Cain wants the women to keep quiet

This is whre his "unconventional" campaign falls apart. He needs good advice. He had 10 days to devise an answer. All he had to say day 1 is "yes, i was accused. the accusations were false. the woman settled her claims".

instead they've been fumfering and flailing. not letting her speak is stupid. he has hundreds of people who can't wait to try to turn her into anita hill... not to mention the fact that there were ostensibly witnesses who have no obligation to be nound by a nondisclosure agreement.
The only reason I can think of to keep them from speaking is that it is a lot worse than it sounds.

NRA is probably going to push against the women as well....they probably don't want a scandal touching NRA.

I noticed that Cain left the NRA the same year (1999) as the incidents took place. Considering that at least one settlement represented a full year's salary for one of the women, I think that the lawyers must have considered the women's claims to have merit. It's no wonder, then, that Cain left shortly thereafter.
Anyone know the stated reason he left? It'd be good to see his personnel records.

Pretty much. It's a rational business decision. If the costs of fighting it outweigh the cost of settling, of course they will settle.

And, often the costs outweigh the settlement.

It's good business.

I agree, it often makes good business sense to settle a claim. but rarely BEFORE a claim is filed. If a case settles in advance, there's usually reason for it.

Either way, I just feel that if he can talk about it, then she should have the opportunity to tell her side. If she's a liar, that will out. If not, then Cain, as he should, will go down. But when you want the big job, sometimes you have to deal with these things. And knowing this was out there, he should have been prepared. But apprently, this guy doesn't do much prep.

I don't know how these settlements work....is it basically a choice of keeping your job with the harasser, quitting your job with no recommendation for future employers, or getting a recommendation for future employment with a cash payout?

None of the choices sound all that good.

The best scenario is not getting harassed in the first place.

The only reason I can think of to keep them from speaking is that it is a lot worse than it sounds.

NRA is probably going to push against the women as well....they probably don't want a scandal touching NRA.

I noticed that Cain left the NRA the same year (1999) as the incidents took place. Considering that at least one settlement represented a full year's salary for one of the women, I think that the lawyers must have considered the women's claims to have merit. It's no wonder, then, that Cain left shortly thereafter.
Anyone know the stated reason he left? It'd be good to see his personnel records.

it probably says it was for career advancement and other opportunities.

And it additionally does not help Herman Cain that his campaign manager went on Fox News and said the campaign would not agree or support the women involved being released from their non-disclosure agreements.

Is Herman Cain getting good advice on his campaign? - CSMonitor.com

Shocker!

This is whre his "unconventional" campaign falls apart. He needs good advice. He had 10 days to devise an answer. All he had to say day 1 is "yes, i was accused. the accusations were false. the woman settled her claims".

instead they've been fumfering and flailing. not letting her speak is stupid. he has hundreds of people who can't wait to try to turn her into anita hill... not to mention the fact that there were ostensibly witnesses who have no obligation to be nound by a nondisclosure agreement.

"yes, i was accused. the accusations were false. the woman settled her claims".

isn't that what he said??:eusa_eh:

Why should he release her from the agreement? She got paid. She's had her dime. If she wants to make more money from him.... she shouldn't have signed the damned agreement.

Ahhh...so you're NOT interesting in getting to the TRUTH of this matter...are you?

Neither are you, you're only interested in demonizing a black man........

A black Republican man. If this were a Black Democrat man, it'd go the same way Jillian wanted the weenie guy to go.. he sent nude photos unsolicited to women he did not know. NOW THAT"S sexual harassment. and she thinks he should still be a congressman..

it probably says it was for career advancement and other opportunities.

he wanted to spend more time with his family.

because HE is talking about it. that's why. and because he wants to be president. a professional woman shouldn't be okay with sexual harassment. you act like she was extorting him. do you think it's everyday that corporations pay money just because someone complains and BEFORE they file a complaint?

really?
Pretty much. It's a rational business decision. If the costs of fighting it outweigh the cost of settling, of course they will settle.

