buying a house or condo avoid ones with HOA's

Is there a CAP on HOA annual increases? Who holds this money? Do you get a refund if they don't need your $140/mo? Do they settle with ever slimy slip-fall lawyer who sends in subject? Make u pay for it? Only front exterior, grounds and roof covered? I'm sure it becomes complicated when they cook meth.

the issue with hoa's is the changing of the board of directors....you can glide for a decade then suddenly the board changes and there are more rules....

Every HOA is run by fascists.
not mine.....at least the people who have lived there a while dont think so....many think they are too lax....
Anyone saying they need to first approve the color chip for painting your home is a fascist.
the answer for you is simple....dont move in to an HOA run place....but when your nice neighborhood is ruined by the people who move in next door and dont take care of the lawn,have five cars permanently parked in the driveway with cobwebs on the tires,broken out windows that are boarded up,a place that brings down the whole street....then what would you do?.....and i have seen houses like this in nice neighborhoods when i was still delivering mail....it affects the value...

Homes associations wield far more power than homeowners realize. That’s because local governments have saved money by ceding HOAs more and more authority over such responsibilities as streets and sewers. Associations can fine you for leaving a garage door open and seize your home over late dues.

“A lot of people don’t realize, especially first-time homebuyers, that when you purchase into these homeowners associations you are giving up some of your constitutional rights and some of your due process rights,” said Dave Russell, who rescued a troubled Arizona condo association and now runs it to much acclaim.

HOA boards often are run by volunteers with little training, which can lead to neighborhood strife and even violence. Lawsuits are filed over seemingly petty issues such as “unattractive” flowerpots on a front step.

The result?

An institution originally created to protect homeowners instead has morphed into one that sometimes torments them.

Read more here: HOAs from hell: Homes associations that once protected residents now torment them
No way around HOA's for condo's and townhomes.

A condo is an apartment that you can own. Other people live above you and below you and to the sides.

A townhome is a home connected to other homes side by side sharing common walls.

HOA's is how you govern the common real estate such as the grounds, the roofing, the parking lot, etc.

Last edited:
not mine.....at least the people who have lived there a while dont think so....many think they are too lax....
Anyone saying they need to first approve the color chip for painting your home is a fascist.
the answer for you is simple....dont move in to an HOA run place....but when your nice neighborhood is ruined by the people who move in next door and dont take care of the lawn,have five cars permanently parked in the driveway with cobwebs on the tires,broken out windows that are boarded up,a place that brings down the whole street....then what would you do?.....and i have seen houses like this in nice neighborhoods when i was still delivering mail....it affects the value...
Moved out of an HOA 30 years ago and have loved my postcard neighborhood since. If you want to live in a neighborhood where people have no pride or ambition then you stick to your HOA.

Moved out of an HOA 30 years ago and have loved my postcard neighborhood since. If you want to live in a neighborhood where people have no pride or ambition then you stick to your HOA.
no pride or ambition?....every weekend everyone is out doing yard work....were i used to live the only yard work those people did was putting more shit in the yard....and weatherman?....why did you not answer my question?...."when your nice neighborhood is ruined by the people who move in next door and dont take care of the lawn,have five cars permanently parked in the driveway with cobwebs on the tires,broken out windows that are boarded up,a place that brings down the whole street....then what would you do?"..and like i said, i have seen houses like this in nice neighborhoods when i was still delivering mail....it does affects the value..

no pride or ambition?....every weekend everyone is out doing yard work....were i used to live the only yard work those people did was putting more shit in the yard....and weatherman?....why did you not answer my question?...."when your nice neighborhood is ruined by the people who move in next door and dont take care of the lawn,have five cars permanently parked in the driveway with cobwebs on the tires,broken out windows that are boarded up,a place that brings down the whole street....then what would you do?"..and like i said, i have seen houses like this in nice neighborhoods when i was still delivering mail....it does affects the value..
30 years and your scenario has yet to occur in my entire non HOA town.

The fascists can stick to inspecting lawns for weeds.

i delivered in the Anaheim Hills....average house worth around $3-400,000....and my scenario has happened quite a few times...and i dont believe in your entire town it has never happened.....sorry....

i delivered in the Anaheim Hills....average house worth around $3-400,000....and my scenario has happened quite a few times...and i dont believe in your entire town it has never happened.....sorry....
Funny, that's where I fled.

