Budget Cancelled

Whose administration was in charge when the economic crisis began? Who bailed out the banks and wall street? Who dispursed the first round of TARP money?

Someone answer those questions please.

Which party voted against TARP when it was first proposed?

This is not about blame, despite what you think, it is about people doing the jobs they were elected to do, like pass a budget.

When I make a post that deals with something like this, I do it because I know the post is factual. I thought the ad was the best way to open discussion, and maybe I was hoping to catch someone trying to say it wasn't true. Not sure about that one, but it is always nice when it happens.

"Commander Modbert, I'm picking up something in this sector."

1240264797347.gif

Though thanks for admitting you had no intention of an honest discussion really, really more so to play gotcha games.

As for your own link:

Dems won?t pass budget in 2010 - TheHill.com

The House has never failed to pass an annual budget resolution since the current budget rules were put into place in 1974. Hoyer this spring noted that the GOP-led Congress didn’t pass a final resolution in 1998, 2004 and 2006

This is not about blame, despite what you think, it is about people doing the jobs they were elected to do, like pass a budget.

Sure it's not about blame. Which is why you'll gladly be voting Republican in the Fall despite it is largely thanks to them that we're in this mess now.

When I make a post that deals with something like this, I do it because I know the post is factual. I thought the ad was the best way to open discussion, and maybe I was hoping to catch someone trying to say it wasn't true. Not sure about that one, but it is always nice when it happens.

"Commander Modbert, I'm picking up something in this sector."

1240264797347.gif

Though thanks for admitting you had no intention of an honest discussion really, really more so to play gotcha games.

As for your own link:

The House has never failed to pass an annual budget resolution since the current budget rules were put into place in 1974. Hoyer this spring noted that the GOP-led Congress didn’t pass a final resolution in 1998, 2004 and 2006

What's your point?

I am trying to have an honest discussion. An intent to have an honest discussion does not preclude the possibility of sand bagging people who shouldn't be talking about the subject because they are uninformed. Once people know that I actually have facts at my disposal they would be more likely to fact check for themselves and learn things.

As for the part about the Republicans doing the same thing in the past, so what? Unless you can point to anywhere where I defended them for doing so it serves no purpose to bring that up, as it does not justify the Democrats also shirking their responsibility. That part probably escapes you because you think someone else being bad excuses your guys, but I don't. Like I said earlier, this is not about assigning blame, it is about people doing their jobs. But keep pointing out that Republicans did it first.

He started it! Nuh-uh! He Did! It does seem to be about the level of debate you usually use around here, so it is at least consistent. Keep up the childish debate, just don't be to upset when the adults say words that you don't understand.

Presidents don't make budgets. Congress does. Glad the President has a budget. What is he spending on groceries?

This is true, but it's more of an indication that there will be a 2011 budget (why the devil wouldn't there? No one in politics is a big enough idiot to not know the country can't run without any cash), than of the opposite. The only indication we have that there won't be is a paid ad meant to make one side look good, and the other bad. And that's hardly indicative or credible evidence to begin with.

The only reason it is the only eveidence you have is because you have not looked for any other evidence. Or maybe you are ignoring it.

House Democrats will not pass a budget blueprint in 2010, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) will confirm in a speech on Tuesday.

“It isn’t possible to debate and pass a realistic, long-term budget until we’ve considered the bipartisan commission’s deficit-reduction plan, which is expected in December,” according to Hoyer’s prepared remarks that were provided to The Hill.

The House will put forth a “budget enforcement resolution” rather than a budget blueprint that looks beyond next year and calculates five or 10 years’ worth of deficit figures.

So, let's look at this article you linked:

In the scheduled address to the progressive think tank The Third Way, Hoyer will acknowledge that the lower chamber will do things differently this election year.

“It isn’t possible to debate and pass a realistic, long-term budget until we’ve considered the bipartisan commission’s deficit-reduction plan, which is expected in December,” according to Hoyer’s prepared remarks that were provided to The Hill.

