Brown's win could help the Democrats

After you lose the Senate it will work against you....think about that.

I would rather that then have a half-century of getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING DONE before us, as the partisanship gets more and more bitter, leaving the country to go down the tubes.

Personally, I like to see people pass legislation, rather than block it.

Who knows? Maybe even some of the Republican legislation that's sure to come at some point will prove to be fruitful.

Forget that, let's go a step further.

NUCLEAR OPTION!

LOL, Reconciliation is the "Nuclear Option" with respect to the Senate, or were you referring to something else?

No, it's not.

Reconciliation is when the Senate creates a limited legislation, pertaining to the budget, that only requires a majority vote.

The "Nuclear Option" is to change the rules of the Senate entirely (which only requires a majority vote) to do away with the 60 vote requirement to override a filibuster, buy essentially declaring the filibuster itself unconstitutional.

There's a big difference. Here, check it out:

Nuclear option - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you're referring to doesn't exist in the rules of the Senate thus reconciliation has become synonymous with "the nuclear option" and it is exactly what Durbin was referring to.

After all Durbin isn't stupid enough or crazy enough to suggest trying what your referring to with respect to the current Health Care Legislation.

Uhhhhhhhh......you think that might be due to it NOT passing? Don't take away the very tools you may need to check power when your Democrats lose the Senate.

It never passed because every time it was brought up, the other side backed down and compromised.

The reduction in the number of votes needed to overturn a veto was in fact a compromise between the 67 number and the 51 number.

What you're referring to doesn't exist in the rules of the Senate thus reconciliation has become synonymous with "the nuclear option" and it is exactly what Durbin was referring to.

After all Durbin isn't stupid enough or crazy enough to suggest trying what your referring to with respect to the current Health Care Legislation.

It doesn't need to exist in the rules of the Senate. The rules of the Senate can be changed with a majority vote if the challenge is made based on the constitutionality of the rule.

And "reconciliation" was never synonymous with "the nuclear option".

Unless FoxNews is making a serious effort at trying to re-define the term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconciliation_(United_States_Congress)

Last edited:
Brown's win could help the Democrats. Now, instead of trying to pass watered down legislation to get a 60 vote majority in the Senate, they should just do what George Bush did...use reconciliation to pass what they want.

No more negotiating with scumbags like Nelson and Liebermann. Just pass what is best for the country instead of what will avoid a filabuster.

And while you are at it, get rid of the filabuster. It is incredibly undemocratic.
Chimp never voted, nor did the GoP use reconcilation to 'pass what they wanted.'

No they didn't. A few members did discuss it a time or two in order to get perfectly qualified judges through the confirmation process and onto the bench, but they never went so far as to actually do that. They never even suggested it regarding a massive piece of legislation that would affect every American.

But don't you hope the Democrats are stupid enough to do that? A majority of people are mad enough about all the other underhanded stuff they've done to bypass the will of the people, if they did that, we might sweep most of the bums out of Washington come November.

No they didn't. A few members did discuss it a time or two in order to get perfectly qualified judges through the confirmation process and onto the bench, but they never went so far as to actually do that. They never even suggested it regarding a massive piece of legislation that would affect every American.

But don't you hope the Democrats are stupid enough to do that? A majority of people are mad enough about all the other underhanded stuff they've done to bypass the will of the people, if they did that, we might sweep most of the bums out of Washington come November.

They suggested using "The Nuclear Option" to stop the Democrats from Filibustering altogether, which would have changed future rules for all legislation, including any "massive pieces of legislation".

Which, as previously mentioned, is quite different from "reconciliation".

And it wasn't just "a few members" it was the party leadership threatening on behalf of the majority.

Last edited:

It doesn't need to exist in the rules of the Senate. The rules of the Senate can be changed with a majority vote if the challenge is made based on the constitutionality of the rule.

And "reconciliation" was never synonymous with "the nuclear option".

Unless FoxNews is making a serious effort at trying to re-define the term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconciliation_(United_States_Congress)

Apparently you haven't been paying attention, it's the Senate Democrats that have given reconciliation the "nuclear option" definition, and I'm aware of the avenues for changing the Senate Rules, I'm also aware that doing what you are proposing for this health care legislation would be tantamount to the Democrats taking over the Senate by force of arms.

It's an idiotic suggestion that not even the most deranged progressive politician in Congress would pursue unless they happen to be interested in getting lynched by the American People.

Uhhhhhhhh......you think that might be due to it NOT passing? Don't take away the very tools you may need to check power when your Democrats lose the Senate.

It never passed because every time it was brought up, the other side backed down and compromised.

The reduction in the number of votes needed to overturn a veto was in fact a compromise between the 67 number and the 51 number.

What you say is very true...however....right now the Democrats don't have a leg to stand on with the American people. If they try to do away with the filibuster I can guarantee you they will NOT hold power after the 2010 elections and will lose the WH in 2012 regardless of who runs against Obama.

The American people are tired of getting throatfucked by Congress.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention, it's the Senate Democrats that have given reconciliation the "nuclear option" definition, and I'm aware of the avenues for changing the Senate Rules, I'm also aware that doing what you are proposing for this health care legislation would be tantamount to the Democrats taking over the Senate by force of arms.

It's an idiotic suggestion that not even the most deranged progressive politician in Congress would pursue unless they happen to be interested in getting lynched by the American People.

1) please feel free to give us a specific quote where a Senate Democrat called "Reconciliation" a "Nuclear Option".

and

2) Then the 2005 Republican leadership must have been pretty damned deranged, since they specifically threatened the Nuclear option.

