Ban On Homosexual Blood Remains In Place

Hey, would any of you pro homo marrige people take some homo blood too?

Knowing that it is screened and filtered and death being the alternative..

Would you rather die or recieve blood from a homosexual??

In your case, being homophobic can be deadly.. Besides, you do know that they check every donation and screen it for Hep C and Hep B, as well as HIV.. No I guess you didn't know that.. Had you known that you wouldn't have started this thread or asked such a stupid question..

You're the sort of person who also believes that condoms make sex 100% safe, too, aren'tcha?

Let me read to you from a blood center website concerning your complacent faith in "screened and filtered" to keep you safe and make homosexual blood okay.

"The blood supply in the United States is much safer today than ever before. The risk of HIV transmission has been nearly eliminated and the risk of hepatitis transmission greatly reduced thanks to multiple levels of safeguards, including:

comprehensive evaluation of donors' medical and social history to exclude donors who may be carriers of infectious agents;
physical examination of the donor;
strict donation procedures using sterile supplies;
and laboratory testing."

The first two highlighted sections inform us that, contrary to your naive belief, blood supplies are NOT 100% safe even now. The second one I find just hilarious, because it tells us that an important component in the "screen and test" regimen that you trust your life to is the very component you're bitching about: not letting in donors with high risk factors.

I think that pretty much covers it. Perhaps when homosexual blood is actually an alternative to death rather than a possible contributing factor, we'll revisit your silly little question.

You are also excluded for illegal drug use or having sex with a prostitute. Its all a matter of how much risk is acceptable.

You can be excluded for all kinds of risk factors. You can't donate if you've lived in Western Europe since 1980, you've been in a correctional facility for 72 hours or more in the last 12 months, You were born in, lived in or had sex with anyone who lived in, or received Blood products in Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Niger or Nigeria since 1977, or you've had sexual contact with anyone who has these factors. Blood Donor Requirements - BloodBook, Blood Information for Life

It doesn't make good sense because how does anyone KNOW who is or is not gay, for crying out loud?

And if we want to discuss High Risk groups, Health Care workers MUST be at the absolute TOP of that list,

so what, now? Are they going to BAN doctors and nurses from physically interacting with patients for fear of disease transmission?

Sheesh.

You ask them and hope that they have the maturity to put other people's safety and well-being above their own hurt wittle feelings. Although according to the OP's link, that appears to be a pretty vain hope at this point.

As for doctors and nurses interacting, you don't see THEM throwing hissy fits over the myriad safety precautions they're forced to take to protect their patients from the possibility of catching anything from them.

I worked in a blood bank lab, a community blood center many moons ago.

For those that are saying yes... they would take in a transfusion of blood from a homosexual, iv drug user, those with many sex partners, or any higher risk donor because there are tests to detect aids, hepatitis, gonorrhea, etc. are not being considerate to those who work in the drawing center, or who work in the many labs of the blood bank.

Accidents happened with blood splatter all the time, while drawing blood from a donor, or while doing the testing on the blood, or while making the blood components.

Not screening out, high risk donors, BEFORE you draw a drop of blood from the donor, puts everyone in the blood bank who handles the blood units, at a much higher risk.

It also puts patients at a higher risk, because mistakes do happen... yes, some AIDS, hepatitis, or gonorrhea tainted blood or blood components, do get missed....or mistakenly sent out to a recipient.

The safest transfused blood a patient can take, is their own. Autologous blood or blood components....ie. packed red blood cells, plasma, factor 8/cryoprecipitate etc....

so, if you have a scheduled surgery that requires blood to be set up according to the surgery protocol, it is best, if you can set up having your own blood drawn and stored, before the surgery.

Bottom line, you put other disease free people at a higher risk without screening the donors.

care

I worked in a blood bank lab, a community blood center many moons ago.

For those that are saying yes... they would take in a transfusion of blood from a homosexual, iv drug user, those with many sex partners, or any higher risk donor because there are tests to detect aids, hepatitis, gonorrhea, etc. are not being considerate to those who work in the drawing center, or who work in the many labs of the blood bank.

Accidents happened with blood splatter all the time, while drawing blood from a donor, or while doing the testing on the blood, or while making the blood components.