The House has never failed to pass an annual budget resolution since the current budget rules were put into place in 1974. Hoyer this spring noted that the GOP-led Congress didn’t pass a final resolution in 1998, 2004 and 2006.

The House will put forth a “budget enforcement resolution” rather than a budget blueprint that looks beyond next year and calculates five or 10 years’ worth of deficit figures.

The House’s “enforcement” — or deeming — resolution will endorse the goals of the president’s fiscal commission and reiterate the commitment to vote on its recommendations after the midterm elections. And it will also set limits on discretionary spending “that require further cuts below the president’s budget,” according to the speech.

“This budget enforcement resolution will enforce fiscal discipline in the near term while the fiscal commission works on a long-term plan to get our country back to fiscal health,” Hoyer’s remarks state.

Gee, they've just dropped all notion of making a budget, eh? It sounds like it'll take longer than usual, as they are doing things differently than usually to an effort to me more fiscally sound. Although the budget Obama proposed leaves us over 1.2 trillion in deficit, it sounds like they're taking more steps to rein in spending.

At any rate, no one's dropped the notion of not having a budget.

Sure it's not about blame. Which is why you'll gladly be voting Republican in the Fall despite it is largely thanks to them that we're in this mess now.

Why don't you pull up my voting records to prove that you know what you are talking about when you discuss my affiliation.

That's right, you can't, because the only thing you know about me is nothing.

Why don't you pull up my voting records to prove that you know what you are talking about when you discuss my affiliation.

Well I obviously can't really trust what you'll tell me about your voting record. But I'm willing to bet good money on a good day you voted for Dubya least once, probably McCain, and dunno if you were old enough going back further.

Fact is, you didn't deny you would be voting GOP.

What's your point?

I am trying to have an honest discussion. An intent to have an honest discussion does not preclude the possibility of sand bagging people who shouldn't be talking about the subject because they are uninformed. Once people know that I actually have facts at my disposal they would be more likely to fact check for themselves and learn things.

As for the part about the Republicans doing the same thing in the past, so what? Unless you can point to anywhere where I defended them for doing so it serves no purpose to bring that up, as it does not justify the Democrats also shirking their responsibility. That part probably escapes you because you think someone else being bad excuses your guys, but I don't. Like I said earlier, this is not about assigning blame, it is about people doing their jobs. But keep pointing out that Republicans did it first.

He started it! Nuh-uh! He Did! It does seem to be about the level of debate you usually use around here, so it is at least consistent. Keep up the childish debate, just don't be to upset when the adults say words that you don't understand.

Honest discussions don't involve posting a youtube video from the Republicans who dare call themselves fiscal conservatives.

Honest people don't try to bait others, instead posting actual news sources in the first place.

You wave off the Republicans past spending like sailors because you are one. You clearly use them as a news source already for sure. Your own thread confirmed that. You're defending them in that post by saying so what. You seem to not realize or maybe you do and don't care that by voting Republican this fall, you'll just continue the cycle.

I'd recommend voting third party, but I bet you would think that's wasting a vote.

The reason I point out the Republcians did it as well by the way is because you posted a video from their own youtube page. If you don't want me bringing up Republicans, stop being their propaganda tool.

Well I obviously can't really trust what you'll tell me about your voting record. But I'm willing to bet good money on a good day you voted for Dubya least once, probably McCain, and dunno if you were old enough going back further.

Trust me little one, I am more than old enough to have voted for Carter. Why don't you do some more assuming about my voting record based on that?

...am I the only one who finds it incredibly ironic that this clip sponsored by House republicans is championing fiscal conservatism, a scant few years after being ousted after several years of increasing the budget in a Congress where they had the majority?

Should I really believe them, and blame Obama and the Democrats when neither party seems to actually practice what they preach?

