Billions of People Depend on Water From Shrinking Snowpacks

R

rdean

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/s...d-on-water-from-shrinking-snowpacks.html?_r=0

“Water managers need to prepare themselves for the worst outcome,” Dr. Mankin said. The public can help mitigate threats to snowpacks by limiting contributions of greenhouse gas emissions, he added.

--------------------------------

How ridiculous. Don't USMB scientists tell us snowpacks are growing? Who wants to listen to liberals. Name one thing Republicans have been wrong about in the last 30 years.

Need to convince Progressives that Earth is finished, they must find another planet

Need to convince Progressives that Earth is finished, they must find another planet

maybe they should just return to the planet of their origin.

bizarroworld.jpg

Rick Perry said a broken clock is right once a day.

I believe water will be more precious than oil some day soon , drinking water that is.

I believe water will be more precious than oil some day soon , drinking water that is.

If only there were some way to remove the salt from ocean water.
We could call it desalination.
Nuclear power could be used, but I'll bet lefties would rather die of dehydration than drink "radioactive" water.

Nuclear power could be used, but I'll bet lefties would rather die of dehydration than drink "radioactive" water.

Well they are working on it , but so far not so cost effective. We have a large underground reserve in the south we are drawing from and I guess Brazil has a huge one, but do we want to drain the center of the earth out? Fracking is bad enough. 3% of earths drinkable (if my memory serves) and a lot of that is polluted. I'm all for nuclear power, but no I'm not going to drink radioactive water.

Well they are working on it , but so far not so cost effective. We have a large underground reserve in the south we are drawing from and I guess Brazil has a huge one, but do we want to drain the center of the earth out? Fracking is bad enough. 3% of earths drinkable (if my memory serves) and a lot of that is polluted. I'm all for nuclear power, but no I'm not going to drink radioactive water.

but so far not so cost effective.

Much cheaper than oil.

Fracking is bad enough.

Bad how?

I'm all for nuclear power, but no I'm not going to drink radioactive water.

Sorry, liberals are so stupid, they think irradiating food makes it radioactive.
I'm sure they'd think water desalinated with nuclear energy would also become radioactive.

And the water running under Fukushima is perfectly safe to drink, right? Problem for nuclear power right now is that it is very expensive, and that the 'failsafe' gaurantee turned out to be wrong. Siting near an ocean has to be well above any known runup from a tsunami or storm surge. And those sited near rivers have to be well above any flood from dam failure upstream. Murphy's.

In early 2000, glaciers in the tropics covered a total of approximately 1,900km², with 98% in the Andes between Colombia and Bolivia, predominantly in Peru (70%) and Bolivia (20%). Despite their small global volume – equivalent to less than 0.3mm of sea level rise – these glaciers are important for two reasons. First, they are excellent indicators of climate trends and variability – definitely the best indicator in the tropical zone. Second, they play a significant role in hydrology and water resources such as fresh water, power generation and irrigation. My main contribution since 1991 has consisted in achieving a network of permanently monitored glaciers, through which the evolution of these glaciers is analysed and the future of the water resource modelled. This effort was conducted by the French research institution IRD, and a small team of French researchers within the framework of a straight cooperation with several Andean institutions in each country.

Tropical glaciers have experienced a strong decline in recent decades. However, going back several centuries and reconstructing the entire process of glacier shrinkage from the “little ice age” - the last glacial maximum occurred in this part of the Andes between the 17th and 18th centuries – Andean glaciers began to retreat around AD1730-50. However, glacier depletion has increased dramatically in the second half of the 20th century, especially after 1976. We can claim that in recent decades the glacier recession moved at a rate unprecedented for at least the last three centuries – in 30 years, they have lost between 35% and 50% of their area and volume.

Small glaciers are the most vulnerable, and are disappearing. The consistency of this signal back from Colombia to Bolivia shows the homogeneity of the change in these low latitude mountains. The atmospheric warming is the factor that can best explain this consistency, up to ~0.7°C since 1950 and more marked since 1976, while the trend in precipitation is much less homogeneous over this area and is affected by a significant decadal variability. Regionally, the tropical Pacific – through the ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) and the PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) modes – controls most of this variability. The significant increase in the frequency and the intensity of warm El Niño events between 1976 and 2007 were partly responsible for the glacier depletion process, combined with global warming.

Global warming spells disaster for tropical Andes glaciers

There are villages in the Andes that have been abandoned as their summer source of water has disappeared.

And the water running under Fukushima is perfectly safe to drink, right? Problem for nuclear power right now is that it is very expensive, and that the 'failsafe' gaurantee turned out to be wrong. Siting near an ocean has to be well above any known runup from a tsunami or storm surge. And those sited near rivers have to be well above any flood from dam failure upstream. Murphy's.

And the water running under Fukushima is perfectly safe to drink, right?

Do you feel that desalinated water is in any way equivalent to the water under Fukushima?

Problem for nuclear power right now is that it is very expensive

Yes, frivolous lawsuits and bureaucratic delays drive up costs.

Ah yes, those stupid bureacratic delays, like making sure that the site is above any known or potential flooding. What a waste that would have been had they done that at Fukushima. The nukes are costly to build, costly to run and take care of the wastes.

Ah yes, those stupid bureacratic delays, like making sure that the site is above any known or potential flooding. What a waste that would have been had they done that at Fukushima. The nukes are costly to build, costly to run and take care of the wastes.

They could easily make them less costly.
Have a single, government approved design.
Stop trying to bury so much useful plutonium and uranium.
Reprocess. Think of all the "ebil CO2" we could keep out of the air. For the chilluns!!

The failures are known. And the consequences of a major failure are so great that no private insurance company will insure a nuclear power station. And no re-insurance agency would touch one that would endevour to do so.

Last edited:
The failures are known. And the consequences of a major failure are so great that no private insurance company will insure a nuclear power station. And no re-insurance agency would touch one that would endevour to do so.

And the consequences of a major failure are so great that no private insurance company will insure a nuclear power station.

Well gosh, once all the new plants are built using the government approved design, the government should insure them.
Because, after all, the greatest threat in the world is CO2.

And the consequences of a major failure are so great that no private insurance company will insure a nuclear power station.

Well gosh, once all the new plants are built using the government approved design, the government should insure them.
Because, after all, the greatest threat in the world is CO2.

Uh oh.... Wonder when they will stop insuring cars with combustible engines?

Forum List

Back