And strangely they didn't seem to suffer any consequences at all due to those actions.

2) Then the 2005 Republican leadership must have been pretty damned deranged, since they specifically
threatened the Nuclear option.

And strangely they didn't seem to suffer any consequences at all due to those actions

See 2006 election results. :lol:

What you say is very true...however....right now the Democrats don't have a leg to stand on with the American people. If they try to do away with the filibuster I can guarantee you they will NOT hold power after the 2010 elections and will lose the WH in 2012 regardless of who runs against Obama.

Your definition of "the American People", as usual, being the section of the population that belongs to the "Tea Party".

One of the main reasons, in reality, why the legislation at hand is so unpopular, is that many people on the left are very unhappy because they feel too many compromises were made, and that the bill DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH.

Like the Howard Dean wing of the Democratic party for instance, who are generally PISSED with this bill.

2) Then the 2005 Republican leadership must have been pretty damned deranged, since they specifically
threatened the Nuclear option.

And strangely they didn't seem to suffer any consequences at all due to those actions

See 2006 election results. :lol:

Which had everything to do with the Iraq War, Katrina, and several Republican sex scandals, and NOTHING to do with the "Nuclear Option".

I don't even remember the "Nuclear Option" thing being mentioned even once in that entire election season.

Last edited:

Your definition of "the American People", as usual, being the section of the population that belongs to the "Tea Party".

One of the main reasons, in reality, why the legislation at hand is so unpopular, is that many people on the left are very unhappy because they feel too many compromises were made, and that the bill DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH.

Like the Howard Dean wing of the Democratic party for instance, who are generally PISSED with this bill.

and you wonder why your party lost Ted Kennedy's seat to the Republicans....:lol:

You think my definition of Americans only apply to Tea Party participants? :rofl: Better check and see who gave Senator Scott Brown his victory and then get back to me.

As far as that disgusting piece of crap bribery package advocated AND FULLY SUPPORTED BY ALL 60 DEMOCRAT SENATORS...we will let the AMERICAN PEOPLE decide what they will do about that.:clap2:

I dont really care what your 15% of the population thinking it doenst go far enough when the rest want the monstrousity shut down and actually want teh legislators to *gasp* read and write their own bills.

1) please feel free to give us a specific quote where a Senate Democrat called "Reconciliation" a "Nuclear Option".
My bad since I assumed that when Harry Reid said this when asked by Tom Daschle about the possibility of a (Frist style) nuclear option under his leadership he said .....

"As long as I am the leader, the answer is no. I think we should just forget that. That is a black chapter in the history of the Senate. I hope we never, ever get to that again. I really do believe it will ruin our country."

The only "nuclear option" left open to Senator Reid was reconciliation, since then the media has picked up the ball and run with it often referring to reconciliation as the "nuclear option" without any objections (that I've ever seen) from Congressional Democrats, it is after all a rather generic term.

But your point is well taken, I haven't heard Harry Reid specifically refer to reconciliation as the "Nuclear Option" (not that he hasn't I've just never heard it).

2) Then the 2005 Republican leadership must have been pretty damned deranged, since they specifically threatened the Nuclear option.
Yes the 2005 Republican leadership WAS deranged, however the instance in question was a judicial nomination not anything even approaching the magnitude current health care legislation AND they didn't go through with it, did they?

And strangely they didn't seem to suffer any consequences at all due to those actions.
Were you hiding in a cave in November 2006 or something?

Brown's win could help the Democrats. Now, instead of trying to pass watered down legislation to get a 60 vote majority in the Senate, they should just do what George Bush did...use reconciliation to pass what they want.

No more negotiating with scumbags like Nelson and Liebermann. Just pass what is best for the country instead of what will avoid a filabuster.

And while you are at it, get rid of the filabuster. It is incredibly undemocratic.
Yes, the cons haven't had 60 votes since 1923, but they pushed through all kinds of stuff.

this is why i wont vote in the presidential election most likely...again.... (sigh)

Glad obama stated he doesnt want a vote on healthcare before Brown is seated though. I would have been incredibly upset if they did so.

That is exactly it.

There are so many cost savings associated with national health insurance done right.

Every other industrialized nation has it, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare. And they don't have medical bankruptcies and "pre existing conditions." And their businesses are more competitive worldwide because they don't have to pay for employee's healthcare.

That is exactly it.

There are so many cost savings associated with national health insurance done right.

Every other industrialized nation has it, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare. And they don't have medical bankruptcies and "pre existing conditions." And their businesses are more competitive worldwide because they don't have to pay for employee's healthcare.

and they have massive government subsidies that prop up their healthcare system..is this what you want to see for America?

After you lose the Senate it will work against you....think about that.

I would rather that then have a half-century of getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING DONE before us, as the partisanship gets more and more bitter, leaving the country to go down the tubes.

Personally, I like to see people pass legislation, rather than block it.

Who knows? Maybe even some of the Republican legislation that's sure to come at some point will prove to be fruitful.

I would rather the Congress go on a long vacation and do absolutely nothing rather than pass legislation that a) is poorly conceived, poorly understoood, or intentionally deceptive and/or b) is clearly against the better interests of the people and/or c) most of the people don't want.

If you think the Congressional leftists are taking popularity hits by trying to pass destructive legislation, just wait to see the opinion of the people if they pull some unethical rule changes and actually do it.

The President already crashed the market this morning by threatening his own version of 'nuclear option' on the banks and financial institutions while addressing absolutely NONE of the issues that mostly created the mess in the first place. If Congress supports him in that turn out the lights. The party is over.

Forum List

Back