Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=9446

Serpas admits Metro mishandled Qur'an incident

30-06-2005

By SHEILA BURKE

Naqshville, Tennesseean.com:

Officers and dispatchers should have done a better job responding to complaints last week about the defacing of a Muslim holy book, Metro Police Chief Ronal Serpas said yesterday.

An Emergency Communication Center employee has already been disciplined for the incident that Muslim leaders said took two hours for a police response, Serpas confirmed.

But the chief, speaking after meeting with a group of Muslim and other community leaders yesterday, said he did not believe the delay was intentional.

"I don't have any reason to believe that someone decided not to go there for any reasons of bigotry or discrimination," he said.

"I think that some days you get really busy and you can do a better job of managing the calls, and I think in this case between us and the (Emergency Communication Center) we should have probably done a better job of managing the calls."

Some of the dispatchers probably don't know what the Quran is and what it means to Muslims but could use some training, he said. Wanna bet?

The holy book for Muslims is regarded as a direct connection with God. Its defacement is considered by the Islamic community to be an act of aggression.

Reports a few weeks ago of desecration of the Quran at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in Cuba sparked protests throughout the Islamic world.

The dispatcher, the chief said, was disciplined because she didn't give enough information to field supervisors.

Serpas said a call about the desecration of a religious faith would merit a serious response from the police as opposed to some other calls for help.

Muslim leaders said they were satisfied with the chief's remarks made during a private meeting at the Somali Community Center in south Nashville. Serpas and some of his department's top brass, Metro Human Relations Commission representatives and community leaders met with the Muslim group for about 90 minutes.

"I want to say that I'm very pleased that the police chief is here," said Abdishakur Ibrahim, Imam of the Al-Farooq mosque.

"By him showing up here himself, it's a good thing. "

Ibrahim said he had learned a lot about the police department and that officers had in turn learned more about his community.

"I think it was an extremely successful dialogue," said Kelvin Jones, executive director of the Human Relations Commission, which facilitated the meeting.

As for the defaced holy book, police are still investigating.

The book was discovered on a doorstep June 22 in the LeNore Garden Apartments complex on Crutcher Street.

The book was covered with flies and a torn-out page mashed into what appeared to be feces.

Islamic leaders said they called police six times before officers responded to the call.

Yesterday police said they could only find two calls but said they were going to re-examine call records.

Sure, it sounds like a hate crime but what was the emergency? So what if it took 2 hours to respond, it isn't like there was immediate danger of anyone dying. I don't understand the fuss.

HorhayAtAMD said:
Sure, it sounds like a hate crime but what was the emergency? So what if it took 2 hours to respond, it isn't like there was immediate danger of anyone dying. I don't understand the fuss.

Use of 'hate crime' in this case is off mark in my opinion. Why wouldn't this in actuality be considered free speech expression? If it's ok to desecrate portrayals of Mary, Jesus, the flag, what's up with the Koran?

HorhayAtAMD said:

Infidel Dogs were desecrating the sacred Q'u'r'a'n!! How can you not be so upset about this?!?! I BET THEY DIDNT EVEN USE GLOVES!!!

Forum List

Back