BREAKING NEWS--CA--Another Mass Shooting

Thanks, this seems more on point.

Your quotes are interesting food for thought, would that they were linked for their context but I'm wondering about the Patrick Henry quote on the end -- ? Whence comes it?

They come from multiple sources, the Federalist Papers, the writings of Patric Henry, letters written by Thomas Jefferson, etc.
I have them (the quotes) all saved from years ago when I was researching this same question, most of which I typed in from reading the documents I had in my library.

Right but I'm wondering what the context is; what dialogue preceded this statement, i.e. what point was Patrick Henry countering with this?

(Actually context is always crucial in quotes; the editorial made that point.)

June 9 1788 Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution

debates with several state Conventions on the adoption of the Federal Constitution

Virgina Ratifying Convention: June 9, 1788

Fact:
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

It always amuses me that the left will hang its hat on the dependent clause about "a well regulated militia" while ignoring the independent clause that says "the right of the People".

As the right of the People to keep and bear arms is the issue, it's an individual right, just as free speech and freedom of religion and the right to not testify against yourself are individual rights.

Fact:
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

It always amuses me that the left will hang its hat on the dependent clause about "a well regulated militia" while ignoring the independent clause that says "the right of the People".

Interesting idea - since that opening clause was considered a "prefatory" clause by SCOTUS in 2007; that is, a clause that simply sets up (acts as a preface to) the operative clause (see here).

However, that doesn't make much sense according to the rules of grammar, considering the placement of the comma. Now your position that it's a dependent clause makes more sense; it means that the operative clause ("the right of the people...") depends on the Militia clause. That is, the need for a militia makes what follows possible.

As a grammarian, I agree, I think you're right. "Prefatory" doesn't make much sense. :thup:

Yes. Really.

I cited my statement of fact; that you choose to act otherwise only serves to further prove your dishonesty.

Youdo not have to like the fact that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, but, to remian intellectually honest, you must accept it.

Why do you refuse to accept said fact?

What you did was excise out the part of my post that shows you to be a liar.

Here it is, restored:
Really.

Then who in the wide wide world of sports posted this, under your name:

Fact:

You'll notice what you claimed to have not said was exactly what you DID say.

Meanwhile you've called me a liar based on your own inability to find even a single post of mine calling for "gun control". I challenged you and you failed.

What level of dishonesty does it take to lie and then call the other party the liar -- liar?
:cuckoo:
One that is several levels above yours.

You.

Its not MY claim that The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home

Really.

Then who in the wide wide world of sports posted this, under your name:

Fact:

Heller only applied to DC; see McDonald v. Chicago for the broader application. Still does not go as far as gun lovers believe however.
Really.... and how far is that?

Fact:

As the right of the People to keep and bear arms is the issue, it's an individual right, just as free speech and freedom of religion and the right to not testify against yourself are individual rights.
Indeed -- and it drives the anti-gun loons absolutely bonkers.

Irony above in red...
You misspelled facts. Being a contentious asshole won't work.

Sorry, don't know how it is on Planet Ice but here, emotional value judgments are not "facts". Nor is ipse dixit.
Pointing out the fact that libbies are emotional creatures isn't emotional. You live in denial. All your posts are the online equivalent of bouncing around with a pogo stick up your ass, you never have anything substantive to say but you think it's smart to simply deny and insult. It isn't working.

Fact:

Interesting idea - since that opening clause was considered a "prefatory" clause by SCOTUS in 2007; that is, a clause that simply sets up (acts as a preface to) the operative clause (see here).

However, that doesn't make much sense according to the rules of grammar, considering the placement of the comma. Now your position that it's a dependent clause makes more sense; it means that the operative clause ("the right of the people...") depends on the Militia clause. That is, the need for a militia makes what follows possible.

As a grammarian, I agree, I think you're right. "Prefatory" doesn't make much sense. :thup:
Repeating this error doesn't make it right.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

How could a militia have it's right to be armed infringed? That makes no sense. There's no such thing as an unarmed militia. Militia are not called 'the people'. A bozo on the internet isn't going to rewrite our rights no matter how often they bounce around.