And, often the costs outweigh the settlement.

It's good business.

I agree, it often makes good business sense to settle a claim. but rarely BEFORE a claim is filed. If a case settles in advance, there's usually reason for it.

Either way, I just feel that if he can talk about it, then she should have the opportunity to tell her side. If she's a liar, that will out. If not, then Cain, as he should, will go down. But when you want the big job, sometimes you have to deal with these things. And knowing this was out there, he should have been prepared. But apprently, this guy doesn't do much prep.
I agree that, if one party talks, then the other should as well. I'm no fan of single sources especially if that source is one of the parties. If one speaks about it, then both should.

The leak itself is dirty politics, especially when the leaker knows there is a NDA involved, irrespective of which party leaked it.

Personally, if I were the woman, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. It's been years since it happened and I would imagine I was well on my career path elsewhere. I wouldn't give a damn if Cain was lying or not - no one knows my name. I would keep it that way. I would not want the attention this would bring me. Not at all, as a matter of fact.

I chose to take the settlement and I've moved on. If it were so bad that I had to fight it, I would have done so.

That's what I would do, that's all.

So, if she really wants to talk, then she should. I just hope she knows what will come with that. I can't think that will be pretty.

And, I know that Cain is getting a lot of criticism for seeming like he wasn't prepared for this. I don't see that as a criticism at all. I find it refreshing that he didn't have a slick spin all canned for him.

I don't like the assumptions that the women are bad persons before we know a thing about them. I don't understand why they would want to talk (for the reasons I stated), but perhaps I am overlooking a motivation.

Anyway, at this point, if they really want to talk, they should.

I doubt I would hold this against any candidates, regardless of party. As far as sex goes in powerful political circles, so far, this is very tame.

And, I simply never have understood the obsession of others with such things. But, it exists.

Last edited:
I think that they should keep quiet. Squirmin' Herman is done. they don't need to bring the aggravation onto themselves from assholes like James O'Keefe, knocking at their door at 3 AM, harassing their family and friends, etc.

Why should he release her from the agreement? She got paid. She's had her dime. If she wants to make more money from him.... she shouldn't have signed the damned agreement.

Eh, because it will make the issue go away presuming there's nothing to the claims?

Nah, that's too easy.

so is that the way its supposed to work? why have a NDA at all then?

Eh, because it will make the issue go away presuming there's nothing to the claims?

Nah, that's too easy.

So that the details of an event or settlement don't hit the public record.

I wouldn't expect either Cain or the NRA to admit that Cain left under a cloud, especially since there was a nondisclosure clause in the settlement.

Neither would have anything to gain by stating the real reason for his departure, and it may have been mutually understood that it would be best if he moved on if he had a history or hitting on these younger women when drinking at company functions. Frankly, it seems like enough people knew about these incidents because it looks like some of them happened in public with witnesses around. At any rate, the NRA wouldn't have paid out $35,000 (I just read one settlement was for $45,000) if there was no evidence of sexual harassment.

Last edited:

So that the details of an event or settlement don't hit the public record.

welllllllllllllllll?????????

The details have, for the most part, hit the public record - in large part because Cain has told us.

The person on the other side might want the option to share her details as well.

I wouldn't expect either Cain or the NRA to admit that Cain left under a cloud, especially since there was a nondisclosure clause in the settlement.

Neither would have anything to gain by stating the real reason for his departure, and it may have been mutually understood that it would be best if he moved on if he had a history or hitting on these younger women when drinking at company functions. Frankly, it seems like enough people new about these incidents because it looks like some of them happened in public with witnesses around. At any rate, the NRA wouldn't have paid out $35,000 (I just read one settlement was for $45,000) if there was no evidence of sexual harassment.
You are aware that it was the women who left NRA as part of their agreement, not Cain, right?

Forum List

Back