Auto tariff ultimatum by U.S. 'spooked' Canada into returning to last-ditch trade talks: source

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
As I've said, such a tariff would end any Canadian trade abuses in a flash. Look how fast they ran to the negotiating table at the mere threat.

From what I've read, Trump and his team refuse to take this off the table as an option even post-NAFTA. We will see...

Auto tariff ultimatum by U.S. ‘spooked’ Canada into returning to last-ditch trade talks: source

Canada has unexpectedly agreed to last-ditch talks this weekend to join the U.S.-Mexico trade agreement, with one source saying late Friday the Americans issued Ottawa an ultimatum: strike a deal by Sunday or face devastating tariffs on automobiles.

A Canadian official denied Saturday there had been any such threat.

The United States and Mexico decided Friday to put off plans to release the text of the bilateral agreement they reached last month, opening the door for another push to include Canada in the revamped NAFTA pact.

Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said the text was delayed due to a “very serious” attempt by Ottawa and Washington to reach a deal.

“In the next 48 hours we will know if we are going to get to a trilateral text or if we are going to have to put forward the text of the bilateral agreement,” Guajardo said in televised remarks to the Mexican Senate.

He said his U.S. and Canadian counterparts “specifically requested” a delay in publishing the text, which Mexican officials had said earlier Friday would be divulged at 7 p.m. ET.

As I've said, such a tariff would end any Canadian trade abuses in a flash. Look how fast they ran to the negotiating table at the mere threat.

From what I've read, Trump and his team refuse to take this off the table as an option even post-NAFTA. We will see...

Auto tariff ultimatum by U.S. ‘spooked’ Canada into returning to last-ditch trade talks: source

Canada has unexpectedly agreed to last-ditch talks this weekend to join the U.S.-Mexico trade agreement, with one source saying late Friday the Americans issued Ottawa an ultimatum: strike a deal by Sunday or face devastating tariffs on automobiles.

A Canadian official denied Saturday there had been any such threat.

The United States and Mexico decided Friday to put off plans to release the text of the bilateral agreement they reached last month, opening the door for another push to include Canada in the revamped NAFTA pact.

Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said the text was delayed due to a “very serious” attempt by Ottawa and Washington to reach a deal.

“In the next 48 hours we will know if we are going to get to a trilateral text or if we are going to have to put forward the text of the bilateral agreement,” Guajardo said in televised remarks to the Mexican Senate.

He said his U.S. and Canadian counterparts “specifically requested” a delay in publishing the text, which Mexican officials had said earlier Friday would be divulged at 7 p.m. ET.

Let me say if our great Trophy Wife Hunter in Chief can get us a better NAFTA that is great. I get some satisfaction out of the thought the first NAFTA may have cost Hillary the .5% of votes that lost her the election.

There, I'm very bipartisan :)

Trump's agreement with Mexico would increase Mexican auto worker pay from 275% up to 500% above current wage levels.

How in fuck is that gonna benefit US buyers of Mexican made autos coming into the US?
You people actually believe that Mexican made auto coming into the US is gonna be a better deal?

Trump has you people snowed like bitches.

FFS you people are idiots

Trump's agreement with Mexico would increase Mexican auto worker pay from 275% up to 500% above current wage levels.

How in fuck is that gonna benefit US buyers of Mexican made autos coming into the US?
You people actually believe that Mexican made auto coming into the US is gonna be a better deal?

Trump has you people snowed like bitches.

FFS you people are idiots

It's called "Made in America". You don't manufacture stuff you're in trouble. For National Security purposes among other concerns.

Forum List

Back