Asteroid Apophis Near Impact, Earth

Feb 9, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
FoxNews.com - Doomsday Determined? Asteroid Apophis Could Strike Earth in 2036

asteroid.JPG

The incoming bolide is fairly large and has a 1/250,000 chance of impacting Earth. However, as it comes back around in orbit, it increases substantially the chance of impact, according to the NEAR NASA Program office. Then, it would be closer at about 20,000 miles from Earth. Plans are to do to it what we did with Deep Impact, and ram it, then either move it away or obliterate it with orbital bombarbment.

61354_150600021641987_100000759716724_221517_325284_n.jpg

And here, my own photo real piece I did by commission for NASA, of a bolide impacting the Moon at roughly 60 miles per second. (In The collection of NASA-Smithsonian)

Either way, this is very intriguing. Thought everyone would like to see something about this. Any questions, please post.

Robert

Last edited:
have they run any computer simulations on the probabilities of a deep impact type interdiction actually working vs making things worse?

Why are you amercans so in love to any world destruction prognosis? Ever heard of a "Self fulfilling prophecy"? Where´s the fun in this permanent fear about anything?

Why are you amercans so in love to any world destruction prognosis? Ever heard of a "Self fulfilling prophecy"? Where´s the fun in this permanent fear about anything?

Yeah right, Sauer...

Only Americans might be interested in whether the world has a potential for being totally destroyed by a meteor in 2036.

Must be some kind of flaw in our national character.

Ever heard of a "Self fulfilling prophecy"?

Yes we have.

But apparently, unlike you, we actually understand what that phase refers to.

Here's a hint...a meteor strike won't happen just because we think it might.

Yeah right, Sauer...

Only Americans might be interested in whether the world has a potential for being totally destroyed by a meteor in 2036.

We have history channel, National geographic channel etc.. here too

There is every day at least 1 45min documentary about an asteroid impact
followed by a series about the world without men
followed by a documentary about a global epidemic

and you wonder why you´re driving mad. What will happen if there won´t come an asteroid/pandemic/terrorist takeover/worldwar 3 at all?

Yeah right, Sauer...

and you wonder why you´re driving mad. What will happen if there won´t come an asteroid/pandemic/terrorist takeover/worldwar 3 at all?

Once again, self fulfilling does not apply to Asteroids. Either it will hit us or it won't. Us THINKING it might has no effect on the asteroid or its chances of hitting us.

Good lord how many things are wrong with this post.

The pictures show asteroids with diamters measured in MILES hitting the earth, Apophis is around 900 FEET. While it would suck for people in the region of the impact it is not a planet killer by any stretch of the imagination.

The JPL articles quoted are over 6 years old.

Earth Impact Effects Program

The above link allows you to set up a paramter for the impact of various sized asteriods hiting the earth. As you can see from the scenario I calculated below standing 50 miles away would allow you to survive the event. Catastrophic? Yes, Planet Killing? Hardly.

Calculated Results

Good lord how many things are wrong with this post.

The pictures show asteroids with diamters measured in MILES hitting the earth, Apophis is around 900 FEET. While it would suck for people in the region of the impact it is not a planet killer by any stretch of the imagination.

The JPL articles quoted are over 6 years old.

Earth Impact Effects Program

The above link allows you to set up a paramter for the impact of various sized asteriods hiting the earth. As you can see from the scenario I calculated below standing 50 miles away would allow you to survive the event. Catastrophic? Yes, Planet Killing? Hardly.

Calculated Results

When Three Mile Island melted, I didn't feel a thing.

This isn't Armageddon or Deep Impact. Hell, it's hardly noteworthy. 'Tis a small asteroid with a very remote chance of hitting earth.

have they run any computer simulations on the probabilities of a deep impact type interdiction actually working vs making things worse?

No simulations I know of, but have heard that trying to blow up an asteroid or comet is not the best way to go, because instead of one impact there would be thousands from the debris, very possibly causing more damage than if the intact object had hit. Most scenarios involve landing rocket engines on the object to slowly nudge it into an orbit that would make it miss earth. Of course, to do that you have to find them early, hence the constant lookout for NEOs.

Yeah right, Sauer...

I understand what yer' sayin' Sauer. It's like the mass media is conditioning us to accept the demise of man. Yes, it is inevitable, but it does seem like some do want to speed up the process.

I wouldn't call that an exclusively American ideal though.

If you make people think they world is ending soon they dont plan for long term improvements.

Someone doesnt want Americans thinking in long term ideas.

Christianity helps them keep people from planning long term.

The current monied interests.

Keeping us stupid, shortsighted and unprepaired makes it easy for them to control the economy.

Forgive me, I do not understand the question. Rephrase please.

Robert
in your link they talked about a possibility of doing a deep impact(the one where they had a probe impact on a comet i few months back) and attempting to change the trajectory of this bolide so it either hits another planet or is destroyed in the asteroid belt

Forum List

Back