CA State Air Board Wants Black Cars Banned

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
March 26

If you think black is a hot color for a car, you're not alone. The California Air Resources Board thinks the same thing. And that's a problem.

The CARB believes the air conditioning systems in black cars work harder and waste more energy than the ones in lighter colored cars.

It also wants the car companies to come up with new, more energy efficent paints.

But they haven't been able to come up with a new black paint.

The best the carmakers can do, so far, looks like "mud-puddle brown."

KESQ.com Palm Springs, Coachella Valley - Weather, News, Sports: State Air Board Wants Black Cars Banned

March 26

If you think black is a hot color for a car, you're not alone. The California Air Resources Board thinks the same thing. And that's a problem.

The CARB believes the air conditioning systems in black cars work harder and waste more energy than the ones in lighter colored cars.

It also wants the car companies to come up with new, more energy efficent paints.

KESQ.com Palm Springs, Coachella Valley - Weather, News, Sports: State Air Board Wants Black Cars Banned

wooo even rocks in the head has to think this one is off the charts
I'm telling ya soon you will not be allowed to go to the bathroom in
California

Next are convertibles and sunroofs.

Actually, I'm surprised they even allow black cars. I mean...after all, black is racist.

I'm thinking cars in San Diego should be brown (for their proximity to Mexico), Los Angeles should be an off white (blond), and San Francisco...well, it's obvious...pink.

Yes. I know.

I'm going to hell for that.

You guys do realize we are talking about the people who think global warming is going to cause the next Ice Age.

They dont really care about the environment. its all about controlling people.

Its getting pretty pathetic in CA. Seems they are trying to take away any right that they possibly can. Its pretty pathetic when you can't even put your cell phone to your ear while your driving. Now their gunning for black cars. Come On!! If this goes then basically the gov can out law any thing in the name of saving the environment.

.. if that makes it to his desk, I hope A(R)nold will veto it...

next new CA color... green apple splatter..

Why do they assume people who drive black cars use more energy? I drive a black car, and I hardly ever use my air conditioner.

What about the fucks who ride around with their sunroof open on a hot day AND blast the A/C to keep cool?

Theres no test resluts or anything stated as to why.. i can see the black paint making the outside of the car hotter/the paint.. but the inside... not sure.. ..

There is enough space and insulation between the cab and the interior to prevent the heat from transferring to the inside.. maybe not with the model T but it seems most car interiors should not be affected by the color of the paint..

unless there is a test/study done on this??

The cars interior gets heated up by sunlight hitting the dashboard/seats or interior.. warming that up which warms the air that gets trapped in the car if the windows are rolled up.. the color of the exterior of the car shouldnt influence the interior more so than this??

or are they thinking that black cars warm the outside air more???

Last edited:
I don't know about black on the outside of a car but I can tell you . . . . I drove a Mercury Gran Marquise for seven years. The outside of the car was light blue, the interior was dark blue leather; dark blue dashboard. It was the hottest fucking car I've ever been in. I hated it. In the summer I often had to turn the A/C on for five minutes before entering the car. Yes, I kept the windows cracked and all that . . . . it was just awful. I finally resorted to putting towels on the seat and using those giant cardboard things over the windshield (inside the car). It was still sweltering (beyond the norm) inside.

Did I use the A/C more than I do now? I don't know; I didn't pay attention because I was trying to keep my fingers from blistering when holding the steering wheel. :eek: I do know that that particular car, with the dark leather interior, was thee hottest thing I've ever, ever been in and I will never buy another car with a dark interior or anything other than cloth seats. Just my two cents. :)

March 26

They should simply ban air-conditioners...problem solved.

March 26

They should simply ban air-conditioners...problem solved.

Missourian...don't go giving California any ideas. :eusa_shhh: :eusa_shhh:

Next are convertibles and sunroofs.

Actually, I'm surprised they even allow black cars. I mean...after all, black is racist.

I'm thinking cars in San Diego should be brown (for their proximity to Mexico), Los Angeles should be an off white (blond), and San Francisco...well, it's obvious...pink.

Yes. I know.

I'm going to hell for that.

When they take your black Cowbell...all is lost.

Forum List

Back