Cali Supreme Court upholds Prop 8

Incorrect. A marriage license is a privilege. But you can have a right to that privilege, if it is denied you for discriminatory reasons.
No, you are the one who is incorrect.

A license is legally defined as permission...Period. That is not my mere opinion, that is a fact of law.

There is no legal precedent whatsoever that declares anyone has any right to a privilege.

Being treated equally despite your gender or sexual orientation when under consideration for state privileges, is a right.
No matter the context, a license -which is what all this is about- is permission, by the word's very definition.

If it's a privilege, it ain't a right.

Incorrect. A marriage license is a privilege. But you can have a right to that privilege, if it is denied you for discriminatory reasons.

if i were you, i would not brag about attending lawschool....

it is not "but" you "can" have a right if you are denied the privilege, it is you have the right and cannnot be denied the so-called privilege....

have you read loving v. virginia?
Yes...That case had to do with ethnicity, not sexual behavior.

But the plaintiff didn't question the validity of the statutory nexus in the marriage, just whether it could be denied on the basis of ethnicity.

using your logic.....neither does homosexual marriage...it is just about gender, not about sexual behavior....

No matter the context, a license -which is what all this is about- is permission, by the word's very definition.

If it's a privilege, it ain't a right.

it is not "but" you "can" have a right if you are denied the privilege, it is you have the right and cannnot be denied the so-called privilege....

Lmfao. I typed too fast and mis-wrote. So sue me. Its clear what I meant, no need to be pedantic.

I am no lawyer but I see it as discrimination , I just can get why people would care if SSC get married?
Personally, I don't care.

What drives me nuts, though, is people doing the same thing over and over and over again, not expecting but demanding a different result.

Although definitely hetero, I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would want to make the state an interested 3rd party in my marriage (were I so inclined). It's dicey enough a situation with just the two real people involved.

No, you are the one who is incorrect.

A license is legally defined as permission...Period. That is not my mere opinion, that is a fact of law.

There is no legal precedent whatsoever that declares anyone has any right to a privilege.

Actually there are lots of legal precedents saying that people have rights to privileges. Cases saying that people have the RIGHT not to be discriminated against when renting an apartment (a privilege). Or see Loving v. Virgina. Or any number of other cases I'm sure.

I am no lawyer but I see it as discrimination , I just can get why people would care if SSC get married?
Personally, I don't care.

What drives me nuts, though, is people doing the same thing over and over and over again, not expecting but demanding a different result.

Although definitely hetero, I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would want to make the state an interested 3rd party in my marriage (were I so inclined). It's dicey enough a situation with just the two real people involved.

There are lots of reasons to have the state involved.

People die and don't leave wills. People go into the hospital and can't consent to have visitors. People want to give their loved ones some power over their lives without having to formally declare everything to the state.

Lmfao. I typed too fast and mis-wrote. So sue me. Its clear what I meant, no need to be pedantic.

actually no, it is not clear. i have no idea if you know the distinction or not. to assume such is a the height of arrogance, as if i should assume anytime you get something wrong you either typed to fast or didn't explain yourself well enough.

what is your full name so i can properly caption the complaint for intellectual battery.....

Actually there are lots of legal precedents saying that people have rights to privileges. Cases saying that people have the RIGHT not to be discriminated against when renting an apartment (a privilege). Or see Loving v. Virgina. Or any number of other cases I'm sure.
Wrong again.

The ruling in the Loving case merely pointed that the plaintiffs have equal access to the privilege, under the legal definition of a one-man-one-woman marriage....It did not grant them that privilege by decree.

Now, you care to attempt to cite another case???...I have my copy of Black's handy to cross-reference.

actually no, it is not clear. i have no idea if you know the distinction or not. to assume such is a the height of arrogance, as if i should assume anytime you get something wrong you either typed to fast or didn't explain yourself well enough.

what is your full name so i can properly caption the complaint for intellectual battery.....

No, no...they are EXACTLY the same I'm sure....

There are lots of reasons to have the state involved.

People die and don't leave wills. People go into the hospital and can't consent to have visitors. People want to give their loved ones some power over their lives without having to formally declare everything to the state.
That's not my problem.

Also, married couples who don't leave wills have all their belongings tied up in probate court....The marriage license doesn't help but marginally there.

And people can consecrate power of attorney, no matter their sexual or other behavioral proclivities.

:lol:

I'm a liberal and, like President Obama, I'm against Gay marriage.

Homosexuality is a deformity. A birth defect.

Prove me wrong.

No, no...they are EXACTLY the same I'm sure....

i changed it to include hope, now, how is that not exactly the same? are you saying the white people don't have unique experiences that give them the ability to make better decisions? only latina women have this cosmic ability?

I'm a liberal and, like President Obama, I'm against Gay marriage.

Homosexuality is a deformity. A birth defect.

Prove me wrong.

You have made sealybobo very upset...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXVs5zjZPFw]YouTube - Chris The Crazy Britney Spears Fan (not me)[/ame]

Forum List

Back