Black Group Sues To .... Make It Easier To Elect Black People

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
A local activist group is going to court to try to make it easier to elect black candidates.

As voters in a St. Petersburg City Council race proved on Tuesday, many of them are colorblind.

The lawsuit was filed last month in federal court by members of the Uhuru movement. It claims the election process in St. Petersburg makes it too difficult to get black candidates elected because after they nominate them in primary elections, they can still be voted down in the general election when the whole city can vote.

But that way of seeing District 6 seemed to take a hit Tuesday when a white woman, Darden Rice, gathered the most votes in the district's city council primary election.

Dwight 'Chimurenga' Waller, a black candidate and president of the
Uhuru group, said he was not surprised a white candidate won.

"This lawsuit was a part of an effort to stop this takeover of the black community," Waller said. "It's a takeover by a power elite that happens to be white people."

Waller said Rice was helped by a redrawing of district lines several years ago that added white voters to the district. Ironically, Rice said she was helped by Waller's assertions.

Turnout was very low in District 6, less than 15 percent. But Rice said she could not have led her field without the support of all voters, of all races.

"I think the results speak for themselves," Rice said. "What we saw from the results of the election was that the people rejected Waller's line of argument. And my fear is that the divisiveness may have turned some people away from the polls altogether."

The incumbent city council member in District 6 is a black man, Earnest Williams. He finished second in Tuesday's primary. But Waller said he will do nothing to help him get reelected.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2005/9/28/120788.html

"It claims the election process in St. Petersburg makes it too difficult to get black candidates elected because after they nominate them in primary elections, they can still be voted down in the general election when the whole city can vote."

Doesn't that...pretty much apply to everybody?

If they want to make it easier for a black candidate to be elected, they should nominate a black person people will want to vote for. Pretty simple.

Jimmyeatworld said:
"It claims the election process in St. Petersburg makes it too difficult to get black candidates elected because after they nominate them in primary elections, they can still be voted down in the general election when the whole city can vote."

Doesn't that...pretty much apply to everybody?

If they want to make it easier for a black candidate to be elected, they should nominate a black person people will want to vote for. Pretty simple.

Stop making sense.

In Detroit, the racial mistrust runs so deep that the African American candidates can literally steal in plain view of their consituents, and they'll still get votes because "at least it aint whitey."

It's sad, really. They distrust everyone else so much that they let their own people politically rape them.

The ClayTaurus said:
In Detroit, the racial mistrust runs so deep that the African American candidates can literally steal in plain view of their consituents, and they'll still get votes because "at least it aint whitey."

It's sad, really. They distrust everyone else so much that they let their own people politically rape them.

Amen to that---we've had black "church folks" sign leases using the evacuees names and money INSTEAD of following the procedure laid out by the Red Cross and FEMA. Now when they come back for a "refund" and find out it's not refundable they are PISSED.
Who would have thought that "whitey" was really going to give them 7 months free rent ?

The ClayTaurus said:

I should be fair. Not all the citizens of Detroit feel this way, but there are a good number of them.

The ClayTaurus said:
I should be fair. Not all the citizens of Detroit feel this way, but there are a good number of them.

OH hell--go ahead and generalize
I know everyone is not the same and you'll hurt your back bending over backwards to be PC. :crutch:

dilloduck said:
OH hell--go ahead and generalize
I know everyone is not the same and you'll hurt your back bending over backwards to be PC. :crutch:

I'll tell ya what, you can generalize for me all you want. I'm pretty flexible, so bending over backwards doesn't bother me :)

The ClayTaurus said:

thats not just Detroit. Its here in Philly too, with Mayor Street. The man is indicted under an FBI probe into money laundering and embezzlement from people in his administration in the city, and he still gets reelected because the inner city population thought whitey made it all up to try and keep the black man down. They get what they vote for. They think its whitey keeping them down. It hasnt been whitey for the past 50 years. ITs been their leaders that sold them out to the Democrats.

Forum List

Back