Sure Republicans got out of control with spending, but remember this, Every single Budget ever proposed by a sitting Republican president(since Reagan) with a Democrat congress, was increased significantly by democrats, Including the last 2 Bush proposed.

Don't you remember Pelosi screaming about how Bush was shortchanging this and that and how they were not going to pass this budget before fully funding everything, and they then increased the budget by nearly 300 Billion and Bush ran what was at the time the worst deficit ever at 450 Billion.

Of course the Dems ran around screaming about Bushes spending, when over half that deficit was do to their adding to it before passing it.

Yes I know Bush signed it, but then what is he to do? Veto it and send another one back so they can do it again?

now that said, please do not think I am letting the Republicans off the hook here, They are full of shit too. They are only saying things about Fiscal Responsibility now because it is good politics, and I know that. What that means is we have to never let up letting them all know it is good politics to be fiscally responsible. By voted out people who consistently vote for deficit spending, regardless of party.

As far as who you should blame right now Hell yes you can blame the Democrats It has not been Republicans spending all this money for the last 18 Months, and for the 2 years before that, as I said the Dems increased Both budgets Bush passed, and spent Tons of money off budget as well.

so for nearly 4 years now the source of reckless spending has been a democrat congress with some help from Bush. and in the last 18 Month the amount we have spent and committed to spending is astronomical compared to any other period of the same time EVER!! For 6 years under Bush when he had a republican Congress with a tiny Majority with a large Democrat minority that was helping spend the money, we heard Democrats rail about Bushes Spending. Then they win Both houses of congress and proceed to spend even more, and increase Both Budgets Bush sends then, and you are not sure if you should blame Democrats at all or not?

Please!

Last edited:
What's your point?

Honest discussions don't involve posting a youtube video from the Republicans who dare call themselves fiscal conservatives.

Honest people don't try to bait others, instead posting actual news sources in the first place.

You wave off the Republicans past spending like sailors because you are one. You clearly use them as a news source already for sure. Your own thread confirmed that. You're defending them in that post by saying so what. You seem to not realize or maybe you do and don't care that by voting Republican this fall, you'll just continue the cycle.

I'd recommend voting third party, but I bet you would think that's wasting a vote.

The reason I point out the Republcians did it as well by the way is because you posted a video from their own youtube page. If you don't want me bringing up Republicans, stop being their propaganda tool.

They are politicians, they always lie, it is a fundamental requirement of being one. Get over it and stop thinking one side is better that the other one, it ain't true.

Honest people who bait people admit it, dishonest ones deny it. Which one did I do?

If I had said the Republicans were paragons of virtue you might have a reason to point out they did it first. As it is it just makes you sound like a child who got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and is blaming the neighbor who got one first. Wrong is wrong, and the only appropriate response to someone being wrong is condemning them. Kinda like the teacher who sent the kid out of the class for wearing a tee she didn't like, and the vice principle who did it to the boys who were wearing the other county's flag.

Wrong is wrong.

Trust me little one, I am more than old enough to have voted for Carter. Why don't you do some more assuming about my voting record based on that?

You posted a paid Republican ad to start the thread, and didn't post anything else substantial until a few pages in. This doesn't look that great on you if you don't want to be associated with them.

...am I the only one who finds it incredibly ironic that this clip sponsored by House republicans is championing fiscal conservatism, a scant few years after being ousted after several years of increasing the budget in a Congress where they had the majority?

Should I really believe them, and blame Obama and the Democrats when neither party seems to actually practice what they preach?

Sure Republicans got out of control with spending, but remember this, Every single Budget ever proposed by a sitting Republican president(since Reagan) with a Democrat congress, was increased significantly by democrats, Including the last 2 Bush proposed.

Don't you remember Pelosi screaming about how Bush was shortchanging this and that and how they were not going to pass this budget before fully funding everything, and they then increased the budget by nearly 300 Billion and Bush ran what was at the time the worst deficit ever at 450 Billion.

