Bush official claims his memo against the use of torture was destroyed

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by JimH52, Apr 23, 2009.

1. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
  2. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    "I felt obliged to put an alternative view in front of my colleagues at other agencies, warning them that other lawyers (and judges) might find the OLC views unsustainable," Zelikow writes. "My colleagues were entitled to ignore my views. They did more than that: The White House attempted to collect and destroy all copies of my memo."

Wow.

Zelikow asserts that the "underlying absurdity of the (Bush) administration's position can be summarized this way. Once you get to a substantive compliance analysis for "cruel, inhuman, and degrading" you get the position that the substantive standard is the same as it is in analogous U.S. constitutional law. ... In other words, Americans in any town of this country could constitutionally be hung from the ceiling naked, sleep deprived, water-boarded, and all the rest -- if the alleged national security justification was compelling. I did not believe our federal courts could reasonably be expected to agree with such a reading of the Constitution."

Interesting point, I hand't thought about that.

3. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    But not all Americans were hung from a ceiling naked, sleep deprived, waterboarded now were they? Only terrorists who wanted to blow apart the Brooklyn Bridge and commit other terror attacks. As a matter of fact Congress, including both Republicans and Democrats were briefed about the use of tough questioning. This was a huge misstep by the Obama adminstration, releasing the memos. By the time this is over, Bush will appear to be a hero.

4. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Fortunately not, there are enough of us that object to using torture.

We shall see how it unfolds. Amazing stuff.

5. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    It's not torture when you have medical personnel on hand to prevent harm to the terror suspects. This will definitely harm Obama's presidency.

6. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    We don't need to do all that to torture Americans, when somebody gets out of line these days we just zap them with a taser. We even taser prisoners when they get out of line. ItÂ’s our own little form of torture neatly packaged as a non-lethal form of law enforcement.

"As a matter of fact Congress, including both Republicans and Democrats were briefed about the use of tough questioning." Both political parties knew about it: http://www.usmessageboard.com/1175930-post100.html

7. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Bullshit.

8. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    How intellectual of you. How so?

9. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The fact that a doctor is there does not make something not torture. It's not uncommon to have doctors present because interrogators don't want the guy to die, that defeats the purpose.

10. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Permanent injury wouldn't necessarily hurt ascertaining information though. The doctors were there to prevent death and permanent injury....