Cain wants the women to keep quiet

And it additionally does not help Herman Cain that his campaign manager went on Fox News and said the campaign would not agree or support the women involved being released from their non-disclosure agreements.

Is Herman Cain getting good advice on his campaign? - CSMonitor.com

Shocker!

This is whre his "unconventional" campaign falls apart. He needs good advice. He had 10 days to devise an answer. All he had to say day 1 is "yes, i was accused. the accusations were false. the woman settled her claims".

instead they've been fumfering and flailing. not letting her speak is stupid. he has hundreds of people who can't wait to try to turn her into anita hill... not to mention the fact that there were ostensibly witnesses who have no obligation to be nound by a nondisclosure agreement.

And it additionally does not help Herman Cain that his campaign manager went on Fox News and said the campaign would not agree or support the women involved being released from their non-disclosure agreements.

Shocker!

This is whre his "unconventional" campaign falls apart. He needs good advice. He had 10 days to devise an answer. All he had to say day 1 is "yes, i was accused. the accusations were false. the woman settled her claims".

instead they've been fumfering and flailing. not letting her speak is stupid. he has hundreds of people who can't wait to try to turn her into anita hill... not to mention the fact that there were ostensibly witnesses who have no obligation to be nound by a nondisclosure agreement.
The only reason I can think of to keep them from speaking is that it is a lot worse than it sounds.

NRA is probably going to push against the women as well....they probably don't want a scandal touching NRA.

Shocker!

this will make it look like cain is afraid of what they will say, which makes him look even more guilty and the claim that the accusations were false ring hollow......

Why should he release her from the agreement? She got paid. She's had her dime. If she wants to make more money from him.... she shouldn't have signed the damned agreement.

Why should he release her from the agreement? She got paid. She's had her dime. If she wants to make more money from him.... she shouldn't have signed the damned agreement.

because cain refusing to face his accusers in the public square while claiming that the accusations were no big deal will hurt cains campaign alot.......

The only reason I can think of to keep them from speaking is that it is a lot worse than it sounds.

NRA is probably going to push against the women as well....they probably don't want a scandal touching NRA.

I don't know. NRA paid and I don't know how long after Cain remained with them.

Very interesting column from Dana Milbank today:

WASHINGTON -- The Hermanator is now the hunted.

Herman Cain, the long-shot Republican presidential-candidate-turned-front-runner, has done just about everything wrong since news broke Sunday night that his former employer had paid two women to settle sexual harassment complaints against him.

Cain denied it. He said the women didn't understand his humor. He said his accusers fabricated the charges. He said he couldn't remember the details, then suddenly he could. He said he had no knowledge of the settlement, then suddenly recalled some details, which turned out to be vastly understated. He publicly predicted more allegations would surface. He blamed his opponents, he howled about racism, and he accused the media and the entire city of Washington of trying to do him in.

On Wednesday morning, he raised the paranoia dial another notch. "There are factions trying to destroy me personally, and this campaign," he announced, revealing this conspiracy to a group of technology executives at the Ritz-Carlton in Tysons Corner, Va.

At his next stop, a Hilton hotel in Alexandria, the amiable candidate finally blew his stack -- and the scene quickly escalated into violence. It began when a reporter asked Cain if he would release his accusers from their confidentiality agreements.

"I'm not going to talk about it," Cain snapped, "so don't even bother asking me all of these other questions that y'all are curious about. OK? Don't even bother."

"It's a good question," the reporter pointed out. "Are you concerned?" asked another.

Evidently, Cain was. "What did I say?" he hissed at the reporters, then attempted to break through the pack, shouting: "Excuse me. Excuse me! EXCUSE ME!" At that, his bodyguards began throwing elbows and shoving the reporters and photographers. "Stand back! ... Do not push me! ... Pushing is against the law! ... Watch out! ... Get a grip on yourself!" In the melee, a young boy and his father were shoved up against a wall.

His campaign's fisticuffs with Washington journalists probably won't do Cain any harm among his supporters in Iowa; in fact, it will probably help. But Cain's loss of control is a reminder of why he's never going to be president, no matter how high he rises in GOP primary polls.

Herman Cain, one angry man who won't become president | Statesman Journal | statesmanjournal.com

because HE is talking about it. that's why. and because he wants to be president. a professional woman shouldn't be okay with sexual harassment. you act like she was extorting him. do you think it's everyday that corporations pay money just because someone complains and BEFORE they file a complaint?

really?

because HE is talking about it. that's why. and because he wants to be president. a professional woman shouldn't be okay with sexual harassment. you act like she was extorting him. do you think it's everyday that corporations pay money just because someone complains and BEFORE they file a complaint?

really?

why do you hate Black Republican Men?

I agree. Apparantly the money was way, way, way more important that pursuing a sexual harrassment charge.

If it were real and important and it happened to me I'd have pursued it and told em to take their money and shove it up their ass.

This whole deal stinks to high heaven.

really?
Pretty much. It's a rational business decision. If the costs of fighting it outweigh the cost of settling, of course they will settle.

And, often the costs outweigh the settlement.

It's good business.

really?
Pretty much. It's a rational business decision. If the costs of fighting it outweigh the cost of settling, of course they will settle.

It's good business.

I agree, it often makes good business sense to settle a claim. but rarely BEFORE a claim is filed. If a case settles in advance, there's usually reason for it.

Either way, I just feel that if he can talk about it, then she should have the opportunity to tell her side. If she's a liar, that will out. If not, then Cain, as he should, will go down. But when you want the big job, sometimes you have to deal with these things. And knowing this was out there, he should have been prepared. But apprently, this guy doesn't do much prep.

Last edited:

Ahhh...so you're NOT really interested in getting to the TRUTH of this matter...are you?

Last edited:

I agree. Apparantly the money was way, way, way more important that pursuing a sexual harrassment charge.

If it were real and important and it happened to me I'd have pursued it and told em to take their money and shove it up their ass.

This whole deal stinks to high heaven.

yes, i'm sure if you were out of a job and had bills to pay, you'd have turned down the money.

i love women who hate other women.

I noticed that Cain left the NRA the same year (1999) as the incidents took place. Considering that at least one settlement represented a full year's salary for one of the women, I think that the lawyers must have considered the women's claims to have merit. It's no wonder, then, that Cain left shortly thereafter.

really?
I don't think the women were the ones that went to Politico. Someone else did. It's not their fault that all this came out. And if they were harassed, forcing them to keep silent is just more harassment, imo, since it is no fault of theirs that Cain is talking about it.

really?

why do you hate Black Republican Men?
Why do you hate them? And more importantly, why do you hate America?

really?
I don't think the women were the ones that went to Politico. Someone else did. It's not their fault that all this came out. And if they were harassed, forcing them to keep silent is just more harassment, imo, since it is no fault of theirs that Cain is talking about it.

exactly. thanks for refocusing the issue.

really?

It's good business.

I agree, it often makes good business sense to settle a claim. but rarely BEFORE a claim is filed. If a case settles in advance, there's usually reason for it.

Either way, I just feel that if he can talk about it, then she should have the opportunity to tell her side. If she's a liar, that will out. If not, then Cain, as he should, will go down. But when you want the big job, sometimes you have to deal with these things. And knowing this was out there, he should have been prepared. But apprently, this guy doesn't do much prep.

I don't know how these settlements work....is it basically a choice of keeping your job with the harasser, quitting your job with no recommendation for future employers, or getting a recommendation for future employment with a cash payout?

None of the choices sound all that good.

Forum List

Back