Not screening out, high risk donors, BEFORE you draw a drop of blood from the donor, puts everyone in the blood bank who handles the blood units, at a much higher risk.

It also puts patients at a higher risk, because mistakes do happen yes, some AIDS, hepatitis, or gonorrhea tainted blood or blood components, do get missed.

The safest transfused blood a patient can take, is their own. Autologous blood or blood components....ie. packed red blood cells, plasma, factor 8/cryoprecipitate etc....

so, if you have a scheduled surgery that requires blood to be set up according to the surgery protocol, it is best, if you can set up having your own blood drawn and stored, before the surgery.

Bottom line, you put other disease free people at a higher risk without screening the donors.

care

I am still waiting to see if my paper gets published. We sent it to "Transfusion". If they publish it, I'll let you know.

Also, when i was in this field, we stopped paying donors for their blood, which was common practice at the time, so to reduce the likelihood of someone lying during their pre-donation screening.

Gay and bisexual men may feel "a loss of dignity, a feeling of marginalization, a sense of disappointment, and a sense of injustice," especially given their history of discrimination, Aitken wrote.

However that's not the same as asking the people who need blood to survive or thrive to accept lower standards when an adequate supply could be provided more safely.

So what you are implying is.... if only "gays" could donate there would be no shortage :eusa_eh:

Doubtful.... :doubt:

Plus heterosexuals can be just as much of a risk as gay people.
No they are not.

Care to try and prove that.

There are some very "loose" folks out there... hetero & non-hetoro

Its a stupid rule, if its true... + all ya got to do is answer no and bingo your in!

hurting someones feelings is being used as the reason high risk donors should be allowed to donate???????????

''sorry charlie'', that is not a good reason to stop the 'safe practices' of the field.

Better safe, than sorry.

Donating blood with a needle the size of an 8 Gage shotgun, is not fun.

Going through all of that, is not worth it, if you know your blood donation is likely to end up incinerated.

Since blood donors are no longer allowed to be paid for their blood donation, it is likely, that the donor is doing this donation out of the kindness of their heart, and are unlikely to lie on the questionnaire....they do not want to hurt strangers, they want to help strangers.

Donating blood with a needle the size of an 8 Gage shotgun, is not fun.

Going through all of that, is not worth it, if you know your blood donation is likely to end up incinerated.

Since blood donors are no longer allowed to be paid for their blood donation, it is likely, that the donor is doing this donation out of the kindness of their heart, and are unlikely to lie on the questionnaire....they do not want to hurt strangers, they want to help strangers.

Ageed... its no fun! :eek:

Also, when i was in this field, we stopped paying donors for their blood, which was common practice at the time, so to reduce the likelihood of someone lying during their pre-donation screening.

I think that has completely gone by the wayside now. When I talked to the local blood bank they said they stopped doing that years ago.

The overwelming amount of dirty blood in the homosexual community is mother natures way of saying fail.

I think that has completely gone by the wayside now. When I talked to the local blood bank they said they stopped doing that years ago.

this was in the 80's....(could have been just the blood center i worked for, which had some mishaps with tainted blood mistakes on their record?)

Are you saying they are paying donors again? (military men were the largest groups that donated 'paid' blood, the blood mobiles always sat outside of a base in the early to mid 80's)

this was in the 80's....(could have been just the blood center i worked for, which had some mishaps with tainted blood mistakes on their record?)

Are you saying they are paying donors again? (military men were the largest groups that donated 'paid' blood, the blood mobiles always sat outside of a base in the early to mid 80's)

No the opposite. The local bloodbank won't pay donors for blood.

I am still waiting to see if my paper gets published. We sent it to "Transfusion". If they publish it, I'll let you know.

Is your paper about the conservatives fear that they may catch a case of gay from homosexual blood transfusions?

Is your paper about the conservatives fear that they may catch a case of gay from homosexual blood transfusions?

LOL. No. Much less controversial. It just tracks the blood banking/transfusion practices of our hospital and makes some suggestions for efficiency.

Well, it might be controversial to the GI docs when they read it. We felt they tended to over-transfuse.

Forum List

Back