You misspelled facts. Being a contentious asshole won't work.

Sorry, don't know how it is on Planet Ice but here, emotional value judgments are not "facts". Nor is ipse dixit.
Pointing out the fact that libbies are emotional creatures isn't emotional. You live in denial. All your posts are the online equivalent of bouncing around with a pogo stick up your ass, you never have anything substantive to say but you think it's smart to simply deny and insult. It isn't working.

See what I mean? Apparently you can only post from emotion. Oh well.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

How could a militia have it's right to be armed infringed? That makes no sense. There's no such thing as an unarmed militia. Militia are not called 'the people'. A bozo on the internet isn't going to rewrite our rights no matter how often they bounce around.

That's not what the post says, is it? No wonder it makes no sense.

A "dependent clause" means it acts as the basis for the active clause; it provides a raison d'être. It qualifies the active clause; in this case, if a well regulated militia were NOT necessary to the security of a free state, then the active clause (the rest of the sentence) would have no reason to exist. It's conditional.

I'm just amused at the SCOTUS' use of "prefatory" here, a term that has no real meaning. Especially since none of the other amendments feel a need to present their basis or set conditions or preface themselves; they simply make absolute statements. Hunarcy here calls the same clause "dependent" rather than prefatory. I agree, grammatically it makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

A "dependent clause" means it acts as the basis for the active clause; it provides a raison d'être. It qualifies the active clause; in this case, if a well regulated militia were NOT necessary to the security of a free state, then the active clause (the rest of the sentence) would have no reason to exist. It's conditional.

I'm just amused at the SCOTUS' use of "prefatory" here, a term that has no real meaning. Especially since none of the other amendments feel a need to present their basis or set conditions or preface themselves; they simply make absolute statements. Hunarcy here calls the same clause "dependent" rather than prefatory. I agree, grammatically it makes a lot more sense.

but the the 2nd amendment was written because it is necessary to ensure the right of a free state. and that also answers the question as to whether or not this militia should be as well armed as the regular army, and the answer is yes. it can be expected to be able to be able to ensure a free state if it is as capable as it's enemies. restricting and limiting the rights of the citizens is a direct violation of the constitution

Where do you see emotion? Only an overly emotional creature sees emotion where there is none.

Do you consider James Madison to be knowledgeable on the matter?

The James Madison Research Library and Information Center

"The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison of Virginia, The Federalist, No. 46)

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country...." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed ― unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (The Federalist, No. 46 at 243- 244)

"Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation.... Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (The Federalist, No. 46)

"It is not certain that with this aid alone [possession of arms], they would not be able to shake off their yokes. But were the people to posses the additional advantages of local governments chosen by themselves, who could collect the national will, and direct the national force; and of officers appointed out of the militia, by these governments and attached both to them and to the militia, it may be affirmed with the greatest assurance, that the throne of every tyranny in Europe would be speedily overturned, in spite of the legions which surround it." (The Federalist, No. 46)

You should know by now that anti-gun loons simply refuse to believe that the 2nd protects an individual right not connected to the militia, regardless of the fact that it does.
As such, there's no sense in arguing with them.
:dunno:

Where do you see emotion? Only an overly emotional creature sees emotion where there is none.

Pogo is such a liar it doesn't matter what he says he sees, as he says whatever he thinks will get under your skin at the time, and half the time he just makes shit up.

Trolls like him are better on ignore. Then you can bypass all his shyte and respond if you feel the need to when you see how others quote him.

You should know by now that anti-gun loons simply refuse to believe that the 2nd protects an individual right not connected to the militia, regardless of the fact that it does.
As such, there's no sense in arguing with them.
:dunno:
Yes, I was aware long ago. They are lied to by the activists and they repeat the lies. If it isn't addressed at all it grows and we've seen plenty of examples in plenty of ways. Lies repeated enough become the truth for many.

Forum List

Back