Asteroid Apophis Near Impact, Earth

If you make people think they world is ending soon they dont plan for long term improvements.

Someone doesnt want Americans thinking in long term ideas.

Christianity helps them keep people from planning long term.

now we´re coming a bit closer...

And who wants us to stay away from long term planning?
this is utter stupidity
NASA is actually tracking this

Well if the planet is destroyed in 2012 then it won't be here to be hit in 2036. :eek: :lol:

Of course how big is the possible error in 25 years? The planet is a measly 8,000 miles in diameter. So with an orbital radius of 93,000,000 miles in 25 years the Earth will travel 14,608,393,500 miles. How many miles will that asteroid have traveled by then?

The astronomers may be able to say it will be within 1,000,000 miles of Earth in 25 years but I want to know how they can get it more accurate than that.

psik

have they run any computer simulations on the probabilities of a deep impact type interdiction actually working vs making things worse?

Forgive me, I do not understand the question. Rephrase please.

Robert
in your link they talked about a possibility of doing a deep impact(the one where they had a probe impact on a comet i few months back) and attempting to change the trajectory of this bolide so it either hits another planet or is destroyed in the asteroid belt

Ok, this is more clear. No, what they do is move the bolide to simply sail out of the solar system, out toward the Oort Cloud, never to be seen again. If it is a Deep Impact event, as they did to comet 176.E, then they obliterate it. Is that better?

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:
Well if the planet is destroyed in 2012 then it won't be here to be hit in 2036. :eek: :lol:

Of course how big is the possible error in 25 years? The planet is a measly 8,000 miles in diameter. So with an orbital radius of 93,000,000 miles in 25 years the Earth will travel 14,608,393,500 miles. How many miles will that asteroid have traveled by then?

The astronomers may be able to say it will be within 1,000,000 miles of Earth in 25 years but I want to know how they can get it more accurate than that.

psik

There is no planet destruction of us or any other planet in 2012. 2012 is the beginning of the Mayan's 5th pentitute, not an end.

They have it down to one nautical minute i.e.=1 NM is 880 miles.

I do not understand this statement:
So with an orbital radius of 93,000,000 miles in 25 years the Earth will travel 14,608,393,500 miles. How many miles will that asteroid have traveled by then?

Too figure total orbital distance in 25 years is D ƒ Pi (3.1478)x25=N
N=total miles traveled.

The incoming bolide will have long since headed back out to the Oort Cloud of the solar system.

Robert

Good lord how many things are wrong with this post.

The pictures show asteroids with diamters measured in MILES hitting the earth, Apophis is around 900 FEET. While it would suck for people in the region of the impact it is not a planet killer by any stretch of the imagination.

The JPL articles quoted are over 6 years old.

Earth Impact Effects Program

The above link allows you to set up a paramter for the impact of various sized asteriods hiting the earth. As you can see from the scenario I calculated below standing 50 miles away would allow you to survive the event. Catastrophic? Yes, Planet Killing? Hardly.

Calculated Results

Good post. True as well. The ploy here was to get some of the woo woos to espouse. Notice in my piece I did, was a workable scale. The ones Fox is using is so far out there that if something like that hit, it would destroy the Earth. Silly stuff, actually.

Robert

Let's just hope that some secret organization is working on ways to deal with another Earth collision. Might not happen for at least thousands of years but it is bound to happen and just the sheer panic beforehand will be hard enough to deal with, let alone an inevitable collision.
:eusa_hand:

Let's just hope that some secret organization is working on ways to deal with another Earth collision. Might not happen for at least thousands of years but it is bound to happen and just the sheer panic beforehand will be hard enough to deal with, let alone an inevitable collision.
:eusa_hand:
i've been told we will all be safe if we just buy more silver
;)

An ocean impact of even a small body, such as 900', would create an impressive tsunami. The Barringer Crater was created by a body about the size of a boxcar. The crater created by this body would be much larger.

Forum List

Back