Of course the Dems ran around screaming about Bushes spending, when over half that deficit was do to their adding to it before passing it.

Yes I know Bush signed it, but then what is he to do? Veto it and send another one back so they can do it again?

now that said, please do not think I am letting the Republicans off the hook here, They are full of shit too. They are only saying things about Fiscal Responsibility now because it is good politics, and I know that. What that means is we have to never let up letting them all know it is good politics to be fiscally responsible. By voted out people who consistently vote for deficit spending, regardless of party.

That is exactly what he should do.

As far as who you should blame right now Hell yes you can blame the Democrats It has not been Republicans spending all this money for the last 18 Months, and for the 2 years before that, as I said the Dems increased Both budgets Bush passed, and spent Tons of money off budget as well.

so for nearly 4 years now the source of reckless spending has been a democrat congress with some help from Bush. and in the last 18 Month the amount we have spent and committed to spending is astronomical compared to any other period of the same time EVER!!

Yeah, both parties spending like drunken monkeys in Vegas was the point of that post of mine. Hence the question why should I believe the Republican ad when both parties can't practice what they preach?

And yeah, Bush (and now Obama) could continue to veto it until it was reasonable. The buck stops there, as Truman said.

Budgets need to be passed in a timely manner or things shut down. I suppose Bush could have kept sending them back and demanding they remove the added spending. So for not doing that he deserves a share of the blame for the added amount, but that does not let the Dems of the hook for it by any means.

so for nearly 4 years now the source of reckless spending has been a democrat congress with some help from Bush. and in the last 18 Month the amount we have spent and committed to spending is astronomical compared to any other period of the same time EVER!!

Yeah, both parties spending like drunken monkeys in Vegas was the point of that post of mine. Hence the question why should I believe the Republican ad when both parties can't practice what they preach?

And yeah, Bush (and now Obama) could continue to veto it until it was reasonable. The buck stops there, as Truman said.

You should not believe the Republican add, but I would believe my own Eyes, Who do you see spending right now? and Who has spent the Most money Ever in 18 months in this Nations History? Adding over 2 Trillion in New Debt in 1 year alone? That was not republicans.

As I said the largest Deficit Bush Ran was 450 Billion, and much of that was added by the Dem congress? so I am not seeing the comparison when you say they both spend like that.

nobody has ever spent like the Dems have been since they took over congress, and for what, a so called stimulus plan and Omnibus, A health care plan that is not universal but is definitely expensive, and the 2 largest budgets in US history and the Economy still sucks ass.

Time to seriously look at some 3rd party choices maybe I dont know, cause this shit has got to stop. NOW!

Last edited:

That is the only real power the Executive Branch has in this government, and so few Presidents wield it effectively. I think most people would fall in behind any president who would be willing to stand up to Congress and fight them when it is needed.

You posted a paid Republican ad to start the thread, and didn't post anything else substantial until a few pages in. This doesn't look that great on you if you don't want to be associated with them.

What can I say? I don't care what people think about me. I am one of the few people I know of who can say that and mean it.

The thing is, I had read about it for at least a week before I posted the video, and, like I said, the video seemed like a good way to start the discussion. The fact that it took a few pages before anyone actually started debating the merits of my post is hardly my fault, I thought it was just going to be a bunch of people mocking the Dems. I had honestly thought no one was going to be serious about it.

Budgets need to be passed in a timely manner or things shut down. I suppose Bush could have kept sending them back and demanding they remove the added spending. So for not doing that he deserves a share of the blame for the added amount, but that does not let the Dems of the hook for it by any means.

They can pass emergency funding measures to keep things open, so the budget is not that critical.

The fact that it took a few pages before anyone actually started debating the merits of my post is hardly my fault, I thought it was just going to be a bunch of people mocking the Dems. I had honestly thought no one was going to be serious about it.

Honest discussion this does not make says Yoda.

Forum List

Back