August: Osage County (2013) Netflix

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
And the award for the most f*cked up family in America goes to: Weston family in OK.

I don't know whether to recommend this movie or not. It is well acted, exceptional really. Script is solid, story is interesting and keeps you watching. But Jesus... it is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Every person in this family is a basket case. Alcoholics, drug addicts, not a successful marriage to be found... they scream, insult and attack each other like vipers.
I am not sure what the point of the movie is, maybe there isn't one. Other than the wide-eyed experience of watching people tear each other apart.
Watch it see how well acting can be. Watch how Julia Roberts should never have made all of those empty chick flicks and instead be a serious actor, because she is a damned good one. Watch Meryl Streep do it again.

And the award for the most f*cked up family in America goes to: Weston family in OK.

I don't know whether to recommend this movie or not. It is well acted, exceptional really. Script is solid, story is interesting and keeps you watching. But Jesus... it is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Every person in this family is a basket case. Alcoholics, drug addicts, not a successful marriage to be found... they scream, insult and attack each other like vipers.
I am not sure what the point of the movie is, maybe there isn't one. Other than the wide-eyed experience of watching people tear each other apart.
Watch it see how well acting can be. Watch how Julia Roberts should never have made all of those empty chick flicks and instead be a serious actor, because she is a damned good one. Watch Meryl Streep do it again.

If you don't see the point in the movie, Rotten Tomatoes gives it 65/67 rating, and the cast is led by heavy hitters, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, and Evan McGregor, and the movie won no awards, I don't think I would be recommending it.

If you don't see the point in the movie, Rotten Tomatoes gives it 65/67 rating, and the cast is led by heavy hitters, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, and Evan McGregor, and the movie won no awards, I don't think I would be recommending it.
Awards anymore are pretty much meaningless.
Having said that, it is just to exhausting to watch. The acting is solid as a rock, but they never put in any relief from the misery of these despicable people. The movie might have been redeeming if there would have at least been one good character that won something... or had something goo happen to them. But the only good person in the movie fell victim to the selfish nightmares of everyone else.

Awards anymore are pretty much meaningless.
Having said that, it is just to exhausting to watch. The acting is solid as a rock, but they never put in any relief from the misery of these despicable people. The movie might have been redeeming if there would have at least been one good character that won something... or had something goo happen to them. But the only good person in the movie fell victim to the selfish nightmares of everyone else.
Don't feel alone, most people hate moviee like this. If the story or script is really good and you see a point to the story then that changes everything. I'm a fan of the movie and play that you would probably hate, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woof." On the surface it is a movie about a couple who constantly pick at each other, fighting and bickering over everything. They spend the evening with another couple, loving and content on the surface. As the evening passes the theme of the drama becomes clear. Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf means who's afraid of the big bad wolf – who's afraid of living life without false illusions.

Last edited:
What were they thinking? A disfunctional family soap opera set in Oklahoma? Maybe Streep had fun with it but there wasn't much to it.

Forum List

Back