Brown's win could help the Democrats

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Brown's win could help the Democrats. Now, instead of trying to pass watered down legislation to get a 60 vote majority in the Senate, they should just do what George Bush did...use reconciliation to pass what they want.

No more negotiating with scumbags like Nelson and Liebermann. Just pass what is best for the country instead of what will avoid a filabuster.

And while you are at it, get rid of the filabuster. It is incredibly undemocratic.

Brown's win could help the Democrats. Now, instead of trying to pass watered down legislation to get a 60 vote majority in the Senate, they should just do what George Bush did...use reconciliation to pass what they want.
ROFLMAO ! obviously you have no understanding of what senatorial reconciliation entails........ or do you think a bill with nothing but taxes increases and medicare cuts in it is going to make the American People happy?

Since you're unaware of how it works allow me to enlighten you, the process of reconciliation is subject to points of order challenges for anything which is not related to budget or taxation and to overcome a point of order requires 60 VOTES.

Thanks for playing ....

Kind of like saying the Indian Ocean Tsumani helped washed the streets of Sumatra

No more negotiating with scumbags like Nelson and Liebermann. Just pass what is best for the country instead of what will avoid a filabuster.

And while you are at it, get rid of the filabuster. It is incredibly undemocratic.
Chimp never voted, nor did the GoP use reconcilation to 'pass what they wanted.'

Chris, this is exactly what I mean when I say you arent connected with reality. You really need to understand things before you start talking to them. I am not trying to be mean or harsh with you, just trying to help you argue better.

My God... You are one Simple Son-of-a-Bitch... :rofl:

:)

peace...

Chimp never voted, nor did the GoP use reconcilation to 'pass what they wanted.'

My guess will be that you won't admit you are wrong....

Think Progress GOP Senators Who Used Budget Reconciliation To Pass Bush Agenda Items Now Calling It ‘Chicago Style Politics’

Bond appears to be parroting his colleague Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH), who said any use of budget reconciliation by President Obama would be “regarded as an act of violence” against Republicans, and likened it to “running over the minority, putting them in cement and throwing them in the Chicago River.” Other GOP senators have chimed in against reconciliation, with Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) calling it a “purely partisan exercise” and Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) saying it “would be a mess.”

Despite their howls against Obama, Republicans employed the same procedure to pass major Bush agenda items (which were supported by all four aforementioned Senators):

– The 2001 Bush Tax Cuts [HR 1836, 3/26/01]
– The 2003 Bush Tax Cuts [HR 2, 3/23/03]
– Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 [HR 4297, 5/11/06]
– The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 [H. Con Res. 95, 12/21/05]

As ThinkProgress has noted, Gregg defended using the reconciliation procedure to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for domestic drilling in 2005, arguing, “The president asked for it, and we’re trying to do what the president asked for.” Evidently, Gregg has lost the same sense of patriotic duty.

While Republicans seem to be experiencing a particular form of political amnesia from the Bush years, they ought to be reminded that budget reconciliation has been used by several other presidents, including Clinton and Reagan. In fact, Republicans — with Bond and Gregg among the leaders of the charge — were instrumental in pushing through key provisions of their signature legislative agenda, the Contract with America, using budget reconciliation.

A list of instances where reconciliation was implemented:
Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1980
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981
Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1982
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1983
Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1989
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993
Balanced Budget Act of 1995 (vetoed)
Personal Responsibility and Budget Reconciliation Act of 1996
Balanced Budget Act of 1997
Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997
Taxpayer Refund and Relief Act of 1999 (vetoed)
Marriage Tax Relief Act of 2000 (vetoed)
Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001
Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003
The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005
Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005

peace...

When faced with the truth the right will do one of two things.

Change the subject.

Personal insults.

You have managed to do both in one post.

peace...

Change the subject.

Personal insults.

How did I Change the Subject?... MeThinks you Try REALLY Hard to be Wrong. :lol:

As for my Observation of you...

peace...

peace...

Change the subject.

Personal insults.

How did I Change the Subject?... MeThinks you Try REALLY Hard to be Wrong. :lol:

peace...

The subject was reconciliation.

Not my mother.

Family is off limits by the way, gets you in trouble with the mods.

Change the subject.

Personal insults.

peace...

The subject was reconciliation.

Not my mother.

Family is off limits by the way, gets you in trouble with the mods.

:rofl: The Fact that you took that as an Insult Towards your Mother FURTHER Illustrates my Observation... Good Lord, you are Dumb.

As for Reconciliation... An Attempt to Use it to Pass the Current Healthcare Bill would be Unprecedented...

If you Understood the Substance of the Prior Uses, you would Understand the Distinction.

peace...

The best part about this Thread is, the FACT that Brown's Win or Loss would Play NO Role in Attempting Reconciliation...

Your Premise is Silly on it's Face, and Flawed so Badly that you should be Ashamed of yourself for Not Researching a little First.

peace...

Forget that, let's go a step further.

NUCLEAR OPTION!

LOL, Reconciliation is the "Nuclear Option" with respect to the Senate, or were you referring to something else?

No, it's not.

Reconciliation is when the Senate creates a limited legislation, pertaining to the budget, that only requires a majority vote.

The "Nuclear Option" is to change the rules of the Senate entirely (which only requires a majority vote) to do away with the 60 vote requirement to override a filibuster, buy essentially declaring the filibuster itself unconstitutional.

There's a big difference. Here, check it out:

Nuclear option - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great plan!!! Completely alienate the entire electorate with the stroke of a pen!!!

Now you know why your sitting in a psychiatric hospital instead of Washington D.C.

There's that talking point again.

Meanwhile the "Nuclear Option" has been brought up many times throughout the last 50 years without any sign of any "electorate alienation".

In fact, one of the times it was brought up, it caused the number of members needed to override a filibuster to go down from 67 to 60.

Maybe if the Democrats actually manage to get something done, they'll pick up some of that lost popularity.

Forget that, let's go a step further.

NUCLEAR OPTION!

LOL, Reconciliation is the "Nuclear Option" with respect to the Senate, or were you referring to something else?

No, it's not.

Reconciliation is when the Senate creates a limited legislation, pertaining to the budget, that only requires a majority vote.

The "Nuclear Option" is to change the rules of the Senate entirely (which only requires a majority vote) to do away with the 60 vote requirement to override a filibuster, buy essentially declaring the filibuster itself unconstitutional.

There's a big difference. Here, check it out:

Nuclear option - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After you lose the Senate it will work against you....think about that.

Great plan!!! Completely alienate the entire electorate with the stroke of a pen!!!

Now you know why your sitting in a psychiatric hospital instead of Washington D.C.

There's that talking point again.

Meanwhile the "Nuclear Option" has been brought up many times throughout the last 50 years without any sign of any "electorate alienation".
In fact, one of the times it was brought up, it caused the number of members needed to override a filibuster to go down from 67 to 60.

Maybe if the Democrats actually manage to get something done, they'll pick up some of that lost popularity.

Uhhhhhhhh......you think that might be due to it NOT passing? Don't take away the very tools you may need to check power when your Democrats lose the Senate.

Forum List

Back