anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
I am a Christian, but what is fair, I think we must admit, that Buddhism is the most pragmatic of all religions. Buddhism is rarely concerned with theories that need proving, Buddhism addresses the core of the human problem, or even the general problem, of why everything that exists also suffers.

In the Bible, this is only discussed in Romans, where it is stated that the entire universe is groaning as it is being brought out of its decay into the glorious light of the Lord.

Buddhism states this in such a way, that it explains that whenever we think we would be causing no damage, that's when we cause the greatest damage.

So here is the question. Is there survival without wanting to cause damage? Even amongst monkeys, individuals derive strength out of hurting one that has no protection. People most certainly feel empowered by bullying or killing another person who proves to stand alone.

So what is taking us out of the decay and into the glory? How can we skip causing damage? Prayer seems to be the answer, both in Christian and Buddhist terms, because it is prayer that strengthens the place of anything, and thus praying for the defenseless acts as the equalizing force, that moves everything towards the glory.

Discuss.

And on a side note, modern history is discriminative, the opposite of equalizing. Only the pre reformation medieval church was equalizing. The next equalizer, the Soviet revolution turned discriminative the second day of its run. So, do we have to kill to equalize? Or do we get killed if we equalize?

I am a Christian, but what is fair, I think we must admit, that Buddhism is the most pragmatic of all religions. Buddhism is rarely concerned with theories that need proving, Buddhism addresses the core of the human problem, or even the general problem, of why everything that exists also suffers.

In the Bible, this is only discussed in Romans, where it is stated that the entire universe is groaning as it is being brought out of its decay into the glorious light of the Lord.

Buddhism states this in such a way, that it explains that whenever we think we would be causing no damage, that's when we cause the greatest damage.

So here is the question. Is there survival without wanting to cause damage? Even amongst monkeys, individuals derive strength out of hurting one that has no protection. People most certainly feel empowered by bullying or killing another person who proves to stand alone.

So what is taking us out of the decay and into the glory? How can we skip causing damage? Prayer seems to be the answer, both in Christian and Buddhist terms, because it is prayer that strengthens the place of anything, and thus praying for the defenseless acts as the equalizing force, that moves everything towards the glory.

Discuss.

And on a side note, modern history is discriminative, the opposite of equalizing. Only the pre reformation medieval church was equalizing. The next equalizer, the Soviet revolution turned discriminative the second day of its run. So, do we have to kill to equalize? Or do we get killed if we equalize?

Buddhist don't have to believe any god. It is a philosophy rather than a religion.

Discuss.

Buddhist don't have to believe any god. It is a philosophy rather than a religion.

True. And amazingly convergent with Christianity in this part subject.

I don't know much about Buddhism. I think they believe in an endless cycle of death and rebirth depending on your karma. Doesn't seem like theres any real peace in it.
Some Buddhist sayings I can relate to though.

Discuss.

The debate should stop with this guy/girl.

Discuss.

1. Buddha taught neither to seek "extreme pleasure" or "extreme suffering."

That's not what is meant by perfection. If you 'go to extremes' to AVOID
suffering, that's still conditional attachment to a projected result, so it's still unnatural suffering involved.
The point is to be at peace with nature and life as it comes.

In life, since things are not perfect, the point is to take things in moderation,
and balance/harmony. For each thing that has bad consequences and effects,
there is also GOOD that comes of it. So it works out.

if you read through the precepts and principles in Buddhism,
these are not presented as "absolute" rules to be etched in stone
and "indoctrinated" as religious dogma. This is more like practical
wisdom in life, to AVOID contributing to undue suffering. It is not about AVOIDING
suffering all together, because as Buddha saw, all the stages in life involved
suffering, from birth to sickness and old age and death.
We don't try to AVOID suffering that comes with life,
but accept and work with what occurs, and still be at peace with it.
So we are not ATTACHED to an outcome to such an extreme that we defeat our own purpose.

