Brazil School Shooting Highlights Incidents Around The World

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
I didn't see a South America board so I posted it here.

r-BRAZIL-SCHOOL-SHOOTING-large570.jpg

slide_19087_262243_large.jpg

A Brazilian gunman's deadly rampage at a Rio de Janeiro public school left 11 children dead and sent shockwaves throughout the South American nation, which had never seen a tragedy of this nature before.

As the Associated Press is reporting, at least other 18 people, mostly Tasso de Oliveira students, were injured and taken to local hospitals, where at least four remained in grave condition. The culprit is thought to be a former student, who also died.

It was a grisly reminder that schools, colleges and universities across the world have been the scenes of some horrific shootings in recent years. Not surprisingly, the case has drawn immediate comparisons to the 1999 Columbine High School tragedy, in which 13 people died, as well as similar shootings in Finland and Germany.

Brazil is one of the most dangerous countries in the world, even more so than America. The fact that their rampant, out of control murder rate involving firearms has spilled over into their schools really doesn't come as much of a surprise, to be honest. This isn't helped by the fact that, in general, Brazilian society has grown dangerously blasé about their cities being literally flooded with small arms.

Oh, and this kind of thing happens every night in Rio's favelas, and often includes higher fatalities.

Still, it's a sad story, nonetheless.

Unlike other school shooting this one was a adult shooting children, as the other school shooting were children shooting children.

I don't understand how this could have happened. Brazil has very strict gun laws.
Gun politics in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some 39,000 people died in 2003 due to gun-related injuries nationwide. In 2004, the number was 36,000. Although Brazil has 110 million fewer citizens than the United States, and more restrictive gun laws, there are 50% more gun deaths.

Those laws are all on paper, similar to how marijuana is supposedly illegal here in the US but you can get it almost anywhere, and how guns are supposedly illegal in Pakistan but motherfuckers are walking around with RPGS and AK-47's.:eek:

Brazil has been dangerous for ages.

I remember being told to walk in groups of at least four when I got off my boat in Recife.

The cops don't do anything, or patrol the streets.

At least at Festival they're all a bit drunk or stoned.

If you got to go: stay in an upmarket (and thereby secure) hotel.

Forum List

Back