Beer companies opposing legal pot in Cali

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
While it is not surprising they oppose legal weed, as they see it as competition.

What is funny is the reason they are using.

It will put our Truck drivers at risk on the road. :lol:

Last edited:
While it is surprising they oppose legal weed, as they see it as competition.

Actually that is pretty funny. :lol:
But then again we don't need to add a bunch of extra addled pot heads to the traffic mix.

While it is surprising they oppose legal weed, as they see it as competition.

Actually that is pretty funny. :lol:
But then again we don't need to add a bunch of extra addled pot heads to the traffic mix.

Maybe, I am to busy LOL over the idea that Beer truck drivers are afraid of all those crazy pot heads on the roads. To think clearly right now :)

Of course they are afraid of a cleaner way to get a buzz or relax.
Adult useage of cannabis is not likely to rise a bunch, legalization will make many teen buzzers stop driving under the influence.
what dorks will come up with to oppose Jah's Herb.

I wonder how they expect to test for DUI in potheads? The substance stays in your system for up to a month in heavy users. How can they tell if someone just smoked a joint before driving?

I wonder how they expect to test for DUI in potheads? The substance stays in your system for up to a month in heavy users. How can they tell if someone just smoked a joint before driving?

The "cover ups" people use to mask their usage are well known to the police as is the fact one's eyes can't hide their having "just smoked a joint".

They're working on it

Elsevier

SpringerLink - Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Online First?

In an attempt to address this issue, studies have examined the extent to which cannabinoids are
present in the blood of drivers killed or injured in crashes. For example, cannabinoids (in the form
of either THC or THC-acid) were found in 7% of drivers killed in the US and in 2% of drivers killed
in Spain (Ramaeckers et al. 2004). These studies, however, have suffered from a failure to make
the distinction between the presence of the active component of THC and the inactive metabolite,
THC-acid (Alvarez et al. 1997, O’Kane et al. 2002).
In the early 1990s in Australia, Drummer (1994) found alcohol in 27% of fatally injured drivers and
cannabinoids in 11% of this group. The author acknowledged that, as with other studies, the
majority of cannabis cases tested positive for THC-acid, with only a small proportion testing
positive for the THC active component. More recently, Drummer (1999) reported an increase in the
prevalence of drugs in drivers killed and attributed this to higher detection rates for cannabis use.
The most prevalent drug (other than alcohol) was cannabis, ranging from 12% in Victoria to 17% in
Western Australia (with at least some of this variation possibly being due to different measurement
protocols). Again, however, the author acknowledged that all cases had the inactive metabolite
present....

There are two saliva-based devices, the
Rapiscan and Drugwipe, which are currently in use in Europe. While earlier evaluations of both
devices returned unacceptably high rates of false negatives and false positives (Lenné et al. 2000,
Mura et al. 2000, Samyn and van Haeren 2000), these types of device now have a more
acceptable accuracy if used as a precursor for a bodily fluid analysis, as in Victoria.

http://www.austroads.com.au/pdf/TestMethod2/6._ROLE_OF_CANNABIS_IN_ROAD_CRASHES.pdf

The "cover ups" people use to mask their usage are well known to the police as is the fact one's eyes can't hide their having "just smoked a joint".

Ever heard of visine?

I read mJ blogs and crime blogs all the time. Driving under MJ certainly is flying under the radar as a crime problem.

When you are tested for drugs in a workplace situation all they are looking for is a trace, not a set concentration. To determine imparement you need to know an exact concentration, and what that concentration means in terms of cognitve impairment.

it will be similar to how they came up with the BAC test for alcohol impairment. The numbers used (0.10 to 0.08) were derived from studies of response and reaction time based on a persons BAC. To determine this for pot, they will have people toke up, take a blood test to determine the THC fraction, make them do a task requiring situational awareness and response time, and see at what point a majority of the test subjects start screwing up the test. add a safety factor and PRESTO! you have your THC test.

My one question is if this can be correlated to a non-blood test method like the breathalyzer, (or dermal excretion) or will blood tests be needed.

I read mJ blogs and crime blogs all the time. Driving under MJ certainly is flying under the radar as a crime problem.

I don't know about you but I rather be on the road with 100 stoned drivers than 1 Drunk one.

stoners are most likely to be cited for going too slow than speeding, I have never had a thought of I hope there's no stoners on the road.:lol:

While it is not surprising they oppose legal weed, as they see it as competition.

This is a lame excuse from them. I can't wrap my head around why the beer co's are against legalization. I know a couple stoners who don't drink, but that's because they just don't dig the effects of alcohol... but every other stoner I know also drinks. Weed and beer go hand in hand on a Friday night. I don't get the companies' whining here. The two products are complimentary, not locked in a death-spiral of competition. :confused:

btw, Charles you got a link? I wasn't able to find anything on google about them using driver safety as a reason.

This is a lame excuse from them. I can't wrap my head around why the beer co's are against legalization. I know a couple stoners who don't drink, but that's because they just don't dig the effects of alcohol... but every other stoner I know also drinks. Weed and beer go hand in hand on a Friday night. I don't get the companies' whining here. The two products are complimentary, not locked in a death-spiral of competition. :confused:

btw, Charles you got a link? I wasn't able to find anything on google about them using driver safety as a reason.

Afraid not, It was an about 20 second mention on CNN. To clarify they did say it was "one of" the reasons they opposed it.

Afraid not, It was an about 20 second mention on CNN. To clarify they did say it was "one of" the reasons they opposed it.

No worries. I found this blog/article, with a bunch of interesting stuff.

California Marijuana Legalization Opposed by Beer Industry – duh!

Advocates for Proposition 19, meanwhile, are running the campaign on a shoestring budget. Wealthy individuals who generally bankroll the legalization movement such as Peter Lewis, the head of Progressive auto insurance, are sitting out.​

lol. :eusa_eh:

Organized labor, however, is stepping into the breach. The Service Employees International Union, a major presence in California, has endorsed the proposition. The Teamsters in September made its first successful foray into organizing pot growers. The United Food and Commercial Workers is backing the initiative and organizing cannabis club employees in the Bay Area. The teachers union, citing the revenue that could be raised for the state, is also backing the initiative.

On Saturday, Roger Salazar, a spokesman for Public Safety First, was confronted on CNN over his group’s alliance with the beer distributors. He blamed it on the forklift operators. “Let’s keep in mind the beer and beverage distributors are the folks who deliver beer and beverage products. The truck driver, the forklift drivers, you know, the warehouse workers. You know, these are folks who have traffic safety and employee safety issues, first and foremost,” Salazar said, though the beer distributors are the only distributor of any product to oppose the proposition.

Mason Tvert, head of the organization SAFER, which makes the case that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, told Salazar that driving or operating a fork lift while high would still be illegal if the proposition becomes law — just as alcohol is legal but it’s against the law to drive while drunk.​

they could just do the ''walk the straight line, and touch the nose test''....maybe?

Ahh maybe not. Since Pot does not effect motor skills like Booze does.
then they would not fail the test....they would be ok to drive? unless there is something else that is a side effect that makes their driving not acceptable? we don't need babysitters, we need common sense....and if the mj smoker stopped, passes the ''reaction/sobriety tests'' then why should they be ticketed? you can drink and drive, as long as you have not drank too much, to where your driving is impaired, right?

Forum List

Back