Bobby Jindal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AmericanLiberal, Nov 11, 2003.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +545
    As a Republican (and a white middle-class male), I don't really see any particular needs of the balck demographic per se. What I see is needs of people in a particular socio-economic situation - who also happen to be black, though others in that same situation might be white, or Hispanic, or Indian.
    Is my perception wrong? I see a person first, and a race second. Is this not how others see the world? Is this not how blacks see the world? And what exactly are the specific needs of the black demographic?

2. X.P. Alidocious

X.P. Alidocious Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    But he's still thinking like a separationist. A black is nominated and he automatically starts thinking in terms of demographics!
    "Oh look, they're trying to go out and get the black vote!"

It's exactly that sort of line I'm against drawing. And it's just not possible that that black was nominated for his or her individual skills and character. No. Obviously the party wanted to appeal to a demographic.

Why do we do this? We don't need to. Instead of saying,
    "Well, this candidate doesn't support the policies 90% of
    the black population does." Why can't we just talk about
    the policies they support?

And who's figuring these things out anyway?
    Pollsters? The media? What business is it of theirs what race
    someone is? Why do we make polls that take race
    into consideration?

I am tired of division and tired of people who rely on
    race statistics. We should vote as constituents and
    stand united.

3. Aquarian

Aquarian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bry- ah, thanks :)

Jeff- I'm not sure what the particular needs of the black segment of the population needs, or indeed if they need anything that others in their socio-economic situations don't, but they do seem to be a bloc voting wise, much as union labor, pro/anti abortion, and other groups. You are probably correct that the lower echelons of black americans constitute the large portion of that bloc. Unfortunately, society is not yet to the point where they see the person before the race on the whole, surely many do as individuals but we still have a ways to go before wiping it out as one of those criteria that goes into the initial judgements we make. As a survival trait, humans make assessments very fast initially before allowing the higher brain functions to counter or rewrite the basis for the initial assessment.

xp- Rather than thinking like a separationist, it's my impression that he is attempting to convey the impression he has of the republican party, an impression shared by a goodly portion of america. I've not observed a similar reaction to black democratic candidates. Does this mean that the republican party is full of bigots? I don't believe so. But, it is an impression that many people have, and one I can understand given their stances on things such as affirmative action, congressman such as thurmond and helms (former I know, but no new devils have appeared to replace them in my mind) etc. I'll stop here and let americanliberal correct me if I'm wrong :)

It's certainly possible that the prominent black republicans were chosen for their skills. But you must admit, given the current state of politics, that it's also possible some of them were chosen because of their race. I'm not saying all of them were, or that ones who may have been chosen to up the race quotient are unskilled, just that it's possible.

As to the polls... there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics :) but mostly polls are done to auqire information which may be analyzed in the light of behavioral and sociological (that a word?) psychology to figure out a strategy to obtain the power they crave. Both sides. Within each party there are individuals who want the power to help lead society in the direction they believe would most benefit society, and others that want the power to satisfy their own needs. In the ideal world, race would not be a factor (we may acheive that someday), in the real world it is. Twould be nobler indeed to begin ignoring that data, but one side won't till the other does, to do so would lose too much competitive advantage.

4. X.P. Alidocious

X.P. Alidocious Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe. Yes. I'm well aware of that idea.
    It's strange though that the Republican party's treatment of Thurmond is noticed, while the behavior of the democrats in regard to congressman Byrd, Justice Thomas, and former
    presidential candidate Alan Keyes goes unnoticed.

5. Aquarian

Aquarian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is strange, I'd just yesterday read about byrd's actions against a civil rights bill. I haven't had the chance yet to research why he was against it in 57, or if his attitudes have changed. Not familiar with the other two but I concur, democrats don't seem to garner the same ire for similar actions/beliefs for some reason.

6. X.P. Alidocious

X.P. Alidocious Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe. Probably because he's a former member of the KKK.

Justice Clarence Thomas is a black Supreme Court justice
    the democrats attempted to Bork. Alan Keyes is a black
    conservative, former presidential candidate who was
    physically hauled away from the presidential debates
    in the election before last. (I think, it may've been this
    last one, my memory's a little fuzzy, but that's probably
    because I'm running on three hours of sleep.)

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The Anderson Group, today released a poll taken over the last three days that shows Gubernatorial Candidate Bobby Jindal continues to have the momentum by holding a 45-38 advantage over opponent Kathleen Blanco with just two days left until Election Day. The poll of 1,000 likely voters was conducted from November 10-12 and has a margin of error of +/- 3 percent. However, earlier the Blanco campaign they were in the lead by four points from their tracking poll..

The Jindal campaign states this poll confirms a Verne Kennedy poll released today that shows Jindal maintaining a 46 to 42 lead over Blanco.

Link

8. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Kathleen Blanco wins. So much for the polls.