Best rifle for hunting whitetail deer

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Whitetail deer are not huge animals. Nor are they particularly tough skinned. So anything above a .243 should work well enough. (yeah, I know there are people who hunt deer with a .223, but not me)

As for action, I think the Ruger No. 1 is the best. Being a single shot, you lose about 4 inches of overall length, while keeping the same barrel length.

Anyone else have an opinion?

I like my Winchester 700 in .270.
Sold the 30.06 because it was way more than needed in Texas.
The .270 shoots reasonably flat and will knock down larger animals such as Mule deer and Axis without a problem.

The .270 shoots reasonably flat and will knock down larger animals such as Mule deer and Axis without a problem.

I think a .270 is an excellent deer round. I have owned 2 (a Rem 700 was a sweet shooter). Both were good rifles, but the 700 was the more accurate. I never had a deer leave the scene.

I think a .270 is an excellent deer round. I have owned 2 (a Rem 700 was a sweet shooter). Both were good rifles, but the 700 was the more accurate. I never had a deer leave the scene.

I find it to be perfect for where I hunt.
You could say it's slightly overkill for a white tail but when that big Axis walks out you're glad you have it.
If all I shot were the small white tails in the Texas Hill Country a .243 would be plenty adequate.

300 Savage model 99e.

The Savage 99 is a cool rifle.

That it is. Gotta love a lever action.

I had a chance to buy a Rossi lever action in .357 Mag several years ago. Decent price. Couldn't see a need for it. Have regretted that since.
The 357 mag and the 44 are solid picks. When hunting in Alaska one should ALWAYS wear a side arm and the same caliber makes it easier.

Big game hunting season was over about six months ago. How is this a "current event"?

Deer season didn't end in some places until Feb. And we have to have current plans for the next season.
The 99e was the best rifle I ever owned. The worst? 8x57 Mauser.
That damn thing was heavy and not to damn accurate.

300 Savage model 99e.

Large Deer and Elk. One gun. White tails in Washington can run 200 lbs.

A big Axis will run 250lbs.
upload_2016-5-1_20-36-39.png

And a big Texas Mulie will get around 280lbs.

I rarely shoot anything but Axis anymore because the meat quality is far better than a white tail or a mule deer.

Whitetail deer are not huge animals. Nor are they particularly tough skinned. So anything above a .243 should work well enough. (yeah, I know there are people who hunt deer with a .223, but not me)

As for action, I think the Ruger No. 1 is the best. Being a single shot, you lose about 4 inches of overall length, while keeping the same barrel length.

Anyone else have an opinion?

I hunt mule deer and my old 30-06 does just fine.

300 Savage model 99e.

I had a chance to buy a Rossi lever action in .357 Mag several years ago. Decent price. Couldn't see a need for it. Have regretted that since.

I got a Winchester 30.30 and thats about it for lever action.
Very dependable gun and there are not many elk in Texas if any so the caliber is fine. Its not a Elk gun I can tell you right now.

Forum List

Back