Bush's final F.U.

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
Bush's Final F.U. : Rolling Stone

Bush's Final F.U.
The administration is rushing to enact a host of last-minute regulations that will screw America for years to come

TIM DICKINSON

With president-elect Barack Obama already taking command of the financial crisis, it's tempting to think that regime change in America is a done deal. But if George Bush has his way, the country will be ruled by his slash-and-burn ideology for a long time to come.

In its final days, the administration is rushing to implement a sweeping array of "midnight regulations" — de facto laws issued by the executive branch — designed to lock in Bush's legacy. Under the last- minute rules, which can be extremely difficult to overturn, loaded firearms would be allowed in national parks, uranium mining would be permitted near the Grand Canyon and many injured consumers would no longer be able to sue negligent manufacturers in state courts. Other rules would gut the Endangered Species Act, open millions of acres of wild lands to mining, restrict access to birth control and put local cops to work spying for the federal government.

"It's what we've seen for Bush's whole tenure, only accelerated," says Gary Bass, executive director of the nonpartisan group OMB Watch. "They're using regulation to cement their deregulatory mind-set, which puts corporate interests above public interests."

While every modern president has implemented last-minute regulations, Bush is rolling them out at a record pace — nearly twice as many as Clinton, and five times more than Reagan. "The administration is handing out final favors to its friends," says Véronique de Rugy, a scholar at George Mason University who has tracked six decades of midnight regulations. "They couldn't do it earlier — there would have been too many political repercussions. But with the Republicans having lost seats in Congress and the presidency changing parties, Bush has nothing left to lose."

The most jaw-dropping of Bush's rule changes is his effort to eviscerate the Endangered Species Act. Under a rule submitted in November, federal agencies would no longer be required to have government scientists assess the impact on imperiled species before giving the go-ahead to logging, mining, drilling, highway building or other development. The rule would also prohibit federal agencies from taking climate change into account in weighing the impact of projects that increase greenhouse emissions — effectively dooming polar bears to death-by-global-warming. According to Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, "They've taken the single biggest threat to wildlife and said, 'We're going to pretend it doesn't exist, for regulatory purposes.'"

Bush is also implementing other environmental rules that will cater to the interests of many of his biggest benefactors:

BIG COAL In early December, the administration finalized a rule that allows the industry to dump waste from mountaintop mining into neighboring streams and valleys, a practice opposed by the governors of both Tennessee and Kentucky. "This makes it legal to use the most harmful coal-mining technology available," says Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council. A separate rule also relaxes air-pollution standards near national parks, allowing Big Coal to build plants next to some of America's most spectacular vistas — even though nine of 10 EPA regional administrators dissented from the rule or criticized it in writing. "They're willing to sacrifice the laws that protect our national parks in order to build as many new coal plants as possible," says Mark Wenzler, director of clean-air programs for the National Parks Conservation Association. "This is the last gasp of Bush and Cheney's disastrous policy, and they've proven there's no line they won't cross."

BIG OIL In a rule that becomes effective just three days before Obama takes office, the administration has opened up nearly 2 million acres of mountainous lands in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming for the mining of oil shale — an energy-intensive process that also drains precious water resources. "The administration has admitted that it has no idea how much of Colorado's water supply would be required to develop oil shale, no idea where the power would come from and no idea whether the technology is even viable," says Sen. Ken Salazar of Colorado. What's more, Bush is slashing the royalties that Big Oil pays for oil-shale mining from 12.5 percent to five percent. "A pittance," says Salazar.

Follow the link for the entire article

sillie you...none of this is bush's fault...if you would pay attention you would know that its none of this is his fault and if it is...to quote the great mind himself "so what"

Almost all of his changes are pro business anti working class and environment. This guy is a flaming little buttwipe right up to the end.

That would be a cool university to attend, 'F.U.'

"what school did you go to?"

"FU"

"hey, I'm just asking, what school was it?"

"FU"

"Well FU you too buttwipe!"

I wonder how long people will keep beating on him after he's left office.

I wonder how long people will keep beating on him after he's left office.

probably as long as it takes to un-screw up what he's screwed up.

you don't think he deserves to be "beat on" for this? his policies and agenda were pretty well rejected... at least so says 365 electoral votes. so why would you think it's ok for him to impose his agenda on the people who voted against him in the first place, just to make sure the new president has to hassle and undo the damage instead of being able to move forward from day one.

It's a lowlife move. In a fight, I think it would be called a sucker punch.

you don't think he deserves to be "beat on" for this? his policies and agenda were pretty well rejected... at least so says 365 electoral votes. so why would you think it's ok for him to impose his agenda on the people who voted against him in the first place, just to make sure the new president has to hassle and undo the damage instead of being able to move forward from day one.

I'm just tired of the hysterical raving. OMG you can't believe what he did now. Obama will undo whatever he thinks needs to be undone. If Obama doesn't undo every last terribly awfully terrible thing Bush did will you beat on him for not undoing it?

You've got it all wrong. Rightwingers have been instructed to say that Bush is really a liberal, he dissapointed them, and they never really supported them.

Even though Bush did exactly what he promised to do, as far back as 2000, with 99.9999% republican support for 8 years.....tax cuts for the rich, more spending and corporate handouts, and a war that conservatives really feel in love with.

I'm just tired of the hysterical raving. OMG you can't believe what he did now. Obama will undo whatever he thinks needs to be undone. If Obama doesn't undo every last terribly awfully terrible thing Bush did will you beat on him for not undoing it?

I haven't seen any "raving" on this issue.

