Ban or Censor Video Games, Not Guns?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Jan 13, 2013.

1. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,007
    It doesn't help either when our Government becomes our parent.
    Taking care of us from cradle to grave does not help us at all to become responsible adults.

I had a friend from my church say that she was not raised to believe in God.
    She was exposed to God in our public schools.
    Later as she became an adult and could think about philosophical things like life and death and the meaning of life she decided to turn to God and believe.
    She said she would have never done it if she had never been exposed to it. at school/
    Being exposed to what is good while we are children, is what helps them to become good adults.

Parents back then who raised their children not to believe in God, had no problem with them being exposed to it in our public schools.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Missourian

Missourian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,628
    My remark was specifically targeted, while yours is more generalized.

Of course I agree, question everything.

But I wrestle with the question specifically...what motivates a young man to go to an elementary school and shoot defenseless children...and IMO, it cannot be divined...it is impossible for a logical, rational person to ascertain using only logic and reason.

And how do you solve a problem without knowing it's cause.

We can speculate...maybe it's drugs, or contaminated water, or high fructose corn syrup or GMO vegetables or antibiotics in meat, or violent movies , or cosmic rays from outer space...the number of variables are enormous and the unknowns ubiquitous, without solid proof, or at a minimum accurate raw data, we are guessing at best.

For all we know, violent movies and video games are a healthy outlet for pent up aggression and removing them would have a deleterious effect on our society.

IOW, sometimes, in the absence of proven unbiased data, we simply have to admit...we don't know what we don't know.

3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,557
    And I can't argue with that. We live in a society in which bad people do bad things. The primary difference is that in the past we blamed the person who did the bad things even if we deemed him insane or demon possessed or whatever. But we looked no further than the person for the motive for the killing.

And now--and I have absolutely been guilty in some of my posts on this thread--we aren't content to blame the person who does the bad act. We look for something or somebody to blame. Religious fanaticism. Political extremist views. Diet. Environment. Drugs. Bad parenting. Or media and video games. Whatever is the politically correct target of the day.

Perhaps it is a shift to a collective mentality that simply will not hold the individual accountable for his/her acxtions and let it go at that?

But at the same time, it does raise other questions of how we became this sort of society. So I suppose the thread topic can easily point to both things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Circe

Circe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +319

Some people want me to expand on what I said above, okay, though I'm not sure why.

In this richest of all rich countries, even the poor can pay out lots of money to commercial interests, and for that reason, everything in the culture panders to the lowest common denominator because there are always more stupid people than smart people. In the 50s only the smartest and richest went to college and so colleges were elite: now they are makeup classes for learning basic reading that was never learned in grade school or high school. The lowest common denominator is the largest part of society -- and they like lurid violence because it's easy and exciting, so we get lurid, violent games and movies and hip-hop "music" with heavy drumbeats, not real music at all. Air travel used to be a luxury for an elite and everyone wore suits and dresses and women wore high heels --- now people dress in sweats at best and disgusting obscenity clothes at worst. Voting since the first Greek democracy until quite lately used to be only by full citizens with property and something to lose: but now voting is supposed to follow this terrible pattern of everything going to the lowest common denominator, so felons and retarded persons and homeless men and drunks and people on welfare are encouraged to vote, vote, vote.

I don't think most of this excessive democratization is about or by the government: I think it's mostly commerce, trying to sell to the biggest bloc of buyers, the lowest common denominator. The government and commerce teamed up to promote homeowning to people with No Income, No Jobs and crashed the world economy for years.

Our culture has gone down into the gutter and the violent movies and games and huge collections of guns people have, even people of quite modest incomes, reflect the trashing of the values we used to have. The least educated, the least smart, the least employed, the least able people are the ones who have the biggest numbers, and because of the new, excessive democratization of this society, they now set the standards for everything: for clothes, for TV, for discussion forums, for elected officials, for games, for movies, for gun-owning and stocking up, and given how Mexico has gone ahead of us, I see us going the same way right behind them: more and more violence in a more and more degraded culture.

5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,557
    Thanks for the clarification Circe. I think that is where I instinctively suspected you were coming from. Had your mini essay been written by somebody with a well known name, it would be probably copied, posted, and linked all over the internet by now. Very well stated.

I would just suggest that you choose a word other than 'democratization' for the phenomenon you express here. Maybe 'equalization' would be a better word so that you don't appear to be condemning Democracy or such. :)

Other than that, I have absolutely no quarrel with your point of view on this. Well done.

6. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,007

What seemed to motivate the kid at Sandy Hook was when he found out that his Mom was going to put him in a mental facility.
    What kind of rage did he have in him that wanted to kill his Mom and all those kids and teacher's.
    A note that they found said that he just wanted to feel. To feel something, anything.
    How many other of our children feel that way. That they can not feel anything.
    Perhaps it is a combination of all of it.
    Our food with all the junk added to it.
    All of the vaccinations we start giving them from sometimes birth to 6 months and then each and every year. They are way to many that are being given.
    The genetically altered foods.
    None of this can be very good for any of us , but especially our kids.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,557
    I agree with all of this too. I think all of it should be looked at and we should consider what we are doing to our health, our mental state, etc. based on what we put into our bodies or the environment in which we live. But also, we need to be careful not to use that to excuse bad choices or bad behavior.

Somehow, we need to return to a culture with mostly shared values of right and wrong, good and bad, hero and villain, etc. etc. I think as Circe suggested, we look to the lowest common denominator instead of the best that we have as the target to shoot for.

8. Missourian

Missourian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,628
    My answer could only be my own speculation.

We are an enlightened society, and even at an individual level, we are all on a quest to understand the world around us.

When we are presented with an anomaly, we want to quantify it, polish the edges and force it to fit our view of reality.

And when the unexplained anomaly is a behavior that is so unconscionable that it is impossible to understand, it leaves a vacuum that we feel must be filled...that the equation must be balanced. So we theorize, using our own opinions of what is wrong with society as a substitution solution.

Likeminded people advance similar theories, a consensus evolves...and that conclusion supplants the truism that individuals are responsible for their own actions.

Again, this is just my observation, polishing an anomaly to fit my view of reality. ;)

9. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,778
    What's hard, and I think we are all parents here, so most know what I mean; what's hard is that we are not really objective about our children. I strongly suspect that even though Nancy Lanza was ready to have Adam committed, that notion that he would hurt her never gelled in her mind. I lock my guns up, but because they are a huge investment and I fear being robbed, not because I ever thought my kids would use them against me or someone else. My son, the only child still at home, knows the combination to the gun safe.

It's easy to cast aspersions, but the reality of my own life suggests that a psychotic break is all it would take in a child. As parents, we trust our children, even at times when we shouldn't.

10. Circe

Circe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +319
    The Lollards used to use the word "leveling." Everyone was supposed to be "level." That was in the 15th century, but it might still work ---- :D