Depends on the HOA. I've been in a neighborhood with an HOA for 7 years with no issues. My previous neighborhood did not have an HOA and we had home owners parking boats in their front yard (we didn't live near water). Some homes had trash in the yard and one guy left a toilet in his front yard for over a year. It was frustrating because most of the home owners in the neighborhood were responsible. It only take a few to ruin it. So... When I moved to my new house with the HOA I was glad to be in a neighborhood where rules were "reasonably" enforced. It's worked out for the past 7 years.

good move....many of those people thought their shit dont stink...

good move....many of those people thought their shit dont stink...
My shit stunk. Like when I had to work for 80 weeks for 3 weeks without a day off so 500 people could get back to work and earn money only to get a letter from the HOA I had weeds in my lawn.

Loved the guy down the street though. Painted his house bright blue as an FU to the HOA.

i will admit i have never lived in hoa ruled area.....i would rather live in a fucking slum....and i have lol....than have someone lording over me...my house is modest but the i look out on my own property....and no one tells me or grumpy what the hell we have to do...the kids next door ...have explosives...redneck not terrorist....they ride the hell outta dirt bikes with no mufflers...and they do this on the main road....and the old folks are hooking up with golf carts....our new neighbors have goats....their 14 yr old son ask about the bamboo...he can see on our property...we told him to go for it..whatever he wants to make...none of our neighborhood kids play anywhere where their are needles or used condoms....we managed all that will simple common decency....in the mountains if you dont have common decency you end up living in one of the bad hollars....i will say this about grumpy and the other men on this creek...they dont cotton to what they call worthless white trash....i live very well knowing if a man touches me.....all i have to do is tell grumpy or my son....that will be the end of it...and if i am at home...i am armed...not to son's standards lol....i figure he will borg his right hand into a pistol as soon as possible...shm....lord gun fever makes them idiots
the HOA i now have made it clear they only care about you keeping your house and front yard looking good......the back yard they dont care as long as you are not doing something that affects your neighbors.....if they get complaints they have to check it out....so far everyone is pretty nice.....

The problem with mine isn't that they don't do things that fall under what they're designed to do, using the items you listed in post #17, it's that they apply it inconsistently.

Another problem we as homeowners had was one of the board members would come into back yards through gated fences and take pictures.

We went to visit friends in Hilton Head last winter. Very nice! The communities are referred to as "Plantations". I suspect they call them that to keep the Blacks out.

Better lax than overbearing. When I owned a house in Reston, VA the HOA was oppressive at best as Reston was one of the original planned communities and they were extremely restrictive. My parents house in Widefield, CO had an HOA but no one ever paid attention to them and the HOA had no teeth to be able to enforce any rules, the first thing most of the original homeowners did was put in chain link fences, barred by the covenants. That was good first 20 years but as all the original owners moved or died off the neighborhood slowly declined in certain areas though for the most part the homes and yards are still well maintained.

i will admit i have never lived in hoa ruled area.....i would rather live in a fucking slum....and i have lol....than have someone lording over me...my house is modest but the i look out on my own property....and no one tells me or grumpy what the hell we have to do...the kids next door ...have explosives...redneck not terrorist....they ride the hell outta dirt bikes with no mufflers...and they do this on the main road....and the old folks are hooking up with golf carts....our new neighbors have goats....their 14 yr old son ask about the bamboo...he can see on our property...we told him to go for it..whatever he wants to make...none of our neighborhood kids play anywhere where their are needles or used condoms....we managed all that will simple common decency....in the mountains if you dont have common decency you end up living in one of the bad hollars....i will say this about grumpy and the other men on this creek...they dont cotton to what they call worthless white trash....i live very well knowing if a man touches me.....all i have to do is tell grumpy or my son....that will be the end of it...and if i am at home...i am armed...not to son's standards lol....i figure he will borg his right hand into a pistol as soon as possible...shm....lord gun fever makes them idiots
the HOA i now have made it clear they only care about you keeping your house and front yard looking good......the back yard they dont care as long as you are not doing something that affects your neighbors.....if they get complaints they have to check it out....so far everyone is pretty nice.....

The problem with mine isn't that they don't do things that fall under what they're designed to do, using the items you listed in post #17, it's that they apply it inconsistently.

Another problem we as homeowners had was one of the board members would come into back yards through gated fences and take pictures.

Sic a couple of dogs on him.

Forum List

Back