I think right now it's fair to address the things Bush is doing on his way out the door to stick it to the new administration and the people who voted against his failed policies.

What should they do? Say "awwwwwwwwwwwww... how cute"? ignore him?

I think you need to separate legitimate complaints from potshots.

I haven't seen any "raving" on this issue.

I think right now it's fair to address the things Bush is doing on his way out the door to stick it to the new administration and the people who voted against his failed policies.

What should they do? Say "awwwwwwwwwwwww... how cute"? ignore him?

I think you need to separate legitimate complaints from potshots.

You wasted your time on her once, let alone twice. Nice of you though, I guess. lmao

Come on what did you expect from the most corrupt preidential administration in our lifetimes?

These people have no dignity, no honor, no ethics.

They are crooks. Isn't that fucking obvious by now?

Come on what did you expect from the most corrupt preidential administration in our lifetimes?

These people have no dignity, no honor, no ethics.

They are crooks. Isn't that fucking obvious by now?

Evil crooks.

Bush's Final F.U. : Rolling Stone

Bush's Final F.U.
The administration is rushing to enact a host of last-minute regulations that will screw America for years to come

TIM DICKINSON

With president-elect Barack Obama already taking command of the financial crisis, it's tempting to think that regime change in America is a done deal. But if George Bush has his way, the country will be ruled by his slash-and-burn ideology for a long time to come.

In its final days, the administration is rushing to implement a sweeping array of "midnight regulations" — de facto laws issued by the executive branch — designed to lock in Bush's legacy. Under the last- minute rules, which can be extremely difficult to overturn, loaded firearms would be allowed in national parks, uranium mining would be permitted near the Grand Canyon and many injured consumers would no longer be able to sue negligent manufacturers in state courts. Other rules would gut the Endangered Species Act, open millions of acres of wild lands to mining, restrict access to birth control and put local cops to work spying for the federal government.

"It's what we've seen for Bush's whole tenure, only accelerated," says Gary Bass, executive director of the nonpartisan group OMB Watch. "They're using regulation to cement their deregulatory mind-set, which puts corporate interests above public interests."

While every modern president has implemented last-minute regulations, Bush is rolling them out at a record pace — nearly twice as many as Clinton, and five times more than Reagan. "The administration is handing out final favors to its friends," says Véronique de Rugy, a scholar at George Mason University who has tracked six decades of midnight regulations. "They couldn't do it earlier — there would have been too many political repercussions. But with the Republicans having lost seats in Congress and the presidency changing parties, Bush has nothing left to lose."

The most jaw-dropping of Bush's rule changes is his effort to eviscerate the Endangered Species Act. Under a rule submitted in November, federal agencies would no longer be required to have government scientists assess the impact on imperiled species before giving the go-ahead to logging, mining, drilling, highway building or other development. The rule would also prohibit federal agencies from taking climate change into account in weighing the impact of projects that increase greenhouse emissions — effectively dooming polar bears to death-by-global-warming. According to Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, "They've taken the single biggest threat to wildlife and said, 'We're going to pretend it doesn't exist, for regulatory purposes.'"

Bush is also implementing other environmental rules that will cater to the interests of many of his biggest benefactors:

BIG COAL In early December, the administration finalized a rule that allows the industry to dump waste from mountaintop mining into neighboring streams and valleys, a practice opposed by the governors of both Tennessee and Kentucky. "This makes it legal to use the most harmful coal-mining technology available," says Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council. A separate rule also relaxes air-pollution standards near national parks, allowing Big Coal to build plants next to some of America's most spectacular vistas — even though nine of 10 EPA regional administrators dissented from the rule or criticized it in writing. "They're willing to sacrifice the laws that protect our national parks in order to build as many new coal plants as possible," says Mark Wenzler, director of clean-air programs for the National Parks Conservation Association. "This is the last gasp of Bush and Cheney's disastrous policy, and they've proven there's no line they won't cross."

BIG OIL In a rule that becomes effective just three days before Obama takes office, the administration has opened up nearly 2 million acres of mountainous lands in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming for the mining of oil shale — an energy-intensive process that also drains precious water resources. "The administration has admitted that it has no idea how much of Colorado's water supply would be required to develop oil shale, no idea where the power would come from and no idea whether the technology is even viable," says Sen. Ken Salazar of Colorado. What's more, Bush is slashing the royalties that Big Oil pays for oil-shale mining from 12.5 percent to five percent. "A pittance," says Salazar.

Follow the link for the entire article
I don't find anything particularly objectionable here once one looks past the obvious liberal spin in the article. More oil supply, more coal powered power plants, more gun rights, more uranium mining for much needed power plants, reducing an overly litigious society, reducing overzealous environmental restrictions against mining, logging and development, etc., etc. All sounds good to me.

This doesn't sound "nonpartisan" to me. Since when has promoting industrial development that will produce much needed jobs become putting "corporate interests above public interests"? Jobs aren't in the public's interest?!? :confused:

The rule would also prohibit federal agencies from taking climate change into account in weighing the impact of projects that increase greenhouse emissions — effectively dooming polar bears to death-by-global-warming.
What a bunch of silly hyperbole...

Who can take this article seriously? :confused:

I don't understand why any President can make such changes when he has no reason to fear the consequences. It's like handing an Uzi to a death row inmate.

I don't understand why any President can make such changes when he has no reason to fear the consequences. It's like handing an Uzi to a death row inmate.

More like allowing him to poison the community well before he is dispatched, but we get your point, well enough.

Forum List

Back