The answer is simple, but "we" can't handle it's implications.

Separate students by IQ, and tailor the curiculum and pace of learning accordingly. It always works for the benefit of the greatest number of students. And for the society at large.

But...

There will be very, very few "disadvantaged minorities" in the top classifications. There will be no "special needs" kids in the top classifications. Indeed those students will populate the lowest classes.

Leftists, who control academe, have this silly and counterproductive view that if the system works properly, everyone will end up being equally educated.

Stupidity on steroids. We know what must be done, but lack the courage to do it.

Fuck us all.

"Leftists, who control academe, have this silly and counterproductive view that if the system works properly, everyone will end up being equally educated."

That's absurd. The idea is to give everyone an equal opportunity.

You must have heard that before Obama's Race to the Bottom.

Wtf are you talking about? United States posted the best growth out of developed countries since GR

During Obama's terms? How about a link.

Umm yes, during Obama's terms...have you been living under a rock?

170505135848-trump-unemployment-05052017-780x439.jpg

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Hmmm...not seeing anything about "best growth out of developed countries since GR", get your BS together.

Sure:

gdp-growth-in-eurozone-japan-and-us-2008q1-to-2014q31.png

Time for concession.

List of countries by real GDP growth rate - Wikipedia

52 United States 1.60

Wtf are you talking about? United States posted the best growth out of developed countries since GR

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Hmmm...not seeing anything about "best growth out of developed countries since GR", get your BS together.

Sure:

Time for concession.

52 United States 1.60

I can see why you call yourself Thinker101 - you are a beginner at this.

In your link Iraq is #1, enough said.

Separate students by IQ, and tailor the curiculum and pace of learning accordingly. It always works for the benefit of the greatest number of students. And for the society at large.

We had that in NYS 50 years ago.
Regents program....worked great too.

I was just thinking about that. You could get a Regents diploma or a local diploma.

Fun trivia. My lowest score on a Regents final was 81, in geometry.

You must have heard that before Obama's Race to the Bottom.

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.
GDP Annual Growth Rate - Countries - List

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.

52 United States 1.60

I can see why most call you a dumbass....dumbass.

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.

52 United States 1.60

You are not using those rankings correctly, in this argument. There is a reason that rankings chart you reference is top-heavy with developing, modernizing economies, while the large, developed, modernized economies trend to the bottom. As you can see here:

600px-Countries_by_Real_GDP_Growth_Rate_%282016%29.svg.png

Russia. of course, has a terrible economy right now, and China and India are growing. Of course, they are staring at a much lower per capita GDP than is the United states, so those economies are growing just to get to where we already are, as they develop their economies.

I have a masters degree in Finance and a bachelors in mathematics, and I found it challenging to help my 4th grader with his math homework.

That curriculum is an absolute piece of shit.

Common Core is standards. People are bitching about the curriculum chosen to align with Common Core. My state used Common Core and in our high schools, we wrote the curriculum.

You couldn't help your 4th grader because you were not taught the way they were taught, which is actually superior to the way you learned in 4th grade.

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.

52 United States 1.60

Iraq #1 developed growing economy. Gotcha, non-dumbass.

I have a masters degree in Finance and a bachelors in mathematics, and I found it challenging to help my 4th grader with his math homework.

Common Core is standards. People are bitching about the curriculum chosen to align with Common Core. My state used Common Core and in our high schools, we wrote the curriculum.

You couldn't help your 4th grader because you were not taught the way they were taught, which is actually superior to the way you learned in 4th grade.
Why is it superior? Just curious.

One way is that it makes mental math more efficient, and larger numbers less daunting. I had no problem with common core with my kids. It seemed just like the method I used already to do math in my head quickly.

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.

Sure:

Time for concession.

52 United States 1.60

Doesn't really matter if Iraq is #1 or not, it shows the U.S. is not number 1 through51 as you claim it is in your post.

No, it's not.

Clearly, you have a dog in the fight and you are defensive, but the fucking Egyptians used math to calculate taxation in 3000 BC.

It wasn't broke, why fix it? Seems to me that society has evolved perfectly with traditional teaching of mathematics....all over the planet.

