Caliber vs Shot placement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mr. P, Oct 22, 2006.

?

Which is more important

1. Caliber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Shot Placement

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Is caliber or shot placement more important?
    I am taking of pistols for personal and home protection.

My opinion is shot placement is more important. You can have a canon but if you can’t hit the target, it’s no more than a noise maker.

What do you think?

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Hmmm...IMO, both are important. A small round that hits exactly where it needs to but has no penetration is as useless as a large round that misses.

Shooting a grizzly bear with a BB gun comes to mind!

Obviously, there are a lot of factors involved beyond caliber and shot placement. Things like training, experience, and so on alll have an impact.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Oh I agree 100%. It’s difficult to discuss one without considering all other factors. Another consideration would be ammunition type and load.

Assuming you can hit the target with a well placed shot, what caliber would you choose .38, 9mm, .357, .40, .45, 10mm. and why?

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I would go with either the .357 or the .45. Lots of technical reasons but mostly because of the kinetic energy at the point of impact, ease of use (for me, they are somewhat easier to shoot), availability of ammo, etc. The .38 is a bit light, which is why a lot of law enforcement institutions and the US military have largely abandoned it. 9mm is ok I guess but a bit light still...usually has more rounds available though. I do not find that to be an advantage in personal or home defense; that scenario is more likely to involve one or two shots (at most). Combat scenarios are a different story and the 9 is a compromise between number of rounds and effectiveness. Outside of that I think you are getting into "personal preference" areas. Being an old Army sorta guy, I like the .45 the best.

5. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Power and placement are indeed important factors in this discussion.
    for me a 12 gauge is the weapon of choice for interior home security due to tight quarters. You'll get a pellet in the ass if you come around my house un-invited in the middle of oh-dark-thirty!:firing: but for more distant security then placement is the key and a 12 gauge doesn't achieve that IMO I can make a grease spot in the upper torso. But I don't shoot to disable I shoot to kill. :thup:

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I hear and read so many opinions that .40, .45 or even 10mm is the best, but I’ve read test result that concluded the 9mm is just as effective penetration wise as the .45 when loaded with the proper JHP. I’m satisfied the 9mm would be adequate. Easier to control and the ammunition cost for 9mm is cheaper than .45. Unless one has deep pockets cost is a significant factor if you are going to practice like you should. Just my opinion of course, it really does come down to personal preference at some point.

I have a S&W .357 revolver now and will keep it but I'm looking to purchase a semi-auto.

PS. During my active duty days pilots were issued .38 revolvers, better than nothing but where's my gun? LOL

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Ah, the never ending debate regarding the merits of the 9mm vs. the .45 cal!
    Interestingly, that debate is ongoing with the troops in the sandbox right now and the troops seem to want the .45; of course, most of the troops don't carry sidearms so it is a relatively small debating society.

You are correct about cost....what is your life worth...kidding but not!

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I would too. That reminds me, I went into a convenience store in a rural area one day. The guy behind the counter was wearing a hat that said “I don’t call 911”. I couldn’t figure that out until he turned slightly and exposed the pistol on his belt. I think he felt the same way.:)

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    "Aim for center of mass!"

Shotgun is of course effective, but some folks don't want to be patching all them pellet holes in their walls. Most folks don't know how to use a long gun at close quarters and they are hard to tuck under your pillow...heh.

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I wouldn’t poo-poo the .45. I just think the 9 fits my needs better. It’s accurate, effective and cheaper. It comes down to practice which = shot placement. If I can’t afford the round to become proficient a miss with a .45 is a miss.

What type round are they using, do you know? If it’s standard military I can see why they might want the .45 over there. They have 9s now right?