter...

I like the bullet idea as well, they killed that Russian serial killer that way, right after his trial, they took him back to his cell and shot him in the back of his skull.

9. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    See? Simple. Cheap. Fool proof. Effective.

End of story.

10. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    This guy just confirms my desire to bring back bear-baiting.