Then we get some self important bureaucrats who need to justify their existence by changing how we teach math after LITERALLY 5000 years.

Didnt we get to the moon on that old shifty math? Didn't we build the Golden Gate Bridge on that old shitty math? Didn't we figure out the sun was the center of the solar system on that old shitty math? Didn't we base our entire financial markets on that old shitty math? I could go on and on, but I think I made my point.

Somehow, the people who accomplished all of those feats learned math just fine,

Last edited:

It teaches number sense and all of the things we called "shortcuts" as the way to actually do the problem.

For example:
What is 12 x 8?

Most people who learned their times tables know that is 96.

Unfortunately, the kids today are too "busy" to do that sort of rote memorization.

Common Core teaches them to break the problem down and use the distributive property.

12 = 10 + 2, so we multiply 10 x 8 in our head to get 80.

Then we multiply 2 x 8 to get 16.

Now, we can add 80 + 16 to get the answer of 96.

Then when you do higher numbers, they can use the same process.

No, it's not.

Clearly, you have a dog in the fight and you are defensive, but the fucking Egyptians used math to calculate taxation in 3000 BC.

It wasn't broke. Seems to me that society has evolved perfectly with traditional teaching of mathematics....all over the planet.

Then we get some self important bureaucrats who need to justify their existence by changing how we teach math.

Didnt we get to the moon on that old shifty math? Didn't we build the Golden Gate Bridge on that old shitty math? Didn't we figure out the sun was the center of the solar system on that old shitty math? Didn't we base out entire financial markets on that old shitty math? I could go on and on, but I think I made my point.

Somehow, the people who accomplished all of those feats learned math just fine,

A Smart phone has more computing power than the computers NASA used to plan the moon landings. Do we not want to improve?

The old ways are outdated and don't work as well anymore.

That is such a pile of crap admiral. I agree with angus, and not just about math. There isn’t a young person who works at a cash register in a grocery store that can figure your change without a computer. Math has become English, it is sentences not numbers. It is beyond stupid.mwriting in any form but especially in textbooks has become pure bullshit. No one can write or even think in a straight line anymore, as many of the posters here prove. I have people working for me that wouldn’t even know,if,their paychecks were wrong. Math has become so obtuse kids can’t wait to get away from it. Simplicity is out the window. Look at your example. How long did it take you to explain it vs memorization or doing it in your head. 2 plus 2 is 4. We don’t need to debate why it is four. 99% of the people don’t need to know anymore than that. Why punish them. Education is a mess from kindergarten to college.

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.

Doesn't really matter if Iraq is #1 or not, it shows the U.S. is not number 1 through51 as you claim it is in your post.
That is such a pile of crap admiral. I agree with angus, and not just about math. There isn’t a young person who works at a cash register in a grocery store that can figure your change without a computer. Math has become English, it is sentences not numbers. It is beyond stupid.mwriting in any form but especially in textbooks has become pure bullshit. No one can write or even think in a straight line anymore, as many of the posters here prove. I have people working for me that wouldn’t even know,if,their paychecks were wrong. Math has become so obtuse kids can’t wait to get away from it. Simplicity is out the window. Look at your example. How long did it take you to explain it vs memorization or doing it in your head. 2 plus 2 is 4. We don’t need to debate why it is four. 99% of the people don’t need to know anymore than that. Why punish them. Education is a mess from kindergarten to college.

Try multiplying any 2 digit number by any other two digit number.. You don't have those memorized unless you are a savant. Doing it in your head is what I just showed. You don't realize that is what you are doing, but you are!

You are going to have students that do a pump and dump. They pump their brain full and remember how to do it for the test and then dump it during the test.

I have had literally thousands of students in my career. Occasionally if a class does poorly I offer them a retest. A good percentage will do worse on the retest after I have retaught the material because they dumped it during the first test. It is not just math either because I taught social studies also.

You can teach them about Independence Day being July 4 into you are blue n the face, and some will still get it wrong. They just don't give a shit!

api.asp

Profits.png

deficit.jpg

Sure:

Time for concession.

If that doesn’t matter NOTHING about your list does.

tell me which DEVELOPED COUNTRY grew better than US since Great Recession or just take that tail, put it between your legs and get lost.

Forum List

Back