Atlantis found?

Isaac Brock

Sep 28, 2003
If this holds its weight, we might just have the greatest archeological discovery in over one hundred years!

Full story

LIMASSOL, Cyprus (AP) -- An American researcher claimed Sunday to have discovered the remains of the legendary lost city of Atlantis on the bottom of the east Mediterranean Sea. But Cyprus' chief government archaeologist was skeptical.

Robert Sarmast said sonar scanning of the seabed between east Cyprus and Syria revealed man-made walls, one as long as 3 kilometers (2 miles), and trenches at a depth of 1,500 meters (1,640 yards).

"It is a miracle we found these walls as their location, and lengths match exactly the description of the acropolis of Atlantis provided by Plato in his writings," Sarmast said, referring to the ancient Greek philosopher.

If it's Atlantis or not, looks like he made a significant discovery of something, or re-discovery as it were. I don't know if they have any of those robots with the camaras that can get that deep, but it will be interesting to follow.

Cool stuff, Issac!

I've always found the story of Atlantis fascinating.

There's a very interesting show I've seen a couple of times on the History Channel about the search, and the closest match I can see (up to this discovery) is the mysterious Bimany (sp?) Road in the Bermuda area.

I tend to think that old legends such as Atlantis are founded in truth, as evidenced by the discovery of Sodom and Gomorrah right where they were supposed to be by biblical accounts.

There was another very interesting show about the search for the Garden of Eden... that one remains elusive but it was very fascinating to me. Some think it was in Iraq, some in Africa.

I'll have to keep an eye on this story.

Forum List

Back