2. as for Buddhism and Christianity:
I would organize the tribes that are under Scriptural authority
of the church as Christians, Jews, Muslims and other
believers in God's authority through religious scriptures,
such as given in the Torah, Bible and Quran.

And then organize the "secular gentiles" under natural laws
of science and civil govt as:
Buddhists, atheists agnostics and other nontheists,
Constitutionalists, secular humanists/social moralists, etc.

These "two folds of the one flock"
are designed to COMPLEMENT each other,
to check and balance "faith with reason"
so that the truth is established where these
two paths AGREE.

These are ideally IN HARMONY not in conflict.

These two paths, of the
* believers under divine faith-based authority and scriptures
* and gentiles under secular laws/science, using reason and experience
are both means to seeking "truth, justice and peace" in local relations,
in global society, and for collective humanity.

In Buddhism the two principles that all the teachings are based on are
* Wisdom
* Compassion

In Christianity the two great commandments are
* to love GOD with all our heart mind and soul
* to love our neighbor as ourselves.

So you can see the parallel between the two.
One of the names of God IS Truth or "Wisdom."
So Buddhism in seeking Wisdom is one way
of seeking the Kingdom of God.

And to love our neighbors as ourselves
is to exercise "Compassion."

So even though Buddhism teaches similar
universal principles using SECULAR TERMS
these still represent what Christianity
teaches using personified religious symbols and terms.

The principles underneath are universal
and describe the same source.

But the "Language" is different,
between explaining in plain secular terms to the gentile
while religious followers use symbolic terms in their religion.

Discuss.

It has been described as spiritual education. You can practice Buddhism *along with* any other belief or affiliation you may have. It does not conflict with anything out there, but teaches people how to meditate on their awareness, mindfulness and understanding of whatever it is they are experiencing in life, or believe about it.

It's basically about checking your ego at the door, watching for biases and attachments, which cause conflicts and suffering; whereas learning to identify these sources of bias and letting go enables us to find peace of mind, even in the midst of struggle and difficulties in life. Once you have a clear mind, then you can address anything else more effectively, regardless what your beliefs or denomination is religiously or politically. Our minds and perceptions go through a similar process of reaching mature development .

Buddhism focuses on the mind, which is the link between the spiritual and physical levels of life and reality.

I am a Christian, but what is fair, I think we must admit, that Buddhism is the most pragmatic of all religions. ...

Did you really assume everyone reading would accept this premise?
Actually Unkotare anyone who understands the Buddhist approach would see irony or humor in what you say. Because Buddhism is about letting go of assumptions, and NOT "accepting" and repeating things on blind faith. Nobody should believe or accept without thorough investigation.

In fact I would say the best approach to understanding God is the letting go that Buddhism teaches. Whatever is the default, whatever is left after all assumptions are thrown out for being biased, the only thing that survives and prevails is universal truth.

Even the original Buddha only found truth by letting go and giving up all efforts and striving. He finally sat still and let truth come to him.

More people come to understanding of God by giving up when nothing else is working anyway.

The best way I know is that approach which Buddhism was based on.

The best way I know to teach Christianity and respect for others as oneself is by trying to practice Constitutionalism and equal protections and due process of law for Everyone . if you can do that, that is the meaning of restoring relations and saving humanity in Christ Jesus. This can best be explained and demonstrated by example. People need to see real life application of "equal justice under law" to get what is meant by Jesus being Lord of all. It means universal laws of justice governing all people as equals.

As for the Holy Spirit, the spiritual healing and power of grace to restore ppl lives and relations, I find this is best demonstrated to be real by the practice of spiritual healing and deliverance taught in Christinity. Spiritual healing can even be documented by science, so it can be explained to secular nontheists in very real empirical terms.

That's how I would teach the meaning of all three levels of the trinity.

Buddhism complements Christianity, and Constitutional principles serve also to help humanity realize the path to maturity on all levels, from spiritual to psychological, social and political.

Forum List

Back