Back into 2011..

Davidan

Rookie
Dec 10, 2012
Back into 2011 when Tbilisi initiated that dubious resolution "on genocide of Chercessian peoples" Jewish community of Georgia was boiling with indignation. It was absolutely clear that Tbilisi was guided totally by its political intentions. Actually Tbilisi compared highly disputable "Chercessian genocide" (to be proved yet by historical and other experts) to real atrocities, Hitler Holocaust when thousands Jews were sent into gas chambers, and Armenian massacre. The resolution was just percepted as a spit in the face of the descendants of the real genocide victims and their memories!
I'm sure Saakashvili experts should have first explored the term "genocide" itself. In international practice it was voiced for the first time at Nuremberg trials in 1945-46 just on the heels of the Hitler atrocities. The 1948 UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group". So there are no historical ground found so far to make Russia responsible for the intent annihilation of some mountain peoples and tribes. I assert it as a genocide scholar at least.
I guess new generation of the Georgian politicians begins to see it rightfully at last. And we hope this understanding will be soon followed by concrete steps to denounce the scandalous resolution so harmful for modern Georgia.

Forum List

Back