Bengals-49ers (1988): Sports Demonology

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Super Bowl XXIII was an American football game between the American Football Conference (AFC) champion Cincinnati Bengals and the National Football Conference (NFC) champion San Francisco 49ers to decide the National Football League (NFL) champion for the 1988 season. The 49ers defeated the Bengals by the score of 20–16, winning their third Super Bowl (source of information: Wikipedia).

This was a terrific game which came down to the end and saw the heroics of Joe Montana led 49ers overtake the Boomer Esiason hot Bengals. I saw the whole game (I was only 10), and I so dearly wanted the 49ers to win and when they did...I became a true fan of televised sports in America!

Here's a mock dialogue between the film-actors Paul Newman (The Color of Money) and Elodie Yung (Gods of Egypt) about how consumerism-culture (e.g., Starbucks, Facebook, ESPN, Wall Street, etc., etc.) reorients sports-culture and hence 'society statesmanship.'

This kind of sociology will be the 'color' of TrumpUSA I think...

====

YUNG: Super Bowl XXIII was terrific...
NEWMAN: I really thought the Bengals were going to come out on top!
YUNG: Montana and Rice connected for great heroics and stunned Boomer's Bengals...
NEWMAN: I saw the whole game. It was one of the best!
YUNG: Televised sports has changed the way pedestrians think about marketing...
NEWMAN: That's how Notre Dame's lucrative contract with NBC stamped something onto culture!
YUNG: I wonder if shows like Celebrity Apprentice reflect modernism 'economics'...
NEWMAN: It's a Starbucks world, baby!
YUNG: I became a big Boomer fan after that game though...
NEWMAN: It was Jerry Rice who really controlled the outcome!
YUNG: Football fans recreate that magic on Madden NFL video games now...
NEWMAN: It's a cyber-academy!
YUNG: It's free-agency that corrupted sports and fanfare...
NEWMAN: There was a huge sport-culture 'shift' between the era of Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders!
YUNG: That's what the film Jerry Maguire is all about...
NEWMAN: Journalists should talk about how 'consumerism culture' redirects sports imagination.
YUNG: You mean, Super Bowl ads?
NEWMAN: Exactly!
YUNG: Will there be another consumerism-catalyzed Reaganomics?
NEWMAN: Ever notice how cartoons about robots symbolize new age 'teamwork'?

====

NEWMAN and YUNG:

duet1.jpg

decp.jpg

nfl.jpg

Forum List

Back